• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Roebuck is a knob..

the knob said:
notably cosmopolitan squad consisting mostly of Africans, Asians and sons of past players, a line-up suggesting the millions spent on producing proper cricketers has been wasted
1 African and 1 son of a past player is most of the squad?

Would like to know who isn't a 'proper' cricketer in Roebuck's eyes..outside of Pietersen who isn't a product of the English system?

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Peter Roebuck waffles on about how the England team is full of 'Asians and Africans', and how the Ashes is in Cardiff to appease the Welsh Assembly.

When will he stop singling out players like Bopara and Panesar as if they're not properly English? Winds me up something chronic.

To quote .....
."... and a notably cosmopolitan squad consisting mostly of Africans, Asians and sons of past players, a line-up suggesting the millions spent on producing proper cricketers has been wasted".

Really obnoxious stuff from the old child-beater. And massively incorrect to boot. Still can't let the facts get in the way of bashing the old country, can we.

EDIT
What SKD said.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
To quote .....
."... and a notably cosmopolitan squad consisting mostly of Africans, Asians and sons of past players, a line-up suggesting the millions spent on producing proper cricketers has been wasted".

Really obnoxious stuff from the old child-beater. And massively incorrect to boot. Still can't let the facts get in the way of bashing the old country, can we.

EDIT
What SKD said.
If that was an English paper I'd be writing to complain. Obnoxious is the right word for it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If that was an English paper I'd be writing to complain. Obnoxious is the right word for it.
Could think of stronger ones, myself. The implications seem to be:

a) Despite being raised and educated in England from the ages of 7 & 13 respectively, Strauss & Prior are "Africans";

b) Despite being English born, raised and edcuated Bopara and Panesar aren't products of English cricket;

c) Boys sired by test players spring forth from their progenitor's loins as fully formed test quality cricketers and therefore the English cricketing system deserves no credit for producing them either.

:blink:

It's at best horse manure and at worst borderline racism.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

a) Despite being raised and educated in England from the ages of 7 & 13 respectively, Strauss & Prior are "Africans";

b) Despite being English born, raised and edcuated Bopara and Panesar aren't products of English cricket;

c) Boys sired by test players spring forth from their progenitor's loins fully formed and therefore the English cricketing system deserves no credit for producing them either.

It's at best horse manure and at worst bordeline racism.
Yeah, and I'd be more inclined to go with the worst, tbh.

Last edited:

S Chanderpaul

U19 Vice-Captain
Some lad who works for Sky as a cameraman on another forum I use said Onions is 100% playing. So hopefully that means no Monty. :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Richard, I said it was my opinion Foster would score more runs then Bell
Actually you put it accross as fact, which funnily enough is one of the many things you've always said is supposedly wrong with my posting... but never mind, I'm not surprised.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You won't find many people who rate North's bowling higher than I do, nor will you find many people who rate Hauritz's bowling lower than I do, but even I will admit that Hauritz is the better bowler of the two. As Smitteh (I think it was him, anyway) said before, there's a big difference between bowling 10 overs a day and being a go-to frontline spinner.
Although I don't dispute this for a second (and was thinking of adding something to my previous post about the difference between bowling part-time and front-line) there's no reaosn to suspect Hauritz will bowl more than North might if the two of them get picked. Any spinner Australia play is not going to be bowling more than a handful of overs, because they're not remotely close to being as good as the seamers.

Ergo, for the comparable roles, North at worst = Hauritz.

pup11

International Coach

c) Boys sired by test players spring forth from their progenitor's loins as fully formed test quality cricketers and therefore the English cricketing system deserves no credit for producing them either.

It's at best horse manure and at worst borderline racism.
Yeah, what an idiotic thing for Roebuck to say, I have never been a much of fan of his writing, he is mostly opportunistic and over the top with his views, to say that citizens of England who aren't of British origin, aren't actually English or products of English cricket, is a pretty stinky thing to say.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Truly amazes me that he honestly expects anyone to believe his writings on the subject of England are geared toward anything else.

Dead-set, how can one write such claptrap and expect the conclusions drawn to be anything else?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I realise you were joking about calling-up a club pro to the Ashes squad, just not sure where the Elliott comparison came from TBH.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well when NZ were touring England, didn't someone get injured when they didn't have any suitable replacements, so they picked up Elliot who was scoring a load of runs in club cricket?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah it was one of those occasions that you could not help but enjoy despite what is happening to your side. Also remember the massive group of Aussies sitting just across from us loved the changing dynamic between them and the rest of the crowd as the day developed. Maybe the best day of Sport I have ever seen, only rivalled by seeing the West Indies bowled out for 54.
I just remember the hilarious aussie fans parading around the streets after the match trying to flag down passing traffic. I also remember that all the Aussie players wives were sat only about 6-7 rows in front of us as well, I remember thinking it was them at the time, then saw on the news when I got home that it actually was them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well when NZ were touring England, didn't someone get injured when they didn't have any suitable replacements, so they picked up Elliot who was scoring a load of runs in club cricket?
Pretty sure Elliott just forced his way in via his superb performances in one-day cricket in New Zealand. IIRR Cribb posted his figures and he'd averaged something like 48 since moving over there from SA, and done well with the ball too.