Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: The Ashes Commentary Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    No way was it the best. That award's been sewn up easily:

YouTube - Mitchell and Webb Cricket
    "I've seen" being the important qualification to that comment...

Here's the link for the one I was thinking of:
    YouTube - Mitchell & Webb: Alien invasion
    Last edited by Matt79; 20-07-2009 at 03:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Rory Bremner doing some brilliant impressions of commentators on SSN right now, especially Boycott, Bumble and Blowers.

Day 5 commentating yesterday was the best I've heard on TV in a long time. Didn't overdo it or ramble on about fairytales and scripts but at the same time acknowledging the enormity of the occasion pretty well. All without much gloating at all.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    "I've seen" being the important qualification to that comment...

Here's the link for the one I was thinking of:
    YouTube - Mitchell & Webb: Alien invasion
    I Mitchell and Webb, but the laugh track is so annoying
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

U19 12th Man
    For us Aussies, it's a delight every four years to be able to listen the english cricket commentors.

The range of accents is facinating , the breadth of knowledge of the game , the occasional insights into the county system and also the lookback at the "highlights" of the careers of the commentors, at all levels.

What comes through is the love of the game at all levels, from playing at school or in the park all the way through to the test level. It's usually a highlight of a dark, damp winter over here.

The snide humour of Hussain and the amiable gentle irony of Atherton and the sheer sense of wonderment of Bumble. Blowers Agger's, Boycs and Vic Marks on the radio are good fun as well.

But am I the only person who realises that Shane Warne, Matthew Hayden and Ian Botham have NO sense of humour.

Warne knows a lot about the game but can't crack a joke to save himself, Hayden sounds like he has never heard about "humour" and Botham is so straitlaced he must be wearing a corset..

Sorry fellas, you're spoiling my cricket. Can you lighten up a bit and join in the fun ?

Great post, Midwinter. I agree with you on almost all fronts.

One person who's surprised me though has been Matthew Hayden. Couldn't stand him as a player, but as a commentator he has come across really well. Sure, he lacks a sense of humour and gets far too carried away with his cod psychology bollocks but he's an interesting and interested contributor.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    One person who's surprised me though has been Matthew Hayden. Couldn't stand him as a player, but as a commentator he has come across really well. Sure, he lacks a sense of humour and gets far too carried away with his cod psychology bollocks but he's an interesting and interested contributor.
    Absolutely. Forget any of the players, Matthew Hayden has been my 'shock performer of the series'.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Don't agree about Shane Warne. I find him absolutely fascinating to listen to, simply because he's not shy of talking about stuff. When he's asked about dressing room drama in 2005, or whether Ravi Bopara is any good, he gives straight answers. It works particularly well in England because commentators over here are notoriously shy of expressing actual opinions at times.

The Sherminator jokes need cut though.
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Anyone else see the Shane Warne legspin masterclass with Will Beer and Max Waller during the lunch break yesterday? Absolutely oustanding.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Anyone else see the Shane Warne legspin masterclass with Will Beer and Max Waller during the lunch break yesterday? Absolutely oustanding.
    Haha yeah it was brilliant. Comes off as a really nice guy, would be easy for him to be a bit of a knob, but he seemed really encouraging and helpful to the young lads. Not sure whether that reflects his off-field persona though. Loved it how he could still bowl better than them as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    Haha yeah it was brilliant. Comes off as a really nice guy, would be easy for him to be a bit of a knob, but he seemed really encouraging and helpful to the young lads. Not sure whether that reflects his off-field persona though. Loved it how he could still bowl better than them as well
    Yeah he was miles, miles better than them. The only one Will Beer managed to turn was his straight one.

Thought the commentary was on the whole pretty good this series, having not had sky for the last couple of years I was not sure what to expect but enjoyed most of the commentators, none of them are awful although Beefy and Bumble do test the patience a little. Was never going to be better than TMS but it was pretty solid, did commit the obvious sin of commentary and general media coverage which was to state the obvious a fair bit and more anoyingly hype up some of the the important aspects of a game.

Cricket Spectator
    I thought Russell Crowe made a good fist of it when he stood in as 3rd man.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    I got a bit sick of the Sky team constantly suggesting (demanding?) changes to the field towards the end of the series TBH. It seemed to be every few overs towards the end, mainly led by Warne and Hussain, but followed even by the likes of Atherton, who otherwise was simply superb throughout. Most of what they were saying made sense but their detached view ends up becoming thinly-veiled and over-indulgent criticism of Strauss.

Just thanking Christ that we didn't have to listen to Mark Nicholas, would have compared everything back to 2005, would have claimed it to be as good a series as four years ago, and pretty much ruined the whole series.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread Information