Page 5 of 240 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: *Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

Seriously, if McDonald is picked for the first test I will stop supporting Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Note to selectors:

Please, please pick McDonald.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Dumb I told him"the serpent that never dies is dead I took her life three thousend years ago! the never ending battle has ended"

Awesome Test XI

Tillekeratne Dilshan
    Simon Katich
    Ricky Ponting (c)
    Michael Hussey
    Michael Clarke
    AB de Villiers
    Brad Haddin (k)
    Daniel Vettori
    Peter Siddle
    Dong Bollinger
    Ben Hilfenhaus

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by King Pietersen View Post
    Eughhh. The England selectors have screwed us over again. Panesar has done nothing to deserve being picked for the 13, let alone the XI. I'm just hoping that the Cardiff pitch looks green come Wednesday and they go in with Onions. Panesar couldn't get wickets against Glamorgan at Cardiff, what chance is he going to have at getting the Australian Test side out? They should have gone in with 12 and picked Samit Patel, he offers more with bat and ball combined than Bell and MSP.
    Too fat though.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    England squad have been announced. Harmison's not in, but Panesar is and will play ahead of Onions if the pitch suits. Bell's in as cover if any of the batters get injured.
    Hughes breathes a sigh of relief, the rest of the Australian side don't feel so lucky.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Exactly, but we should never let what actually happened get in the way of stupidity.
    McDonald didn't take wickets at "about 20" in South Africa, he took them at 37. But we should never let that get in the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    As a side note, hate the term 'Bunsen' - one of the lamest and on CW overused pieces of slang.

After the tour matches, my Aussie team going in would be
    Katich
    Hughes
    Ponting
    Clarke
    Hussey
    North
    Haddin
    Johnson
    McDonald
    Lee
    Siddle
    12th: Clark

Don't know that Clark has demonstrated he's regained his edge after his injury woes and he was woeful without that edge when last he played.
    I like that team, except I would have Hauritz in for North. However, the selectors cut off their options by not selecting Macca at Sussex or Worcester. I liked the job Macca did with the ball in SA and, as he showed in the last Test, he was always going to improve with the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    McDonald didn't take wickets at "about 20" in South Africa, he took them at 37. But we should never let that get in the way...
    Mate, I reckon he kept the pressure valve on though and operated very well as part of an extremely disciplined bowling battery.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Mate, I reckon he kept the pressure valve on though and operated very well as part of an extremely disciplined bowling battery.
    Sure, but it doesn't mean we can start making up figures for him based on that!

McDonald was a very useful component of that attack indeed IMO. But he's not as useful as Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle or Stuart Clark, and that's why I don't think (nor have I ever thought) that he should play at Cardiff if those four are fit.

Fair enough, I agree with Matt79 though that Clark seems a tad under done and may struggle to make the journey so early in his come back, particularly on what is tipped to be a docile deck.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    England squad have been announced. Harmison's not in, but Panesar is and will play ahead of Onions if the pitch suits. Bell's in as cover if any of the batters get injured.
    Selvey in yesterday's Guardian actually reckoned we might stack the batting with Bell at #6, Prior 7 & Flintoff 8 and Onions/Panesar missing out. Linky.

"England's batting still has a middle-order fragility to it and the prospect of Matt Prior, a fine No7 but suspect at six, may be a risk too far. If this is the case then the second innings from Ian Bell for the Lions, who will be added to the squad, can be instructive."

I'd have said it was unlikely, especially after a scratchy 20, but did see Mike cosying up to Dusty, Ash & Whittaker yesterday, so maybe he has to direct line to the selectors.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    Fair enough, I agree with Matt79 though that Clark seems a tad under done and may struggle to make the journey so early in his come back, particularly on what is tipped to be a docile deck.
    What people seem to be forgetting is that even if the pitch favours turn, it's still in the UK and Cardiff is the rainiest city in the country. You'd expect that there'll be overcast conditions favouring swing at some point in the match, and Clark is as likely as anyone to take advantage.

Even if he's not fully fit, and from what I've seen his fitness is a tad questionable, he's never going to go for runs. He'll still bowl very accurately but a little bit slower- much like McDonald does normally, in fact. What he doesn't bring is lower-order batting and he may struggle to bowl long spells.

On the other hand, if he does find his fitness, he could take ten wickets in cloudy Cardiff and win you the match. I doubt McDonald can do that. Personally, i think it's a risk worth taking.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Selvey in yesterday's Guardian actually reckoned we might stack the batting with Bell at #6, Prior 7 & Flintoff 8 and Onions/Panesar missing out. Linky.

"England's batting still has a middle-order fragility to it and the prospect of Matt Prior, a fine No7 but suspect at six, may be a risk too far. If this is the case then the second innings from Ian Bell for the Lions, who will be added to the squad, can be instructive."

I'd have said it was unlikely, especially after a scratchy 20, but did see Mike cosying up to Dusty, Ash & Whittaker yesterday, so maybe he has to direct line to the selectors.
    Yeah, unusually, Ian Bell didn't even look good when scoring no runs in this match. It's a better balance to the team but they've taken the wrong player. I don't expect him to contribute.

The other issue is, you kinda need another half-bowler of some sort on top of a four-man attack IMO. If only Samit wasn't fat . He'd be perfect.

Would put my avatar on McDonald not playing the first test if any of his advocates are game. Can't see a bloke who wasn't given a trundle in either of the tour games being catapulted into the test XI.

International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    "That which we desire more earnestly we believe most easily."

Yeah, unusually, Ian Bell didn't even look good when scoring no runs in this match. It's a better balance to the team but they've taken the wrong player. I don't expect him to contribute.

The other issue is, you kinda need another half-bowler of some sort on top of a four-man attack IMO. If only Samit wasn't fat . He'd be perfect.
    Reckon he's perfect even whilst being fat, TBH. You don't get docked runs or wickets for girth.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Indeed so.

I think it's in cases like his where the one-size fits all approach to fitness comes unstuck a bit. One the one hand, yes it is a bit of a disgrace a professional sportsman can't get his fitness up to the required standard but on the other he wouldn't be the first lardo to play test cricket either. Excluding him and saying "get fit, fatty" doesn't seem to be working, so I'd say it'd be better to get him back into "Team England" where our experts (such as they are) can keep an eye on him.

Page 5 of 240 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread Information