• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

Briony

International Debutant
50 for Michael Clarke, very good innings in good time. Well played, looks very good against spin.
Hussey must feel out of it. He's the lowest scorer in the match so far isn't he? - and everyone else bar Monty has reached double figures without too much difficulty.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Except for that nick right 8-)

He struggled against Broad ffs, except for 4 or 5 fours Hughes looked bad. It was only the second time I had seen him, the first time was last year in a under 19 game but I didn't really take much notice of him. But from what I saw yesterday I was not impressed at all.
Are you serious? Struggled against Broad? No, he didn't, not even close. Not one play and miss, he basically murdered Broad. You obviously didn't see how comfortably Hughes played Anderson whenever he pitched it up and swung it. Don't remember the last time I've seen a batsman play 90mph swing bowling with such ease, considering 90% of the modern batsman averaging 50+ would've either gotten out to it or not scored off it, it was impressive how easily Hughes flayed them to the boundry.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
To be fair to Haddin, he doesn't **** around and he likes to get after the spinners.
Never meant it as a criticism of Haddin. Thoroughly entertaining batsman when in the mood. Watched him play many wonderful late innings knocks for NSW, capable of motoring along at a strike rate of 80+.

But also another cricketer who can play the 50 off 110 deliveries styled innings, which from a purely viewing perspective this game does not need.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke's footwork against spin is something else. The over where he brought up his 50 was a great example, used his feet to everything and forced Swann to change his length to compensate, eventually got one on the full and hit it for four, then hit the next one over the top when it was held back a bit.

A few of the other Australian players are very good against spin as well, like Katich for example, but Clarke really leaves them all behind.

Last edited:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Classic how they've got a South African supporting England on a television add because his motive is "I only follow one team - Whoever is playing against Australia".

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Never meant it as a criticism of Haddin. Thoroughly entertaining batsman when in the mood. Watched him play many wonderful late innings knocks for NSW, capable of motoring along at a strike rate of 80+.

But also another cricketer who can play the 50 off 110 deliveries styled innings, which from a purely viewing perspective this game does not need.
The platform is set for him and Johnson to have fun. Aus should have a lead of over 100 before tonight is out.

Good job for the rain tomorrow as England are ****ed and now out of the game.

Howsie

International Captain
Are you serious? Struggled against Broad? No, he didn't, not even close. Not one play and miss, he basically murdered Broad. You obviously didn't see how comfortably Hughes played Anderson whenever he pitched it up and swung it. Don't remember the last time I've seen a batsman play 90mph swing bowling with such ease, considering 90% of the modern batsman averaging 50+ would've either gotten out to it or not scored off it, it was impressive how easily Hughes flayed them to the boundry.
Are you kidding me :laugh:

The first ball of the innings, go and check it out. Hughes didn't play it comfortably that's for sure. What about Hughes backing away to Broad and chomping down on the ball. What about Flintoff hitting him in the gloves. Hughes did not look good yesterday. How many fours did Hughes hit on the leg-side again 8-)

Noble One

International Vice-Captain

The first ball of the innings, go and check it out. Hughes didn't play it comfortably that's for sure. What about Hughes backing away to Broad and chomping down on the ball. What about Flintoff hitting him in the gloves. Hughes did not look good yesterday. How many fours did Hughes hit on the leg-side again 8-)
Welcome to the way Hughes bats. Never looks comfortable, plays some ugly defensive and offensive strokes, and yet continues to score runs.

Yesterday's innings was no different to previous innings for Australia, and definitely no different to the continued dominance he has displayed for New South Wales. Simply the style of batsman he is, and to every casual observer it is a struggle to comprehend how such a technically unsound cricketer can find success.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man

Just out of curiousity, did you see Hughes bat before lunch? Because I swear, judging from what you're saying, you didn't.

His backing away because that's apart of his gameplan, not because his struggling. Haven't you ever heard of playing to your strengths? It obviously works when you are averaging over 60 in first-class and Test Cricket. If you watched the South African series, Hughes hit Steyn through the legside numerous times and I'd rate Steyn way ahead of any English seamer.

He backed away and coverdrove Anderson's massive inswinger, which was one middle stump and smacked it for 4 and then Anderson bowled a outswinger that swung a mile and Hughes drove him through the offside again for 4. He was bowling 90mph and doing so, ffs, how you can not be impressed with that is beyhond me.

Hughes' aggressiveness against anything Anderson pitched up with the new ball, basically saved Katich, because Anderson didn't get the opportunity to pitch the ball up to Katich with a new ball until Katich was in his 120's.

Howsie

International Captain
Welcome to the way Hughes bats. Never looks comfortable, plays some ugly defensive and offensive strokes, and yet continues to score runs.

Yesterday's innings was no different to previous innings for Australia, and definitely no different to the continued dominance he has displayed for New South Wales. Simply the style of batsman he is, and to every casual observer it is a struggle to comprehend how such a technically unsound cricketer can find success.
Well atleast you'll admit he didn't look comfortable. I'm just saying that I can't see him averaging over 50 for his career. That might be really harsh, and he has a great record but that's just my opinion.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Ahead. Shame about the 90% chance of rain tomorrow, hopefully there'll be some play at least. Hoping for some catastrophic day five batting from England really.

Learn how to keep wicket etc.

Howsie

International Captain
Just out of curiousity, did you see Hughes bat before lunch? Because I swear, judging from what you're saying, you didn't.

His backing away because that's apart of his gameplan, not because his struggling. Haven't you ever heard of playing to your strengths? It obviously works when you are averaging over 60 in first-class and Test Cricket. If you watched the South African series, Hughes hit Steyn through the legside numerous times and I'd rate Steyn way ahead of any English seamer.

He backed away and coverdrove Anderson's massive inswinger, which was one middle stump and smacked it for 4 and then Anderson bowled a outswinger that swung a mile and Hughes drove him through the offside again for 4. He was bowling 90mph and doing so, ffs, how you can not be impressed with that is beyhond me.

Hughes' aggressiveness against anything Anderson pitched up with the new ball, basically saved Katich, because Anderson didn't get the opportunity to pitch the ball up to Katich with a new ball until Katich was in his 120's.
You make it sound like Anderson is the greatest bowler ever. He looked alright before lunch, but when England started bowling at his body he **** himself. If I was a captain I would just go around the wicket and bowl short and at his body. He would eventually glove one because his technique is so poor to be playing leg-side shot's. I didn't even see him attempt a pull or hook.

GGG

State Captain
Well after watching Hughes bat yesterday I came to the conclusion that every team he has faced has decided to bowl short and wide at him. Because tbh he looked like a tail-ender when facing balls at his body.
I never seen him bat but is it similar to how your fellow countryman Andrew Jones use to play the short ball? I remember people saying the same thing about him back in the day.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
You make it sound like Anderson is the greatest bowler ever. He looked alright before lunch, but when England started bowling at his body he **** himself. If I was a captain I would just go around the wicket and bowl short and at his body. He would eventually glove one because his technique is so poor to be playing leg-side shot's. I didn't even see him attempt a pull or hook.
Okay, so you aren't impressed with someone who murdered a guy through the offside field when he was bowling 90mph and swinging it both ways.

Believe what you want, but overcoming a weakness from lack of scoring off your hips is probably one of the easier things to overcome as a batsman and something that Hughes will probably add to his arsenal in the future.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Well if it does rain tomorrow it will be a shame, because Australia could have made this quite interesting if they get to 600+.