• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Never been to Sophia Gardens/SWALEC sStadium before...

TheMinister

Cricket Spectator
I've been lucky enough to win some tickets for the opening day of the Ashes. Never been to SWALEC Stadium before what can I expect?

TheMinister

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the heads up, I've enrolled on a course and hope to be fluent by tomorrow. If I'm not I'll just dispose of the tickets.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you know what percentage of Welsh people can speak Welsh BTW?
For those not versed in the Welsh language, "BTW" is pronounced "baittoo" and it means "enjoy your day at the cricket while we get on with burning your holiday cottage."

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I believe the answer is 20%.

Sums the Welsh up really, can't even speak their own language :ph34r:

stumpski

International Captain
For anyone who can still get hold of a copy (and it might be on the on-line edition) there's a guide to cricket terminogy in Welsh in today's Times.

That ball turned a mile Fe drodd y bel yna filltir

That's a long walk back to the pavilion Taith hir yw'r daith yna nol i'r pafiliwn

He's hit that out of the ground Mae e wedi brww honna mas o'r cae

Richard ... no, but I would guess at between 5 and 10 per cent (able to hold a basic conversation, not necessarily fluent).

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
enjoy your day at the cricket while we get on with burning your holiday cottage. = fedda 'ch ddiwrnod am 'r chriced blwc cawn acha ag yn brydio 'ch ddygwyl benty.

... or so says an online translation engine. Which isn't necessarily 100% accurate: it translates the same sentence back into English as I say {to } ' dogs day about ' group cricket pluck we have astride with burning ' dogs holiday cottage

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I have it on good authority (Scaly told me) that SWALEC stands for Some Welsh Arseholes Looted English Cricket

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
The anthems are going to be a palarva. First of all, Land of my Fathers, then God Save the Queen, then Advance Australia fair, then Jerusalem. By which point Katherine Jenkins may well have lost her voice.