• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England 17-man squad

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surely we're not seriously thinking of playing Rashid in the first test? I would way rather Onions.

As for Panesar, I think they just want to look at him first-hand. That would be fair enough.
Rashid is a far better option as a 5th bowler or 2nd spinner than Panesar.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Even on a spinning track against a team who made Paul Harris look world class?
I just think it's a bit too much. He's hardly done anything this year (6 wickets in 4 innings). Not that that's entirely his fault, England have been dragging him around and not playing him for the last six months. I would just much rather have Onions, as a bowler in form.

And I wouldn't count his batting for anything, either. We have Broad and Swann already, so the other bowlers should be picked on merit.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just think it's a bit too much. He's hardly done anything this year (6 wickets in 4 innings). Not that that's entirely his fault, England have been dragging him around and not playing him for the last six months. I would just much rather have Onions, as a bowler in form.

And I wouldn't count his batting for anything, either. We have Broad and Swann already, so the other bowlers should be picked on merit.
I would count his batting. It's worthless having Broad and Swann there if the tail can't hold out for 5 minutes.

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
We're really going to pick our No.6 by considering his keeping? I really hope not.
Our numbers 6 and 7 are a place too high each, so why shouldn't our no 10 be two places too low? Law of averages dictates one of them might get runs. Maybe.

Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Rashid

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Our numbers 6 and 7 are a place too high each, so why shouldn't our no 10 be two places too low? Law of averages dictates one of them might get runs. Maybe.

Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Rashid
Yeah, but playing someone at 10 for their batting is a mistake. One/two wickets and it's all over. Even if they're good, it's likely they would just end up 10*.

Albion

Cricket Spectator
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
That's arguably the strongest 6-9 (in batting) we've put out for a long time. We don't need to be selecting our bowlers at 10 & 11 on their batting ability.

of course if they think 2 spinners are needed and they pick Rashid as the inform spinner (though its debatable how much more succesful than Monty he's been) then his batting is an added bonus.

tooextracool

International Coach
England Test squad for pre-Ashes camp:

Andrew Strauss (captain, Middlesex)
James Anderson (Lancashire)
Ian Bell (Warwickshire)
Ravi Bopara (Essex)
Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire)
Paul Collingwood (Durham)
Alastair Cook (Essex)
Andrew Flintoff (Lancashire)
Graham Onions (Durham)
Monty Panesar (Northamptonshire)
Kevin Pietersen (Hampshire)
Matt Prior (Sussex)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Ryan Sidebottom (Nottinghamshire)
Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire)

England team v Warwickshire at Edgbaston (July 1-3):

Andrew Strauss (captain)
James Anderson
Stuart Broad
Ravi Bopara
Paul Collingwood
Alastair Cook
Andrew Flintoff
Monty Panesar
Kevin Pietersen
Matt Prior
Graeme Swann

England Lions v Australia at Worcester (July 1-4):

Ian Bell (captain, Warwickshire)
Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire)
Joe Denly (Kent)
Steven Davies (Worcestershire)
Steve Harmison (Durham)
Saj Mahmood (Lancashire)
Stephen Moore (Worcestershire)
Eoin Morgan (Middlesex)
Graham Onions (Durham)
Adil Rashid (Yorkshire)
Vikram Solanki (Worcestershire)
I could go on with how poor some of these selections are but Im just going to single out that giving Australia a first hand look at both Onions and Rashid, two of England's unknowns for the Ashes, before the first test is about as poor a move as I've seen in a very long time. Both would have been better served by bowling to county batsmen in the game against Warwickshire.

Well another England selection ****-up, what a surprise this.

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
That's arguably the strongest 6-9 (in batting) we've put out for a long time. We don't need to be selecting our bowlers at 10 & 11 on their batting ability.
True - can't remember the last time we played a genuine batsman at number 6. Although I can remember when we played Ambrose at 6, despite doing my level best to forget.

of course if they think 2 spinners are needed and they pick Rashid as the inform spinner (though its debatable how much more succesful than Monty he's been) then his batting is an added bonus.
That is a very good summary of the way to look at it. Although what if you can't choose between Panesar and Rashid on bowling? Just saying...

tooextracool

International Coach
Surely we're not seriously thinking of playing Rashid in the first test? I would way rather Onions.

As for Panesar, I think they just want to look at him first-hand. That would be fair enough.
Depends on the pitch IMO. If the pitch is going to be a slow turner, England would be better served with something like Anderson, Onions, Flintoff, Swann and Rashid.

Albion

Cricket Spectator
That is a very good summary of the way to look at it. Although what if you can't choose between Panesar and Rashid on bowling? Just saying...
Yeah, if there's nothing to choose between the bowlers then go for the one who can bat (and field) - sorry Monty!

Worryingly, Aggers seems to think the side picked to play Warwickshire will be the side. Which means that Monty gets picked despite picking up his last 20 test wickets at an average of 44 and having picked up 6 first class wickets at 86 ALL season! :blink:

tooextracool

International Coach

Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Rashid
How on earth is batting someone with 15 FC centuries at number 7 too high? FFS, I can understand that hes hardly batted much over the last few years, and looked in poor form mostly when he has, but to suggest that hes not good enough to bat at 7 is ridiculous.

Penguinissimo

U19 12th Man
How on earth is batting someone with 15 FC centuries at number 7 too high? FFS, I can understand that hes hardly batted much over the last few years, and looked in poor form mostly when he has, but to suggest that hes not good enough to bat at 7 is ridiculous.
Flintoff's batting relies almost entirely on having his eye in, otherwise he's just a lower order slogger (although a good one). And his eye couldn't be more out if it was at the top of a very large spiked pole in the Antarctic.

I think it's reasonably ridiculous to be assessing a player based on what he used to be able to do. At the moment, we have no evidence whatsoever that Flintoff is a top 7 batsman. He is a bowler who can bat occasionally to me.