• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
The lovely weather girl from sky just gave her forecast from the ground. Early chance of showers tomorrow but should be clear from midday, good day on thursday, chance of late rain on friday then the weekend could be interrupted but there should be play.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let's hope we get a proper result pitch but still five days' worth of 50-or-so overs' play then.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, what an idiotic thing for Roebuck to say, I have never been a much of fan of his writing, he is mostly opportunistic and over the top with his views, to say that citizens of England who aren't of British origin, aren't actually English or products of English cricket, is a pretty stinky thing to say.
Quite. Particularly for someone who is a naturalised Australian citizen and who makes a great play of his renunciation of his former nationality...

Woodster

International Captain
Having booked myself the rest of the week off, I'm certainly hoping my Ashes enjoyment is not curtailed by some typically seasonal downpours! Working in an office full of women that have no interest in cricket has not been my ideal preparation for a series I am exceptionally looking forward to, I have though enjoyed numerous articles relating to the Ashes build-up that I really am ready for it now. So many side issues to be settled, key battles to be won, just hope the weather is not one of them!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Just how does being sick affect one's ability to swing a ball?
Lee simply bowled slowish (by his standards), straight crap in India which is why people questioned his place in the team

Didn't he have some divorce isses going into the series, which clearly would have affected him mentally. Him bowling slowly was because he got injured during the series.

The reason why he didn't get reverse swing is a MASSIVE mystery to be. Don't know if it was a technqiue issue ATT, but very odd.

Face it, he's not a McGrath or a Warne whose records demand selection
Yea, but as i said before even McGrath was being questioned about his place stupidy by the selectors in 2004.

Fact is team management etc supposed to have a better gauge of the players than the wild me & us fans. No doubt Lee had needed to play these 2 warm-up games going into the Ashes, but he didn't need to feel he had to go "all out", when everyone was not a full intensity. Especially when Stuart Clark, who has been in a similar position to Bing has hardly had any serious scrutiny.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Goodnight all, it is highly possible that this thread will have exploded past 1000 posts when I next get to post in it - enjoy the cricket, may the English team win :)

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm going to be relying on CW a lot this summer.
I didn't manage to get Sky Sports sorted; I shall be listening intently every day on the radio but it will be down to you to help cut the BS and give me an idea of what is really going on out there :p

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Good omen? My school side just smashed an Aussie touring side in a Twenty20 game tonight.

The bad news? The Aussies were rested half their first choice side ahead of a longer game tomorrow.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
First day prediction.

Australia 6/322 at stumps.

or Australia 1/13 at stumps - England all out 219

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Average first innings score at the Swalec this season is 360, apparently, so would be royally gutted with that.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't anticipate a classic day of test cricket tomorow but still cannot wait although I do fear an England collapse.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good omen? My school side just smashed an Aussie touring side in a Twenty20 game tonight.

The bad news? The Aussies were rested half their first choice side ahead of a longer game tomorrow.
Good omen?

8 of England's squad got dusted 5-0 last time.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Average first innings score at the Swalec this season is 360, apparently, so would be royally gutted with that.
Yeah true, although having Aus at 1 down for not many wouldn't be all that bad for England.

Any other takers on the score after the first day's play?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Eager for all this to begin.

Such a highly anticipated series, you only need to trawl through the first page of this sub-forum to see all the mini issues and stories that go into the making of an Ashes series.

Today we will learn the answers to so many of the questions posed over the past few months. Will Hughes cut it? Did England miss an opportunity in not selecting Harmison? Will the ball reverse? Will Australia play four paceman or Hauritz? Will this series live up to 2005? Will Flintoff stay off the alcohol all series? Will Hussey rediscover his form? Is Bopara the real deal? WHO WILL WIN?

Bring it on.

Top_Cat

Although I don't dispute this for a second (and was thinking of adding something to my previous post about the difference between bowling part-time and front-line) there's no reaosn to suspect Hauritz will bowl more than North might if the two of them get picked. Any spinner Australia play is not going to be bowling more than a handful of overs, because they're not remotely close to being as good as the seamers.

Ergo, for the comparable roles, North at worst = Hauritz.
You're kidding. If Aus pick Hauritz, he's going to bowl 20+ overs a day. No way would they pick him and bowl him as a part-timer.

Top_Cat

Can't help but feel this'll be a low-scoring series in general. Both sides have bowlers in some form but the batting is unsettled with a mix of guys hitting the ball well and others, not so well. Be very surprised if the team batting first breaches 400.

pup11

International Coach
You're kidding. If Aus pick Hauritz, he's going to bowl 20+ overs a day. No way would they pick him and bowl him as a part-timer.
Hauritz would have to get annihilated in order not bowl more than 20 over in an innings, his main role in the team is to bowl tight overs and not let the game drift away from Australia's grasp, because whether the team has 3 quicks or 4 quicks, one can't expect them to bowl the required 90 overs throughout the day.