Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 258

Thread: This is why Australia will lose the Ashes

  1. #1
    State Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    England (support India)
    Posts
    1,404

    This is why Australia will lose the Ashes

    Watson sits out training with knee injury | Cricket News | The Ashes - England v Australia 2009 | Cricinfo.com

    Watson will never be fit for 5 tests in a row, which means Macdonald will play, and no team with Macdonald in will ever win the ashes.

  2. #2
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Team with McDonald won in South Africa, which should be far tougher than winning in England.

    That said, obviously South Africa were lesser than they should've been, but they were likewise in England last summer and still won the series with a game to spare.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  3. #3
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Team with McDonald won in South Africa, which should be far tougher than winning in England.

    That said, obviously South Africa were lesser than they should've been, but they were likewise in England last summer and still won the series with a game to spare.
    SA were hammered in the first 2 tests (let's not forget that they both should've been innings victories if not for ridiculously conservative captaincy) because Oz has the best pace bowling attack in the world and Macdonald was part of that

    He's as ridiculously underrated as is Eng's spin bowling advantage overrated

    Seriously, what do you think Johnson, Siddle & co will do to a lineup that the WI dismissed for 50 when NONE of the WI bowlers would make the Oz squad?

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Moeen is a perfectly fine bowler FFS.
    Posts
    15,466
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    SA were hammered in the first 2 tests (let's not forget that they both should've been innings victories if not for ridiculously conservative captaincy) because Oz has the best pace bowling attack in the world and Macdonald was part of that

    He's as ridiculously underrated as is Eng's spin bowling advantage overrated

    Seriously, what do you think Johnson, Siddle & co will do to a lineup that the WI dismissed for 50 when NONE of the WI bowlers would make the Oz squad?
    Most of what you say is right, but Jerome Taylor IS quality when he gets going.

    We'll lose humiliatingly anyway.....
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman


  5. #5
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,473
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Most of what you say is right, but Jerome Taylor IS quality when he gets going.

    We'll lose humiliatingly anyway.....
    I dont think it will be a humiliation but most of what Eng fans are using as a supposed advantage is borne out of ignorance (i.e. they havent seen the new Oz bowlers) or blind hope

    Reality is that Oz has more world class players than Eng but many are inexperienced and hardly any compare to the recently retired greats

    Is Haddin = Gilchrist? No, but he's bloody good

    Is Haurritz = Warne? No, but he's not too bad and certainly can play a role

    Are Johnson/Siddle = McGrath? No but the latter is arguably the best fast bowler ever and, in any case, they're MUCH better than Lee

    IMO, the bowling talent is a lop-sided verdict in favour of Oz

    The major issue is how far Ponting, Hussey etc have deteriorated (because they have!) and whether Hughes and co can compensate for it

  6. #6
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    SA were hammered in the first 2 tests (let's not forget that they both should've been innings victories if not for ridiculously conservative captaincy) because Oz has the best pace bowling attack in the world and Macdonald was part of that
    And much more so because their own bowlers were well below their best.

  7. #7
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    And much more so because their own bowlers were well below their best.
    When your best batsmen are being put in hospital, it's pretty easy to fade into the background

  8. #8
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Not really. SA's bowlers underperformed because they underperformed, not because they were intimidated by the fact that a few of their batsmen sustained unfortunate injuries.

  9. #9
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Not really. SA's bowlers underperformed because they underperformed, not because they were intimidated by the fact that a few of their batsmen sustained unfortunate injuries.
    Richard, they were hammered - end of story

    BTW, when people get hit over and over again, it's not "unfortunate"

    Johnson owns Smith

  10. #10
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    When your best batsmen are being put in hospital, it's pretty easy to fade into the background
    Not sure how putting the batsmen in the hospital is supposed to affect the bowlers in the side............
    Australia bowled well in SA, but as Brett Lee has so rudely found out in the past, bowling in England is a different kettle of fish from bowling in SA. That doesn't mean that they wont bowl well, but England's bowlers are well suited to their own conditions and the likes of Anderson, Onions and even Harmison could be quite cumbersome task to score runs against if they get things right. Lets just remember that Australia's potential starting lineup (Siddle, Johnson, Hilfenhaus, McDonald, Hauritz) share one common characteristic in that none of them have ever bowled a ball in an FC match in England and if that is the case, that is the first time in a very long time that has happened with an Australian team.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

  11. #11
    International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    not far away from you
    Posts
    14,308
    Regarding the Australia South Africa series, I cannot believe it took SA so long to discard Morne Morkel. Never rated him particularly highly and given how young he still is, hes better off spending a little time in the domestic cricket and possibly remodelling his action before he gets considered for a place in the side again.

  12. #12
    International Debutant inbox24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,108
    I'm pretty sure that with Watson out, the selectors will start to panic. The batting is already pretty thin having to rely on Hughes, Katich, Clarke and Haddin as the main men (first time in about 10 years that we're actually relying on the keeper for regular contributions with the bat). Hilditch will probably leak in fear and try to stack the batting by squeezing both McDonald and North in there which means only 3 bowling spots. Now if Hauritz plays at Cardiff, he will probably only contribute 4 wickets maximum, which leaves only 2 bowlers to take 18 wickets. This is the reason why Australia will lose the Ashes. Even Warne and McGrath can't win you a test series by themselves ash shown four years ago.

    This will most likely be the team picked on the 8th:

    Hughes
    Katich
    Ponting
    Hussey
    Clarke
    North
    Haddin
    McDonald
    Johnson
    Hauritz
    Siddle

    Same mistake as in India, stacking the batting at the cost of bowling. Instead of 3 bowlers (Lee, Clark and Hilfenhaus) competing for 2 spots (or 1 at Cardiff if you want to play a spinner), you have no spots left. And all this because our all rounder obsession. In conclusion, the major effect Andrew Flintoff's performance in 2005 has extended beyond the field and Australia are feeling the effects.
    Inappropriate signature.
    --Moderators

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The Castle
    Posts
    41,534
    Lee or (preferably) Clark in for McDonald to Inbox's team and it's a side well good enough to win.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

    "Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

  14. #14
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    177
    ibox24,

    Maybe I'm biased as a Vic, but why do you think Hilf.. is a better bowler then McDonald, FC and Test stats have McDonald out in front. Hilf is faster but medium pace can be very effective on English conditions if you have good control.

    Infact McDonald's stats af F/C 29 and Test 33 is comparable to a number of the English bowlers...
    Anderson FC 28 Test 33, Broad FC 29 Test 37, Flintoff FC 31 Test 32.

    His 4 tests have been against SA and mostly in SA, he took Kallis x 2, AB and Amla so he didn't just take tailenders. he outbowled Hilf in SA and so I think deserves a crack at England.

    All that being said, I think the first 3 bowlers should be Johnson, Siddle and Clark and then the fourth spot is between Hautitz, Lee and McDonald depending on form and conditons.

  15. #15
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bonn, BRD
    Posts
    22,927
    Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoi View Post
    Watson will never be fit for 5 tests in a row, which means Macdonald will play, and no team with Macdonald in will ever win the ashes.
    Argument to rile up, clearly.

    Anyway, a team with Ashley Giles won it the last time around.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

    Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Great Test Matches..
    By Neil Pickup in forum General
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 07:17 PM
  2. Pietersen may miss Ashes
    By Jakester1288 in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 22-07-2009, 09:53 AM
  3. The Google Ashes
    By superkingdave in forum Ashes 2009
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-06-2009, 01:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •