Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Steve Harmison for the first Test?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, in for Onions

10 19.23%
  • Yes, in for Broad

12 23.08%
  • No

24 46.15%
  • Undecided

6 11.54%
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Steve Harmison

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Oh, absolutely, Davies' Bruce Reid esque fitness record counts heaps against him, and throughout his career no-one has ever seriously considered him for Test cricket mainly because of that. But right now, Davies still has a far better career to date than Onions; it's up to Onions to maintain the sort of form he's shown this season to try and change that.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Davies has had a poor year this year too, tbf.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

FBU
    ASHES 2009: Steve Harmison says 'let me at the Aussies'! Bowler admits he's desperate for one last crack at the Ashes | Mail Online

Has plans to go to South Africa. I would think he would want to play in every match but Strauss and Flower are favourites of horses for courses and that would not suit Harmison who needs to be bowling in every Test.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Harmison in for Broad weakens the batting, and with two tests to go and a 1-0 lead England won't be looking to do that. If Flintoff goes down, they'll probably bring in another batsman from somewhere like they did in 2005.

Meanwhile, Onions has done what he did for Durham all year and demonstrated how much better he is than his county team-mate these days. Harmison's prospects for playing another test at all look bleak- unless Onions himself breaks down.
    If you go by the handful of games this season then yes Onions has done very well. Last season Harmison, Thorp and Davies all did much better than Onions. It's pointless jumping to such conclusions.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 2015.
    Author of Word Addict
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    ECB - you are a complete ****ing disgrace, #FTECB

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    If you go by the handful of games this season then yes Onions has done very well. Last season Harmison, Thorp and Davies all did much better than Onions. It's pointless jumping to such conclusions.
    I was only really referring to Harmison, and their performances for England are absolutely incomparable too. Davies is the Durham player I'd back over Onions if it weren't for his fitness issues (which are looking pretty bleak for life, unfortunately).

His wicket-taking form for Durham aside, the area where Onions really has the wood over Harmison is in his ability to bowl long spells. Harmison's speed often drops after his first spell, as it did in the Lions game even when he was bowling rather well. I suspect that with memories of great Harmison spells several years ago a lot of people (especially Aussies) weren't ready to accept the idea that Onions might just be the bowler you'd prefer in the side at the moment.

Regardless of which bowler you prefer, it's hard to argue that on any of the pitches used so far Harmison would have been effective, and Headingley's unlikely to suit him either. At the Oval, maybe.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    Davies has had a poor year this year too, tbf.
    Didn't play until this month or so and has done OK-ish since getting on the park. He's had his usual struggle with fitness, but aside from that has done moreorless what you'd expect.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Wrong link?

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Wrong link?
    Nah, spam.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Code:
    Pixie Caramels won by an Innings and 258 runs.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FBU View Post
    ASHES 2009: Steve Harmison says 'let me at the Aussies'! Bowler admits he's desperate for one last crack at the Ashes | Mail Online

Has plans to go to South Africa. I would think he would want to play in every match but Strauss and Flower are favourites of horses for courses and that would not suit Harmison who needs to be bowling in every Test.
    If Harmison retired after this summer, he would be downright stupid because assuming he doesn't completely lose his head, he will be in the starting XI for the first test in SA with Flintoff bowing out at the end of the summer.

I'm not a big fan of the whole, 'I'm exhausted from all the traveling' BS either. One would think with his record and severe under performance this decade that he would want to rectify that before the end of his career. He's still got a lot to prove in his test career, and I hope that he will continue to bowl his heart out to stake a place in the England side.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

My pre-Ashes miscallenous prediction:

England to complete their "abusive lover" cycle with Steve Harmison by welcoming him back into the side, only to unceremoniously drop him again when they realise he's no good any more. Onlookers will say for the millionth time that it's probably the last we'll see of him, but it won't be.
    Could set your clock by it.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Johnners's Avatar
    Looked buggered 3 overs into his spell on the first afternoon imo, so unfit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Yeah, that's what I was so surprised about. Maybe he can get away with it at County cricket, but he doesn't maintain the intensity required at Test level.

Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    I'd be very interested to actually see him bowling in a county match, I just can't imagine that he is this bad all the time, either that or he is doing a masterful job at duping the inept selection panel.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was so surprised about. Maybe he can get away with it at County cricket, but he doesn't maintain the intensity required at Test level.
    Why so surprised? It's exactly what happened in the tour games tbf. In the West Indies he was good for one spell then ****ed for the series.

Might be my TV, but seems to have put on a lot of weight since I saw him last (vs SA last year maybe?)
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread Information