Page 1 of 240 1231151101 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 3591
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: *Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

  1. #1
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401

    *Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

    Already heaps of discussion on the match, mostly centred on whether the pitch will be a Bunsen or whether it'll be a Bunsen.

    So I say - first off, don't take it as read that it'll be a rank turner. It's certainly quite possible, but by no means as likely as some seem to be making-out.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    DRS Box
    Posts
    18,989
    In 3 games at Cardiff this year, 69 wickets have fallen and 2263 runs have been scored.

    52 wickets have fallen to the seamers (at a cost of 27.79 per wicket)
    17 wickets have fallen to the spinners (at a cost of 44.65 per wicket)

    2 bowlers have taken more than 5 wickets in an innings (Wigley & Dernbach)
    3 bowlers have taken 4 wickets in an innings (Harrison, Shantry, Kruger)

    runs have been scored at 3.1 an over, which isn't great by CC standards.

    It should be noted that the second division is using windballs this year.
    Last edited by superkingdave; 24-06-2009 at 04:16 AM.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

  3. #3
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    The identity of the two bowlers who've taken five-fors suggests England mightn't be ill-advised to pick Saj after all. Evidently this season it's a ground for some of the worst seam bowlers you'll see at the level concerned to get five-fors.

  4. #4
    International Coach morgieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dishing out broken ****ing floggings
    Posts
    11,113
    Oh well, at least it's seam friendly. Would rage if it was spin friendly.
    5-0

    RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

    Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.


  5. #5
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Why? It wouldn't even be deliberate, as many Aussies seem to have a bizarre idea deliberate preparation of a certain surface is unfair.

  6. #6
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,481
    It will be interesting to how this pitch will turn out. As Richard says, all speculation is that it's going to be a big turner, after all Glamorgan were penalised a few weeks back for the pitch taking excessive spin. There's got to be spin in it, and with the squad selected, the idea of selecting two spinners is certainly in their thoughts, although there are plenty of seam options also.

    So if England do go two spinners, which two ? Swann is a certainty, do they give Rashid a go, in at the deep end, or does a very out of form (judging by the stats) Monty regain his place ? With these the two spin options, perhaps England may play it safe with the extra seamer option.

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    18,125
    Sophia Gardens is such a nice name for a stadium. Swalec sounds like a character from LOTR or something.

  8. #8
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,555
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Why? It wouldn't even be deliberate, as many Aussies seem to have a bizarre idea deliberate preparation of a certain surface is unfair.
    He might rage about it because it wouldn't suit the team he supports Richard.....
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  9. #9
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Sophia Gardens is such a nice name for a stadium. Swalec sounds like a character from LOTR or something.
    Haha, was thinking on the same lines too....

  10. #10
    International Coach pup11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    India
    Posts
    12,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Already heaps of discussion on the match, mostly centred on whether the pitch will be a Bunsen or whether it'll be a Bunsen.

    So I say - first off, don't take it as read that it'll be a rank turner. It's certainly quite possible, but by no means as likely as some seem to be making-out.
    Are the English side trying to create a rank turner at Cardiff, or are conditions invariably like that there, at this time of the year??

  11. #11
    International Debutant inbox24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,108
    Swalec the demon.
    Inappropriate signature.
    --Moderators

  12. #12
    International Regular simmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Kent, England
    Posts
    3,039
    Just got my tickets for the first 2 days play!! Very exciting.

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Are the English side trying to create a rank turner at Cardiff, or are conditions invariably like that there, at this time of the year??
    It's quite common for decent turners to be produced there, but still, precious rarely anything of the sort that is regulation at the Wankhede Stadium Mumbai or Chepauk Stadium Chennai for example. And some people seem to expect that.

    I doubt it'd be impossible to produce one if you really tried - whether they will or not is moot. Certainly, if they make an obvious deliberate effort to do so you can bet the Aussies will cry foul, because as I say apparently in Australia it's seen as poor form to deliberately try to prepare a certain sort of pitch.

    Whether they will really try - and if they do whether they're successful - remains to be seen. Certainly, it'd be a tactic not devoid of sense, as Swann > any spinner Australia have. The trouble is it might well encourage England to pick two spinners, which would indeed be a mistake in my view.

  14. #14
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    It will be interesting to how this pitch will turn out. As Richard says, all speculation is that it's going to be a big turner, after all Glamorgan were penalised a few weeks back for the pitch taking excessive spin. There's got to be spin in it, and with the squad selected, the idea of selecting two spinners is certainly in their thoughts, although there are plenty of seam options also.

    So if England do go two spinners, which two ? Swann is a certainty, do they give Rashid a go, in at the deep end, or does a very out of form (judging by the stats) Monty regain his place ? With these the two spin options, perhaps England may play it safe with the extra seamer option.
    Don't think that's what it was for, just a generally 'sub-standard' surface.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Sophia Gardens is such a nice name for a stadium. Swalec sounds like a character from LOTR or something.
    Don't have a clue of the reasons for the name change (is almost certainly sponsor related, as these things mostly are) but I much preferred the old name as well.

Page 1 of 240 1231151101 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. CW XI Test History
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum Statistics and Records
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 29-11-2007, 05:34 AM
  2. ***Official*** Sri Lanka in India
    By James in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1454
    Last Post: 30-12-2005, 02:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •