• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

This is why Australia will lose the Ashes

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
Lee, AT BEST, half a lifetime ago
Lee, AT BEST, a year ago. Right here in the Windies. Funny how we conveniently forget when a player last did well.

I honestly can't wait for the reactions when Johnson goes through a rough patch. They'll be calling for the "former spearhead's" place to be taken by "new spearhead" Siddle, I suppose.

jondavluc

State Regular
Lee, AT BEST, a year ago. Right here in the Windies. Funny how we conveniently forget when a player last did well.

I honestly can't wait for the reactions when Johnson goes through a rough patch. They'll be calling for the "former spearhead's" place to be taken by "new spearhead" Siddle, I suppose.
People can be fickle sometimes so I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson gets it one day.

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
People can be fickle sometimes so I wouldn't be surprised if Johnson gets it one day.
Not can be. They are. I remember Slater calling for McGrath's head in 2004 during Aus' tour of India. It was McGrath, ffs. Who's Johnson? It's a never-ending cycle. The same players they elevate on the pedestal, they joyously pull them down to the ground. See Hayden.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

And he's played 8 tests since then and been pretty woeful in 7 of them

I think you need to take the blinkers off and come up with a decent reason why the selectors should change a winning team

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant

I think you need to take the blinkers off and come up with a decent reason why the selectors should change a winning team
"Change a winning team." Same old crap they were spewing in 2004/2005 until Kasper & Dizzy crapped all over.
I'm not the one with blinkers on, darling. The guys who think McDonald is better than Lee/should be in the team/not a crap player are the ones with blinkers on.

Fact is, Lee was performing well pre-injury. Fact.

tooextracool

International Coach

Err winning team? 3 things:
1) Australia lost their last test match
2) They will be changing their team regardless because McGain was part of that.
3) Hes rubbish

social

"Change a winning team." Same old crap they were spewing in 2004/2005 until Kasper & Dizzy crapped all over.
I'm not the one with blinkers on, darling. The guys who think McDonald is better than Lee/should be in the team/not a crap player are the ones with blinkers on.

Fact is, Lee was performing well pre-injury. Fact.
Cry me a river

Most people never get to play 7 tests let alone fail in all of them

BTW, check my posts in CW and you'll find that I've been one of Lee's biggest supporters on here but the FACT is that unless he sets the world alight in the tour games leading up to the first test, he shouldnt play in the first test as, unlike 2005, we have better options

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
Cry me a river

Most people never get to play 7 tests let alone fail in all of them

BTW, check my posts in CW and you'll find that I've been one of Lee's biggest supporters on here but the FACT is that unless he sets the world alight in the tour games leading up to the first test, he shouldnt play in the first test as, unlike 2005, we have better options
Hmmm. Lee needs to set the world alight in order to get chosen yet McDonald has nothing to prove? Interseting logic people on here have. Ponting didn't set the world alight this morning and he'll play. Hussey didn't, and he'll play.

That's not a fact. He doesn't have to set the world alight in order to get chosen. He just has to please the selectors and coach/captain(both of whom already expressed their pleasure :p )

Son Of Coco

And there's a reason some were preferred over others. But you know, they didn't need to see McDonald, since he has nothing to prove, like Johnson.
I'd say McDonald won't be in the first test at Cardiff. McDonald's fit, unlike 3 of the other bowlers. Hauritz is likely to play at Cardiff. You can't pick 6 or 7 bowlers, that would be silly.

Son Of Coco

Err winning team? 3 things:
1) Australia lost their last test match
2) They will be changing their team regardless because McGain was part of that.
3) Hes rubbish
Nuh uh.

There's nothing in his FC record to suggest 'he's rubbish". He just doesn't bowl at 150kph+ and he will never be a great.

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
I'd say McDonald won't be in the first test at Cardiff. McDonald's fit, unlike 3 of the other bowlers. Hauritz is likely to play at Cardiff. You can't pick 6 or 7 bowlers, that would be silly.
Who said anything about picking 6/7 bowlers? All I'm saying, simply, is McDonald's crap and shouldn't be chosen.

Son Of Coco

Hmmm. Lee needs to set the world alight in order to get chosen yet McDonald has nothing to prove? Interseting logic people on here have. Ponting didn't set the world alight this morning and he'll play. Hussey didn't, and he'll play.
That's not a fact. He doesn't have to set the world alight in order to get chosen. He just has to please the selectors and coach/captain(both of whom already expressed their pleasure :p )
You can't choose 0 people in your team.

If the captain and coach are convinced of Lee before he's even played a tour match then the selection process is about to get even more farcical.

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
You can't choose 0 people in your team.

If the captain and coach are convinced of Lee before he's even played a tour match then the selection process is about to get even more farcical.
What are you on about? Is Lee not playing, as we speak? Wtf are you talking about 0 people? I'm saying that they're not in good form (if they're in form at all) yet they are certainties. My point is that Lee doesn't need to "set the world alight"

Son Of Coco

What are you on about? Is Lee not playing, as we speak? Wtf are you talking about 0 people? I'm saying that they're not in good form (if they're in form at all) yet they are certainties. My point is that Lee doesn't need to "set the world alight"
I would argue that Hussey isn't a 'certainty'...he'll probably play. But if guys in a position to challenge for his spot were playing better he might not. Ponting obviously will, he's the captain.

You have to pick someone in the team from the squad you've got was what I was on about. And 3 hours into the first tour match isn't when it's going to happen. Lee should have to prove himself given his prior record in England, as should the other bowlers in the squad. There's absolutely no reason for Lee to be thought of as a certainty.

Son Of Coco

The most prominent reason being he's not so important in the team strategy atm.

That's your guess. I'd say he probably won't play in Cardiff so you might be right. It would also depend on when the other tour matches fall and whether he'll get a chance to play in one before they think he'd be needed.

social

Sounds better than the truth - "he bowled absolute rubbish in the t20s but we hope he strikes some form soon,"