• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think we can conclude that the word "charged" most certainly has implications other than walking towards someone while looking angry.
Again tho, he wasn't doing that. His gait was certainly quicker than walking.

In any event I don't want to get hung up on a jesuitical interpretation of what "charged" might or might not mean. Ponting was showing dissent, walking, charging, trotting or sauntering as he may've been, so unless one considers this acceptable in cricket he's open to accusations of hypocrisy when he says (& I again quote) "We came to play by the rules and the spirit of the game".

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah that's pretty much how I see things too, but a lot of people are making it sound like as if, Ponting just jumped into the pc and before anyone uttered a word he started criticising the English side, he would have obviously been asked about his views regarding this and he expressed his opinion on the matter, its as simple as that.

Whether you agree with what he said or not depends on one's personal opinion, but don't know why, what Ponting did in the past should be brought up in all of this.
Because it was in the same match, so is relevant. :)

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As I've said, if one considers blatant shows of dissent (and, again, it was) acceptable, then all well and good. I, however, do not and when the dissenter then invokes the spirit of the game it makes him a humbug in my book.

& this post is in no way an attmept to obscure the fact we indulged in blatant and shoddy time wasting and played like shyte either, least its meaning be misconstrued.
This is a humbug:

Now, Ricky Ponting may not be a pretty man. But I think you're doing him a great disservice by comparing him to this creature.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I'm not missing the point at all, just responding to what you said. I already commented on the spirit of cricket thing. Thought I did so in the post you have just quoted. I think that would indicate I get the point. I disagree though.

'As an outsider' isn't a valid disclaimer if it's someone you don't like :happy:
lol.. I told lots of good things abt Punter there in a previous post.. Dont understand where the "dont like" part applies.. I dont even know him and apart from some of his "holier than thou" postering reg. spirit of cricket, I do really like him and the honest stuff he utters from time to time in interviews.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In the interests in finding the true implication of the word "charged" in this context, I decided to consult a neutral, uninformed source.

william. says:
hey jaya
Jaya says:
heylo
william. says:
if i told you that someone had "charged" me when we were playing a sport
william. says:
what would you think had happened?
Jaya says:
Well either they did some variation of a tackle, or they somehow managed to electrocute you.
Jaya says:
Were you tased?
Jaya says:
Was it a policeman?
Jaya says:
Were you molested by a tasing policeman while playing football?

I think we can conclude that the word "charged" most certainly has implications other than walking towards someone while looking angry.
and here is my source...

Danny says: hey Bharani
Bharani says: Hey man.. gotta question
Danny says: shoot
Bharani says: what do you call charging?
Danny says: Rushing towards someone or something..

So apparently, there are everyday usage meanings of words that we fail to grasp. It may mean other things, but it meant what we have said too... But then again, why let facts get in the way... 8-)

Ok, he didn't tell the word "always" but the implication was there, right? And even if he was only talking about THIS test match, there was still that appeal incident and a few others which showed they weren't always playing "by the spirit of the game"...
So Ponting used a interview to ruffle a few feathers in the England camp, is that something that has never been done before, is he the first one to use this tactic. You seriously believe no captain has used the media to take a few potshots at the opposition before. This is something completely new to you. Like I said before if this had been any other captain using this tactic it would not have even been given a second thought, in fact from the reaction here it seems Ponting is just too good at ruffling feathers.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So Ponting used a interview to ruffle a few feathers in the England camp, is that something that has never been done before, is he the first one to use this tactic. You seriously believe no captain has used the media to take a few potshots at the opposition before. This is something completely new to you. Like I said before if this had been any other captain using this tactic it would not have even been given a second thought, in fact from the reaction here it seems Ponting is just too good at ruffling feathers.
lol... I don't mind that at all... I remember Ganguly using this tactic to break Steve Waugh's team. But I don't think Ponting is the sort of guy who does stuff like that... He comes across as a bit too upfront as a person to be attempting such tricks... And I have seen him talk about "spirit of cricket" and how the Australian side tries to stick to that etc... so many times.. That is my only problem with the whole thing...

lol... I don't mind that at all... I remember Ganguly using this tactic to break Steve Waugh's team. But I don't think Ponting is the sort of guy who does stuff like that... He comes across as a bit too upfront as a person to be attempting such tricks... And I have seen him talk about "spirit of cricket" and how the Australian side tries to stick to that etc... so many times.. That is my only problem with the whole thing...
You do seem a bit hung up on the spirit of cricket thing and you come across as a bit obsessive on this issue. Ponting responds to questions when he is interviewed its not like he calls press conferences to discuss his thoughts on the spirit of cricket they are questions he is asked and as captain of the Australian cricket team he has an obligation to respond as Australian captain. Reporters will ask questions that will give them the best bang for thier buck and they know full well this issue is a story that will get lots of coverage. Ponting does not go to the press conference and say "hey I want to talk about the spirit of cricket" ask me questions about that.

If you dont like him commenting on this issue then write to the media you read or watch and tell them you are sick of the subject and dont want them reporting on it anymore. You are attacking the wrong person because Ponting is not the one instigating issues discussed at a press conference. Most of the stuff he does talk about wont even be reported because it is too boring. Like I said earlier if this had been any other player it would not have even been reported but Ponting is always going to be big news especially if they can twist a headline to stir up a bit of interest.