Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Steve Harmison for the first Test?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in for Onions

10 19.23%
  • Yes, in for Broad

12 23.08%
  • No

24 46.15%
  • Undecided

6 11.54%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Harmison

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    All 4 of them - they were a great pack of fast bowlers operating as a unit.
    and trying to replicate it will be a sound tactic

Fact is Harmison will ALWAYS be dangerous in England, once he gets the right conditions. Its no coincidence that last year vs SA at the in the Oval test & ODI's he was bowling 90+, then suddenly on flat winter decks he ambling @ 80-85. But now is right back up to "potentially" his intimidating best.

The other point about Harmison (when he's bowling decently), and I don't expect you to agree with this Richard but I regard it as pretty important, is that batsmen don't like facing him. He unsettles them. This helps to build up pressure on the batting line-up. Even when he wasn't taking wickets, he was a factor in the success of the England team in 2005. It's intangible in that it isn't necessarily obvious from his bowling figures, but anecdotal evidence from people who have actually been involved in both teams is pretty powerful.
    Word, put all stats aside for the moment. When Harmo is hitting 90+, batsmen find him very uncomfortable to face. They clearly don't go out thinking "oh he has been mediocre since 2004"...
    Last edited by aussie; 03-07-2009 at 05:28 PM.

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    Fact is Harmison will ALWAYS be dangerous in England, once he gets the right conditions. Its no coincidence that last year vs SA at the in the Oval test & ODI's he was bowling 90+, then suddenly on flat winter decks he ambling @ 80-85. But now is right back up to "potentially" his intimidating best.
    One fine yorker to dismiss Amla (iirc) aside, Harmison did nothing in that Test.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    No, but you see my point surely, i.e that he went from being beyond awesome, to a passenger
    In theory that how it seems, but factual thats not what happened. Sidebottom becoming a passenger is basically down to his injury woes. Unlike Harmison who has never been able to replicate his 7 test performance of 2004, consistently.

You could argue that his injury woes are partially down to poor fitness on his part, though

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International 12th Man
    Hopefully the selecters are stupid enough not to pick Harmison because he'll cause our batsman far more problems then Broad will. Harmison's troubled our best batsman in the past, Ricky Ponting and our inform batsman Phillip Hughes and I don't see Broad causing any problems for these two.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The Australians apparently thought Harmison was bowling well in 2005 too - he still made sod-all contribution to the four matches England dominated.
    He made the captian draw blood and didn't show any concern, set the tone which puts his name in the forefront of the mind when looking for a key moment in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by wfdu_ben91 View Post
    Hopefully the selecters are stupid enough not to pick Harmison because he'll cause our batsman far more problems then Broad will. Harmison's troubled our best batsman in the past, Ricky Ponting and our inform batsman Phillip Hughes and I don't see Broad causing any problems for these two.
    Agreed.

Ask the Aussies who they would least like in the team on Wednesday. I bet they mention Harmison before Onions and Broad. That doesn't mean that the latter two are useless; just that Harmison should be picked ahead of them.

International 12th Man
    I don't really see what the poms are complaining about. If Harmison takes 1-60 and that one wicket is Hughes cheaply then it's better then having Hughes flay the rest of the England bowlers to all parts and play a brilliant knock that seperates the two teams.

Maybe. We'll see. Broad had too much for Sarwan recently, with intelligent aggressive fast bowling - exactly the sort of stuff we wish Harmison could produce more regularly.

I don't really see what the poms are complaining about. If Harmison takes 1-60 and that one wicket is Hughes cheaply then it's better then having Hughes flay the rest of the England bowlers to all parts and play a brilliant knock that seperates the two teams.
    A slight overstatement. If your fast bowler takes 1-60 in every innings, he will be rightly dropped, even if the wicket he gets is a top-order player. Hughes is a really good prospect and was in great form until recently but I don't think England will be, or should be, quite as worried about him as you seem to think. You may also be underestimating the rest of the England attack, which is pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    He made the captian draw blood and didn't show any concern, set the tone which puts his name in the forefront of the mind when looking for a key moment in the series.
    An excellent point

International 12th Man
    Maybe. We'll see. Broad had too much for Sarwan recently, with intelligent aggressive fast bowling - exactly the sort of stuff we wish Harmison could produce more regularly.
    With all due respect to Ramnaresh Sarwan, he is not in the same class as Katich, Hughes, Ponting, Hussey and Clarke. I've seen Broad bowl over the last few months and he didn't look nearly as threatening as what Harmison was to Hughes and Ponting.

If that were right then on the basis Sarwan has 6 centuries and 3 half centuries in his last dozen tests England might as well give up now

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread Information