• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Ashes Commentary Thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Colvile isn't as crap as he used to be. One cricket fanzine in the early 90s used to refer to him as "That Dickhead Colvile" or TDC for short which always struck me as entirely apt. But since then I've come to accept him, much as one might, I suppose, learn to live with a chronic social disease.
I don't mind Colville as a presenter and commentator, it's when he tries to venture assessments of players that he's cringeworthy.

chicane

State Captain
Sky have got a good commentary team, with the added value of Ian Botham's epic, perfectly timed comments.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Can someone tell the SBS guys that England have declared.

I think it was announced over 20 minutes ago that Australia will batting first up, instead they are talking about Johnson and Hauritz bowling today. Check Cricinfo or CW ffs MacGill.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Warney was a brilliant listen today. i wish he was a permanent addition to the Sky team.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warney was a brilliant listen today. i wish he was a permanent addition to the Sky team.
Yeah, a few of us were saying the same thing in the match thread. Was basically still watching purely for his commentary at one stage just after the fifth wicket fell.

Matt79

Global Moderator
They could stop plugging the SBS website so often also!
Reminds me of a skit on the 'That Webb Look' or whatever its called, where they were taking off the BBC news crew for the same thing. They announced that aliens had invaded and were liquidating Earth's population centres and then cut to the guy saying "and if you have a view on these aliens, please let us know via SMS or email". Went on for a bit which I won't try to repeat here, but was the best skit I've seen on that show.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Reminds me of a skit on the 'That Webb Look' or whatever its called, where they were taking off the BBC news crew for the same thing. They announced that aliens had invaded and were liquidating Earth's population centres and then cut to the guy saying "and if you have a view on these aliens, please let us know via SMS or email". Went on for a bit which I won't try to repeat here, but was the best skit I've seen on that show.
No way was it the best. That award's been sewn up easily:

YouTube - Mitchell and Webb Cricket

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Rory Bremner doing some brilliant impressions of commentators on SSN right now, especially Boycott, Bumble and Blowers.

pasag

RTDAS
Day 5 commentating yesterday was the best I've heard on TV in a long time. Didn't overdo it or ramble on about fairytales and scripts but at the same time acknowledging the enormity of the occasion pretty well. All without much gloating at all.

Midwinter

State Captain
For us Aussies, it's a delight every four years to be able to listen the english cricket commentors.

The range of accents is facinating , the breadth of knowledge of the game , the occasional insights into the county system and also the lookback at the "highlights" of the careers of the commentors, at all levels.

What comes through is the love of the game at all levels, from playing at school or in the park all the way through to the test level. It's usually a highlight of a dark, damp winter over here.

The snide humour of Hussain and the amiable gentle irony of Atherton and the sheer sense of wonderment of Bumble. Blowers Agger's, Boycs and Vic Marks on the radio are good fun as well.

But am I the only person who realises that Shane Warne, Matthew Hayden and Ian Botham have NO sense of humour.

Warne knows a lot about the game but can't crack a joke to save himself, Hayden sounds like he has never heard about "humour" and Botham is so straitlaced he must be wearing a corset..

Sorry fellas, you're spoiling my cricket. Can you lighten up a bit and join in the fun ?