Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why Australia will lose the Ashes

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Malleeboy View Post
    Infact McDonald's stats af F/C 29 and Test 33 is comparable to a number of the English bowlers...
    Anderson FC 28 Test 33, Broad FC 29 Test 37, Flintoff FC 31 Test 32.
    By the way, Mark Ealham has F/C 27 and Test 29. Wonder if we should recall Mark Ealham..........
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Richard, they were hammered - end of story
    They were hammered because their bowlers - who in basic ability are superior to Australia's - were unable to outdo the Australians.
    BTW, when people get hit over and over again, it's not "unfortunate"

Johnson owns Smith
    So what is it then? Poor technique?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malleeboy View Post
    Hilf is faster but medium pace can be very effective on English conditions if you have good control.
    McDonald is emphatically quicker than medium pace. Maybe not fast-medium, but certainly medium-fast.

I don't think the loss of Watson is that big a blow. TBH he would have been 15th out of 16 in the pecking order I feel just above Manou.

The article states Hodge and Ferguson at the top of the list, I'm not completely sold on Ferguson particulary in England, reckon he'll struggle to convert his decent starts and would make a fair few 20s to 40s if he was called into the side.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    They were hammered because their bowlers - who in basic ability are superior to Australia's - were unable to outdo the Australians.

So what is it then? Poor technique?
    There's no point in saying they're superior if they bowled worse in their own conditions. On average they may be considered to be, but Dale Steyn is much better than anyone in his own team on his day, and I'd have Johnson in second before sorting out the rest.

Not sure how Morne Morkel is basically better than many in the Aussie team though. Would have Siddle miles in front on current performances, even though he's only played a few tests.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 23-06-2009 at 06:19 PM.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

The OP is plainly a ridiculous comment designed purely for baiting. McDonald might not be the best player going around (although I think he's underrated by many), but considering the Australians just beat their nearest competitors at home with him in the side the word "never" is a blatantly absurd statement.

I'll be worried when Mitch goes down.
    Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

Too many bones, not enough CASH!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZwgu8_b0Vw

RIP Craig

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    SA were hammered in the first 2 tests (let's not forget that they both should've been innings victories if not for ridiculously conservative captaincy) because Oz has the best pace bowling attack in the world and Macdonald was part of that

He's as ridiculously underrated as is Eng's spin bowling advantage overrated

Seriously, what do you think Johnson, Siddle & co will do to a lineup that the WI dismissed for 50 when NONE of the WI bowlers would make the Oz squad?
    I'm pretty sure Edwards would get into the Australian team, he has been bowling really well as of late.

And yeah I agree with most people here, McDonald is better then some people make him out to be. He might not be bowling at 90mph but he gets his job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I don't agree with the statement that the South African quicks are better then Australian quicks in any given way, I think people tend to forget that Australian quicks had the Proteas on the ropes, plenty of times even when they were playing in Australia, the only difference was, that they weren't able to put finishes touches to their work back in Australia, a mistake they didn't repeat in South Africa.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoi View Post
    Watson sits out training with knee injury | Cricket News | The Ashes - England v Australia 2009 | Cricinfo.com

Watson will never be fit for 5 tests in a row, which means Macdonald will play, and no team with Macdonald in will ever win the ashes.

Are you still going on about MacDonald? It's ok not to like the guy, but you have to take what happened in SA into account at some stage.

Watto's injury without doubt is a big blow, as a Watto fan it would be really disappointing to see him miss his second Ashes series in a row because of injury, I hope his recent problem is not serious and he is available for the whole series.

Though gotta admit, things aren't looking too good from Watto's perspective, he has hardly played much cricket in recent times, but still he is frequently having these injury problems, and this might make the Aussie think-tank, think twice before picking him in the final XI of a test match.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oitoitoi View Post
    Watson sits out training with knee injury | Cricket News | The Ashes - England v Australia 2009 | Cricinfo.com

Watson will never be fit for 5 tests in a row, which means Macdonald will play, and no team with Macdonald in will ever win the ashes.
    Never realised Tim MacDonald was on the verge of Test selection. Interesting to replace an all-rounder with a mediocre paceman.

Andrew McDonald on the other hand is a very reliable all-rounder. Statistically one of the finest bowlers in Shield Cricket over the previous 5 years. Plays a specific role for the side, and does it well.

He may not look overly threatening, but bowlers who can bowl wicket to wicket for 8-10 overs straight are always useful.

International Regular
    McDonald is very underrated. He isn't the best bowler you will ever see, but he just bowls tight, gets through his overs quickly, bowls stump to stump all day and picks up the odd wicket whilst being economical.

For this Ashes series, IMO McDonald should be picked before Lee, but Clark should be selected before both.

I've said it 1000 times, but this should be our bowling attack.

Johnson
    Siddle
    Clark
    McDonald/Hauritz (depending on the conditions)

Is he actually going to be taken out of the squad? Is he going to be replaced, and not play in the Ashes?

At 6, if Watson isn't bowling, we should have North. He hasn't done anything wrong, and has played well. If Watson can bowl, and is deemed fit to last the game or tour (which I doubt more and more every day) we should have him. He is about on par with North as a batsmen, and it's only their bowling at splits them. North is a batsmen who can have a trundle, and Watson is a batting allrounder. If he is judged unfit to play or bowl, a replacement should be brought in.

In terms of replacements, IMO Hodge should be the front runner. If the selectors didn't have his cards marked for whatever reason, I'd say he would have played a few more tests since his last test match. I am not keen of Ferguson, there is probably someone else I am forgetting though.

EDIT: The guy who I am forgetting is David Hussey. He should be brought into the squad is Watson is omitted.
    Last edited by Jakester1288; 24-06-2009 at 02:52 AM.

Yeah, you're forgetting Hussey. No other non injured player in Australia has a batting record to match that, surprisingly Rogers is the closest with 50. I've said it time and time again but they keep picking him in the wrong format and then complain that he's not a good enough player blah blah blah. If only they gave him a chance like they gave his brother four years ago.
    Inappropriate signature.
    --Moderators

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by inbox24 View Post
    Yeah, you're forgetting Hussey.
    Yeah, that's the one.

He's not actually in form at the moment, his FC season was poor, especially by his standards. However, Hussey > North > Watson on batting, IMO. There isn't much in it, though. Hussey is slightly above North, and North and Watson are almost equal.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Can't see England bowling Australia out twice with Mcdonald at 8 and Johnson at 9. As long as the last two are Siddle and Clark I think they will have enough bowling as well. With Hauritz in the side I think they might struggle if they had Ronald as part of a 4 man attack as well.
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information