• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Tour Matches

Jakester1288

International Regular
What did we decide to do with these, and when will they be made?

If the Cricinfo time is correct, there is an hour until the first tour match starts, so we should get cracking on making a thread for that.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Don't think we need a thread for each tour game, maybe a thread for all the tour games.

IIRC this was the case in 06/07, we had a Tour Games thread.

It might be time to make and sticky the individual test threads though, there is already a fair bit of discussion specifically about Cardiff

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I suppose it's inevitable there'll be a thread for the Sussex game, even though it's a near-pointless 12-a-sider. Make this it, use the other one for the Lions match.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Zero surprises in the Australian XII.

NM Hauritz, SR Clark, MEK Hussey, PJ Hughes, PM Siddle, BW Hilfenhaus, MJ North, RT Ponting*, B Lee, SM Katich, MJ Clarke, BJ Haddin†

Australia will bat first, which means we should get to see our bowlers in action a little after lunch. (face)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sussex, meanwhile, go in with an XII not that far from full strength - pretty unusual these days:
MH Yardy*, CD Nash, EC Joyce, CD Hopkinson, LJ Wright, RSC Martin-Jenkins, AJ Hodd†, RJ Hamilton-Brown, OP Rayner, PSE Sandri, WAT Beer, RJ Kirtley.

Only Sandri, Beer and Kirtley there who don't play regular Championship cricket. Imagine Kirtley will field and not bat and there's only Joyce who doesn't bowl to any note there (though he's still got a First-Class wicket this season 8-)) so he might be the non-fielder.

Still can't see why they couldn't have played XI-a-side TBH.

And it's a bit of a shame Jason Lewry isn't playing as he did damn well against the Australians in 2001 and also looked good early in the 2005 season (though he didn't face them). Though I suppose given this is a 12-a-sider it doesn't really matter much.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well it may be a meaningless match but it's still a vaguely interesting start to the on-field tour, with Hughes taking 12 (the same number as there is players per side) from Kirtley's opening over of the match. Wonder if the experience will be repeated with Anderson at Swalec?

EDIT: didn't notice Pepler Sandri still played in South African domestic cricket, hadn't seen him there since about 2005. He'll be an overseas-player there from now on, now he's an Italian in county cricket. Either way, he's given away a single to Katich and a no-ball off his opening over.

Last edited:

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Zero surprises in the Australian XII.

NM Hauritz, SR Clark, MEK Hussey, PJ Hughes, PM Siddle, BW Hilfenhaus, MJ North, RT Ponting*, B Lee, SM Katich, MJ Clarke, BJ Haddin†

Australia will bat first, which means we should get to see our bowlers in action a little after lunch. (face)
I reckon that means siddle definitely above lee and clark in the pecking order. No macdonald is interesting.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Hughes goes early, really don't mind. Would be good if the Katman and Punter fired up here though.

EDIT: Ponting. :( Really, to Wright? For shame.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Sussex, meanwhile, go in with an XII not that far from full strength - pretty unusual these days:
MH Yardy*, CD Nash, EC Joyce, CD Hopkinson, LJ Wright, RSC Martin-Jenkins, AJ Hodd†, RJ Hamilton-Brown, OP Rayner, PSE Sandri, WAT Beer, RJ Kirtley.

Only Sandri, Beer and Kirtley there who don't play regular Championship cricket. Imagine Kirtley will field and not bat and there's only Joyce who doesn't bowl to any note there (though he's still got a First-Class wicket this season 8-)) so he might be the non-fielder.

Still can't see why they couldn't have played XI-a-side TBH.

And it's a bit of a shame Jason Lewry isn't playing as he did damn well against the Australians in 2001 and also looked good early in the 2005 season (though he didn't face them). Though I suppose given this is a 12-a-sider it doesn't really matter much.
Was hoping Ragheb Aga would get a go for this tour match. :no: Oh well maybe next time

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Everyone's obsessing about the bowlers....forgetting that certain bats badly need to get back into form.
Because we already know the make-up of our batsmen yeah? Most of us wouldn't be surprised if Cameron White got flown over from the 'A' tour to replace Watson in the squad and open the bowling in the First Test at this point.

inbox24

International Debutant
Ponting and Hughes out early, a sign of things to come. :ph34r:

In all seriousness though, expect Ponting to be a failure with the bat this series.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Great to see a couple of early wickets from Sussex's 9th and 10th best seamers.

I'm a bit surprised at the omission of Aga.

Also surprised to see that it's a 12-a-side game. I had understood that Sussex had told the Aussies to piss off about that?

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
Because we already know the make-up of our batsmen yeah?
Missed the boat there buddy. Huh. Pressure on the bowlers and none on the batsmen. Complacency is bred.

And after the match, they'll question Ponting about the bowlers' form and not his own/what it feels like getting out to Wright. :laugh:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Great to see a couple of early wickets from Sussex's 9th and 10th best seamers.

I'm a bit surprised at the omission of Aga.

Also surprised to see that it's a 12-a-side game. I had understood that Sussex had told the Aussies to piss off about that?
I think they did, but the ECB kind-of had to say yes, because Australia let us have a 12-a-side when we went down last time.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Missed the boat there buddy. Huh. Pressure on the bowlers and none on the batsmen. Complacency is bred.

And after the match, they'll question Ponting about the bowlers' form and not his own/what it feels like getting out to Wright. :laugh:
I reckon it's our best chance for the series really, that the Aussie batting doesn't get any momentum going and we sneak a win in the first test, therefore putting on the pressure.

Anyway, Watto to stay, so no Hodge for now.