Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Ashes Commentary Thread

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Preser?

I suppose, monotonous as it is, if you're going to have commentators at all then you've got to expect criticism for abysmal performances such as England's this Test, never mind second-innings.
    Presser, sorry
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think Swann was whinging about it at the preser as wel, FWIW.

Anyway, loving Boycs on TMS pre-lunch absolutely launching into the England batting.
    Boycs has a point in a situation like this, but in general I think he just damages English cricket from the roots up with his insistence that it's somehow better to get out playing a defensive shot than an attacking one.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I take it you're not a bowler then?
    I take it you're not serious.

They should get some tips off Australia if that's the case, they seem to have chosen a 'good ball' twice. If they were using Gabba balls they'd have some reason to complain.

I've personally never been involved in a game where a ball did nothing at all for the whole innings. Although it would be strange if bowlers of that caliber got nothing out of it.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 12-07-2009 at 09:31 AM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Sky is soooooooo much better than C9 that it makes me cry thinking about having to listen to Bill, Tony and Healy.
    God, yeah. I hate David Lloyd, but overall the Sky team is really pretty solid, while the Nine team is dismal and getting worse each year.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Bit of a faux pas from Nasser just then, "you've got to believe that someone has to stay with Collingwood."

Well yes Nasser, I don't think the rules allow him to bat on his own
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Boycs has a point in a situation like this, but in general I think he just damages English cricket from the roots up with his insistence that it's somehow better to get out playing a defensive shot than an attacking one.
    Boycs makes the ocasssional good point but he has the soul destroying habit of repeating it about 100 times in the space of 5 minutes, sometimes he makes the same point twice in the same sentance,

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Any idea why Bob Willis seems to have been demoted from his commentary position with Sky? I always liked listening to him more than most of the others

As for the Sky Commentators, I think they are all for the most part pretty good, Channel 5 on the other hand is a different matter entirely, I can't stand Mark Nicholas, Simon Hughes is awful as well, and Boycott is indeed very irritating.

Best commentary however in my opinion is on the radio, wish we got Jonathan Agnew on TV.

Willis hasn't commentated on home internationals since Sky got Tests. Much better suited to the highlight rants IMO.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Willis hasn't commentated on home internationals since Sky got Tests. Much better suited to the highlight rants IMO.
    Hmmm yes, probably true, his rants are fantastic though, and usually spot on imo, if a little over the top on occasion.

My favourite ever Willis moment was during the MCG Test in 06-07. He was asked on the day 2 or 3 (I can't remember which) highlights whether England could win. He glared right into the camera and very firmly went, "no!" It was awesome.

Warnie will be joining SKY from Lords onwards.

ANd how utterly dire is MacGill on SBS.

Compare him to Nick McArdle hosting on Fox

You don't appreciate how difficult it is to host one of those things until you see a clutz like MacGill try to sound natural while talking to the camera.
    Last edited by howardj; 13-07-2009 at 05:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Any idea why Bob Willis seems to have been demoted from his commentary position with Sky? I always liked listening to him more than most of the others

As for the Sky Commentators, I think they are all for the most part pretty good, Channel 5 on the other hand is a different matter entirely, I can't stand Mark Nicholas, Simon Hughes is awful as well, and Boycott is indeed very irritating.

Best commentary however in my opinion is on the radio, wish we got Jonathan Agnew on TV.
    Shame about Simon Hughes because he is a very interesting person to listen and read about cricket, he is just pretty poor at commentating. Much better when he was just the analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Stuart McGill has progress from awkward to just slightly awkward on the SBS coverage. I thought Simon Hill did a top job last time round, even if he did support the wrong team!
    Agree. Also, Greg Matthews provided quite an interesting analysis of play during the lunch and tea breaks of the SBS First Test television coverage. As I tend to switch back and forth between Fox Sport and SBS, it should be noted that Mark Waugh (Fox) is great value. As a recent player I guess, he provides quite a strong understanding of the state of play, and the strengths and weaknesses of players in each side.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothas View Post
    Shame about Simon Hughes because he is a very interesting person to listen and read about cricket, he is just pretty poor at commentating. Much better when he was just the analyst.
    Very true. Great "analyst", but quite surprisingly it turns out that he's completely out of his depth as a commentator.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Well it does mean you're less likely to have done something wrong TBH, but given that you can only make the choice of which shot to play based on what ball you receive it's pretty moot either way.

Seriously though, have you read from some people who've been coached by him? The insistence that he understands and believes in the virtues of only the forward-defence is quite wrong. Boycott is an excellent understander of the art of batting.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information