• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Burgey may have had his one eye looking elsewhere when that shot was shown.

Perhaps the Australian players just all happen to love jelly beans?
Actually must say bowlers even at the level I play have jellybeans in their pockets and have a munch to get an energy kick thing.

Wouldnt know if it works but I haven't ever heard of them used for reverse. If they are used for that then its obviouis our blokes picked up the England drinks tray in error.

Glad to know I'm in all your thoughts though :).

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I am wary of commenting much on Johnson yet, but it was certainly pleasing to see him have a relatively quiet day. Didn't disgrace himself though, and as I said, I personally thought it was a belter that removed Strauss.
Yeah he didn't bowl all that well. I think he would have been used differently had Brett Lee been playing, prehaps bowling slightly longer spells which might have given him more rythm.

Siddle bowled better than his figures might suggest, good to see him getting the late wickets, he deserved them.

howardj

International Coach
I think both teams would be relatively pleased with today's effort.

When you're put in the field, it's always a good effort to jag seven wickets by stumps. Moreover, I think the Aussie bowlers improved as the day went on and will only be better for the long hit out. I see much scope for improvement, particularly from Siddle. They will learn much from this Test match. I also thought Hauritz did a serviceable job, but his moment of reckoning will be the second innings.

From an English standpoint, as in 2005, when you bat first, runs in the bank are gold. Any time you can get 350+ knowing that you'll be bowling last on a deteriorating wicket, you should feel pretty content. Granted, they didn't put the foot on the throat last night, but this score when you're bowling last will be more than competitive.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Today, six people have said to me something close to "So how come you're interested in cricket?" with a curious/confused look on their face when I joined in a conversation about the match, either at work or out this evening with some friends of a friend.

If someone asks me such tomorrow, I will scream.

Burgey

I think you're being unnecessarily and uncharacteristically generous to the quality of bowling on offer from our criminally-challenged cousins.
I think you're understating what a featherbed they were bowling on and the fact they'll only be better for the run.

Obviously the match will be decided by Australia's 1st innings. If they don't get at least parity then our hygenically-challenged distantly related sub-species will be heavy favourites.

Was nice to see Flintoff enjoy himself yesterday. Smiled more in one arvo than he did on the whole tour of Australia. Genuinely like Fred, seems a decent bloke.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, 700 posts in the 6-and-3\4 hours 9:50-18:35. Even by CW in-match standards, that is quite some effort.

Deduct that and this match only has just under 370 replies. Poor effort IMO.

Woodster

International Captain
On Bopara, it was strange innings really, he played some beautiful shots, one pull, an extra cover drive and a drive through widish mid-on, but on the whole he just looked a little loose. Again his back foot was moving away from the stumps and he was reaching for shots just outside his off-stump. He clearly didn't read any of Johnson's slower ones, and did a look a little foolish with the dismissal.

KP's shot was poor, I also don't necessarily buy into the line he used of scoring a lot of runs with the sweep, yes that's true, but his success rate of scoring runs playing a sweep to a delivery that wide will be none too high. He should have acknowledged the bowler had read his intentions and bailed out, easy in hindsight I know.

I'm not as down as a number of the English fans on here, yes a number of players got in then got out, and it may prove crucial, however, this may also be, or end up, a decent score, let us judge after Australia have batted.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually must say bowlers even at the level I play have jellybeans in their pockets and have a munch to get an energy kick thing.

Wouldnt know if it works but I haven't ever heard of them used for reverse.
Any form of high-sugar food works to improve the shining quality of saliva - which in turn improves the quality of the ball, causing more swing (be it conventional or reverse) and improves the quality of cricket on show because as we all know, swing is an essential ingredient to high-quality cricket.

So in short, mints, jelly-beans and any form of sweet on the cricket field are an unadulterated good thing.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Was great watching last night, even if I fell asleep round 1am our time (just before tea I think).

Was surprised, then impressed by Hilfenhaus. Was heartened to see Hauritz bowl credibly as well.

Pietersen and Collo batted well. Bopara looked very poor, can't see him lasting the series if that was representative. Was fantastic when Siddle hit him in the throat and later the nuts.

Burgey

On Bopara, it was strange innings really, he played some beautiful shots, one pull, an extra cover drive and a drive through widish mid-on, but on the whole he just looked a little loose. Again his back foot was moving away from the stumps and he was reaching for shots just outside his off-stump. He clearly didn't read any of Johnson's slower ones, and did a look a little foolish with the dismissal.

KP's shot was poor, I also don't necessarily buy into the line he used of scoring a lot of runs with the sweep, yes that's true, but his success rate of scoring runs playing a sweep to a delivery that wide will be none too high. He should have acknowledged the bowler had read his intentions and bailed out, easy in hindsight I know.

I'm not as down as a number of the English fans on here, yes a number of players got in then got out, and it may prove crucial, however, this may also be, or end up, a decent score, let us judge after Australia have batted.
Fair call on the total I think. We wait and see.

Bopara- mate I'd be interested to hear thoughts on whether he's a test number 3, or whether he'd be better long term in the middle order. Listening to MacGill last night on tv hosting duties and he was adamant it was the latter.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hilfenhaus looked good when I got home, never saw his bowling earlier on though.
From the sound of things (only watched highlights of later on) he bowled better early than late, but he certainly seems to have done well-ish late too.

As I say - a piece of luck for Australia that he played. Either a selectiorial mistake that paid dividends, or an injury that meant the injury cover brought himself to the table.

Burgey

Any form of high-sugar food works to improve the shining quality of saliva - which in turn improves the quality of the ball, causing more swing (be it conventional or reverse) and improves the quality of cricket on show because as we all know, swing is an essential ingredient to high-quality cricket.

So in short, mints, jelly-beans and any form of sweet on the cricket field are an unadulterated good thing.
You seem to be assuming they don't gobble them down at drinks, which is what our blokes used to do.

Behold as Richard unveils the secrets of reverse swing. Pray tell mate, why then in 05 were they munching on a certain sweet, if they all work?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think Hauritz is a hack (KP should be handed the pearl handled revolver and told to do "the decent thing", having so disgraced himself by getting out to him)
Ah, Willis is giving his view on Pietersen's dismissal now, wish I had some popcorn
Good batsmen play poor shots. Deal with it. Just because you're a top-class batsman doesn't mean you're never going to get out to a nothing bowler.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You seem to be assuming they don't gobble them down at drinks, which is what our blokes used to do.
Nah, assuming nothing of the sort TBH.
Behold as Richard unveils the secrets of reverse swing. Pray tell mate, why then in 05 were they munching on a certain sweet, if they all work?
Probably because they had a mint taste. Mints are like that - very what people often call "moreish". By 2007 they were using jelly-beans, and that worked a treat as well - ball swung lavishly all summer.

Woodster

International Captain
Fair call on the total I think. We wait and see.

Bopara- mate I'd be interested to hear thoughts on whether he's a test number 3, or whether he'd be better long term in the middle order. Listening to MacGill last night on tv hosting duties and he was adamant it was the latter.
I am a fan of Bopara and have been for a number of years (having followed Essex closely), and always thought he would bat in England's top four, but was thinking more of a number 4 than no. 3. I think the England management like his positive approach, and it is widely acknowledged a no. 3 has to cease the attacking opportunity while being solid in times when a more defensive approach is required.

I think today Bopara was too intent on trying to make a positive/aggressive start in the Ashes, I'm not knocking his logic as such, he wanted to stamp his mark down and say strongly he was not going to be dictated to. However, he should have wound his neck in a touch, his reading of situations will no doubt improve, and I do think he has the game to succeed at three should he improve in this area.

He was far too loose for me today, the way he opens up his stumps does not bode well and is surely a technical issue that needs addressing as soon as possible.

Of course we have not accounted for nerves here, and with that perhaps he slipped back into a few bad habits. He generally looks a very cool customer, but will no doubt have been very nervous today.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Jesus, reckon Bopara is getting a bit of unfair stick here. True he did look pretty shabby against Siddle, who bowled well at him, but he is only 24 and this is his 1st Ashes test. The fact that he stuck around, despite clearly not being in good nick showed that he has a pretty good temperament and he didn't even get out as a by-product of being worked over by Siddle. Give him a break.

jive

Cricket Spectator
Hey guys. Enjoyed the cricket today. Reasonably content with England finishing on what they did, I think it's a par score but just disappointed that we didn't take full advantage of the starts we made.

My question to all england and aussie fans is- Would you take England all out for 375 and Australia close on 240-5 with Hussey and Haddin early into their innings at the crease?