• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The last Ashes without referrals – a running tally of umpiring errors

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So, we're on 6-4 Australia on n\os, and 5-1 England on outs (and 5 in a row against Australian batsmen).

Given that with bad outs you never really know what might've been, whereas with bad n\os you know exactly what would've been, it's harder to assess the impact with one than the other... but I'd still say that pretty much all errors so far have made no impact on a match. England were certain to win at Lord's long before the errors started piling-up in their favour; the Edgbaston game was always going to be a draw regardless of pretty much anything with all that lost play; the SWALEC match the errors favoured Australia and they still couldn't win. :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bowden making an error against Australia - can count on one hand the number of times that's happened before.

Anyway in common with the rest of the errors this series that counted for sod-all, didn't it?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Beside the point. We're not talking 50/50's here, some of the decisions have been pretty awful. It's indicative of low umpiring standards and that it hasn't cost anyone big (yet) is irrelevant to the fact that something should be done about it.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Beside the point. We're not talking 50/50's here, some of the decisions have been pretty awful. It's indicative of low umpiring standards and that it hasn't cost anyone big (yet) is irrelevant to the fact that something should be done about it.
It's not beside the point. The thread is specifically about errors and their impact on the series. The impact of Strauss being given out 16 balls and 3 runs sooner is the only point for discussion. The generally crap umpires should get a thread of their own.

Top_Cat

It's not beside the point. The thread is specifically about errors and their impact on the series. The impact of Strauss being given out 16 balls and 3 runs sooner is the only point for discussion. The generally crap umpires should get a thread of their own.
Nah, what I meant was that I take issue with Rich's assertion that the saw-offs have had no impact on the series. I don't think you can conclusively say that. For example, Michael Clarke's LBW at Edgbaston was followed by a burst of wickets. Had Aus's best batsman of the series not been given out, he might have gotten a score. Or he might have just been party to watching the burst happen at the other end. Who knows?

Dispute there was not enough time to win the match either, was live until late on day 5. Had Aus posted a better total in the first innings....... Point is, it's all sliding doors once you assume something different on a particular event.

Top_Cat

Huss's out a bit iffy for mine. Hawkeye had it just touching leg-stump and balls angling in from around the wicket are usually tough to give.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke possibly gloved that, hard to tell. Looks like a glove behind though. An understandable not out call though.

King Pietersen

International Captain
He gloved it, it hit the wristband and the inner (which I believe is part of the glove). Would have been given out if we had a referral system in place, so it's an error.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Bopara sawn off in the second innings at Headingley. That could be costly for England.
The selectors might consider he was unlucky and give him another chance.

pup11

International Coach
Bopara's been sawn off twice in this series. Cheating Aussie bastards :@
Yeah, Bops was slightly unlucky yesterday, but you gotta say it was only a matter of time with him, he has virtually been Hilfy' bunny in this series, and not only that Bops has got out in identical fashion a lot of times in this series.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I've only seen the replay in full time, no close-ups. Obviously it sounds like he edged it, but it looked way outside the line. Did it actually hit him in line, and the only problem was the edge, or was it wrong on two counts?