• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ashes Commentary Thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
From reading through the Tour matches thread it is pretty obvious that there are going to be a few gripes about the commentary this summer. I thought it would be good if we had a thread to discuss the ups and downs of the commentary through the summer, even if we are listening to different commentators.

Personally I am delighted that we get Warne as the token convict in the commentary box this summer. I always enjoy listening to his views on the game, and always find him to be fair even though he obviously wants the Aussies to win. Looking forwards to him and Nasser's stints together.

Quite enjoyed the setup we had over here for the 06-07 Ashes mind you, where we had the Sky Sports team but shared commentators with whoever the host broadcaster was over there.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
David Lloyd is the worst commentator going IMO. Just seems to say the same thing every time I hear him commentate on a Lancashire game...

"This Francois du Plessis lad, he can field, I'll tell you that now. He is one of the best fielders in the world according to Mike Watkins." Repeat this every 15 minutes and you can get a good idea about him.

Warmed to Nasser quite a lot as well. Used to find him really irritating, but when he is commentating with fools like Colville and Lloyd, he just looks so much better.

I'd go with Holding, Hussain, Knight and Atherton being good and the rest being crap. Should be really interesting listening to Warne as well, never afriad to speak his mind and will obviously have some insightful stuff to say.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I like Knight as well actually, seems to be dividing opinion at the minute, mind you most of them do. Is he in the box for the Ashes?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Hmm. I don't think so, but I could be wrong. They usually go with Hussain, Loyd, Atherton and Holding, plus someone from the country who England are playing. That's in England Test Matches anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He'll probably get a bit of studio time then. Personally I want Willis back in the booth, and none of this rota crap, he can commentate all day, him and Warney, now that would be really something

BoyBrumby

Englishman
David Lloyd is the worst commentator going IMO.

Can see why people might not like Bumble, but at least he's not a chippy, sarky **** like Mr Healy. Bumble palpably loves the game and actually knows it well too, as one would expect of a man who's been a test player, county captain, umpire, county coach & national coach. There was an indicative moment yesterday when he ran through players who bowled chinamen in tests; he rattled through at least a dozen off the top of his head.

Closest comparsion for Bumble is Bill Lawry.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
What I don't understand is, is the total lack of insightful comments. I mean, all the commentary team know infinitely more about the game than me, having nearly all played Test cricket and all played county cricket and just generally been in the game for a long, long time. With all that, all they ever seem to say is the blinding obvious and I very rarely sit up and think "God, I never knew that", and I don't even know all that much about cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What I don't understand is, is the total lack of insightful comments. I mean, all the commentary team know infinitely more about the game than me, having nearly all played Test cricket and all played county cricket and just generally been in the game for a long, long time. With all that, all they ever seem to say is the blinding obvious and I very rarely sit up and think "God, I never knew that", and I don't even know all that much about cricket.
Depends what you're after, I suppose. Thought Nasser was very good on Katich & Hughes's trigger movements on the third day.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah good call. That's exactly the sort of thing that I'm interested in, detailed techincal analysis. Also, just stuff like the ins and outs of the proffesional game that 99% of the viewers won't have a clue about, stuff like anecdotes that are interesting rather than repeating the same of cliches when they have nothing other to say.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Can see why people might not like Bumble, but at least he's not a chippy, sarky **** like Mr Healy. Bumble palpably loves the game and actually knows it well too, as one would expect of a man who's been a test player, county captain, umpire, county coach & national coach. There was an indicative moment yesterday when he ran through players who bowled chinamen in tests; he rattled through at least a dozen off the top of his head.

Closest comparsion for Bumble is Bill Lawry.
Bumble doesn't help himself by coming across like an absolute spacker, in all honesty.

While he clearly knows his stuff, he just irritates me too much for me to pay much attention to most things he says.

Hoping Tony Greig won't be near the commentary box this summer, the man is the dictionary definition of a half wit.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I wish Boycott was there though, just watching the 2005 Ashes DVD, love the guy's stuff

howardj

International Coach
Hmm. I don't think so, but I could be wrong. They usually go with Hussain, Loyd, Atherton and Holding, plus someone from the country who England are playing. That's in England Test Matches anyway.

Plus Botham and Gower.

All in all, I find the SKY team quite good, particularly Athers and Nasser.

Warne will be a welcome addtion; I find him quite insightful and very fair.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah good call. That's exactly the sort of thing that I'm interested in, detailed techincal analysis. Also, just stuff like the ins and outs of the proffesional game that 99% of the viewers won't have a clue about, stuff like anecdotes that are interesting rather than repeating the same of cliches when they have nothing other to say.
I think this would be very hard to do considering most of us watch a lot of cricket and you don't want the commentators repeating themselves!

I'm looking forward to Warne's stint in the box and I'm quite interested in hearing Greg Matthews, Stuart MacGill and Damian Martyn who will be hosting the coverage from the SBS studios, so they'll just talk in the leadup to the day and during drinks and lunch breaks.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
These guys were athletes, not analysts. That's why it's rare to find someone who has leanings towards both. Athletes generally know their own game far, far better than the game itself a lot of the time.

Speaking of which, I think we'll all have a new figure of hate for if/when Jacques Kallis gets behind the mic.

Burgey

Must say Nasser is insightful. Can't stand Willis though.

I tend to thinl the Ashes probably brings out the worst in both Australian and English commentators tbh. It's certainly brings out the worst in me :).

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Generally we are probably quite hard on cricket commentators. The standard of cricket commentary is exemplary if you compare it to football commentary, where i don't think there is a single decent commentator anymore.

Uppercut

I'm definitely warming to Nasser. Bumble still ****s me, but it's mainly just him. Holding has an epic voice.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Miss david Hookes, he was the best.

I dont mind or get too worked up about whose commentating really, i dont depend on them for analysis. But if they have to make a solid point, well fair enough.