Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ashes Commentary Thread

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I take it you're not serious.

They should get some tips off Australia if that's the case, they seem to have chosen a 'good ball' twice. If they were using Gabba balls they'd have some reason to complain.

I've personally never been involved in a game where a ball did nothing at all for the whole innings. Although it would be strange if bowlers of that caliber got nothing out of it.
    I've been involved in several - in fact one was just last Saturday. And no, it wasn't because I was doing anything different - I bowled exactly as I always bowl, and it did sod-all, where usually it'll do plenty.

It's not a case of getting tips, just about whether you pick lucky. There's no way of knowing how much a ball is or isn't going to do until you bowl with it. Really, bowlers should just be allowed to try a delivery or four with a ball before choosing whether they're going to use it.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Best commentary however in my opinion is on the radio, wish we got Jonathan Agnew on TV.
    I'm not sure if the likes of Aggers, CMJ and Henry would be suited to TV TBH. The reason they're so good is that they can build a picture of the scene with words - something TV alleviates the need for.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Very true. Great "analyst", but quite surprisingly it turns out that he's completely out of his depth as a commentator.
    On (I think) his first tour as an actual commentator, in Pakistan in 2000/01 (where Dermot Reeve and himself did the entire series, as well as the next one in Sri Lanka, as well as the accompanying ODIs on both tours), I thought as much.

One such moment was "I think there's only Thorpe and our cameraman know where that shot went!"

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Well it does mean you're less likely to have done something wrong TBH, but given that you can only make the choice of which shot to play based on what ball you receive it's pretty moot either way.

Seriously though, have you read from some people who've been coached by him? The insistence that he understands and believes in the virtues of only the forward-defence is quite wrong. Boycott is an excellent understander of the art of batting.
    He's also given plenty of praise for the way KP plays in the past. I think all he's trying to say is that players should be able to adjust their games according to the situation, not that they should block all the time. And that seems fair enough.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Well it does mean you're less likely to have done something wrong TBH, but given that you can only make the choice of which shot to play based on what ball you receive it's pretty moot either way.

Seriously though, have you read from some people who've been coached by him? The insistence that he understands and believes in the virtues of only the forward-defence is quite wrong. Boycott is an excellent understander of the art of batting.
    I don't doubt his knowledge of the game, but I think his attitude is either a cause or a symptom of severe negativity that damages English cricket. I don't think it's a coincidence that your undisputed best batsman is not English, is the most attacking one in the team, and is also (somehow) the one who draws the most criticism.

There's an attitude here that if you get out trying to score runs you've "thrown your wicket away" or "played a silly shot and let the team down" and that's not good for business. You're much better served stonewalling and waiting for the bowler to nick you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I don't doubt his knowledge of the game, but I think his attitude is either a cause or a symptom of severe negativity that damages English cricket. I don't think it's a coincidence that your undisputed best batsman is not English, is the most attacking one in the team, and is also (somehow) the one who draws the most criticism.

There's an attitude here that if you get out trying to score runs you've "thrown your wicket away" or "played a silly shot and let the team down" and that's not good for business. You're much better served stonewalling and waiting for the bowler to nick you out.
    ?

James Michael "Jimmy" Anderson (born 30 July 1982 in Burnley, Lancashire) is an English cricketer. He plays first-class cricket for Lancashire County Cricket Club and since bursting onto the scene in 2002/03, before his first full season of county cricket, Anderson has represented England in 30 Test matches and over 100 One Day Internationals.[2]
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I don't doubt his knowledge of the game, but I think his attitude is either a cause or a symptom of severe negativity that damages English cricket.
    I think unfounded talk of severe negativity damages English cricket more than any negativity does TBH. Some people believe that negativity is the cause of all evil in cricket - it just isn't true. A good batsman has as much chance of succeeding playing expansively as playing circumspectly - it just depends on what style comes best to him.
    I don't think it's a coincidence that your undisputed best batsman is not English, is the most attacking one in the team, and is also (somehow) the one who draws the most criticism.
    Pietersen draws criticism when he's out to good bits of bowling without - in that shot - trying to play particularly expansively. See the Headingley second-innings last summer for instance.

Pietersen is just one of those unfortunate souls who people like to criticise. Doubtless to some extent it's self-inflicted. But it happens just about all the time. Pietersen is the sort of batsman who people expect 150 off every time he walks to the crease.
    As much in the other direction in my experience. Players criticised for not looking to impose themselves hard enough.

gimh

On (I think) his first tour as an actual commentator, in Pakistan in 2000/01 (where Dermot Reeve and himself did the entire series, as well as the next one in Sri Lanka, as well as the accompanying ODIs on both tours), I thought as much.

One such moment was "I think there's only Thorpe and our cameraman know where that shot went!"
    Blimey. Must have been knackering. I wonder where Dermot Reeve got all the energy from?

But you don't wonder where Yoz got it?

Pietersen is the sort of batsman who people expect 158 off every time he walks to the crease.
    Fixed (predictably)

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Enjoying Warne, just like listening to him tbh, brings a bit of balance as well as he is unashamedly biased, but fair at the same time

Also, Charles Colville just labelled Mitchell Johnson's bowling as "tosh"

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Enjoying Warne, just like listening to him tbh, brings a bit of balance as well as he is unashamedly biased, but fair at the same time

Also, Charles Colville just labelled Mitchell Johnson's bowling as "tosh"
    I've rarely seen such a lot of tosh from a non-English frontline bowler as I've seen from Johnson in the last Test and a half. The good wicket-taking balls notwithstanding.

Colvile isn't as crap as he used to be. One cricket fanzine in the early 90s used to refer to him as "That Dickhead Colvile" or TDC for short which always struck me as entirely apt. But since then I've come to accept him, much as one might, I suppose, learn to live with a chronic social disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Sky is soooooooo much better than C9 that it makes me cry thinking about having to listen to Bill, Tony and Healy.
    AWTA Bumble, Nass and Holding **** all over the C9 crew

my god, macgill is painful to watch.

it's like looking a train wreck - you know you shouldn't, but there's a macabre thing that makes you.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information