• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pietersen may miss Ashes

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surprised at this comment. Would you not prefer to beat a full strength England team?
This concept is virtually a fantasy. When was the last time England did not suffer injuries to key players (sometimes key and fringe players en masse) in \ just before an Ashes?

I certainly don't remember any such time.
For the last four years we've had you lot bleating that the only reason we won two Tests in 2005 was that McGrath missed both games; why would you want to hand us the same excuse?
Some Australians have always made a habit of the notion that injuries are an acceptable reason to talk down any England victory, but not to talk down any Australian one. I guess it stems from the belief that a full-strength Australia will always beat a full-strength England - the truth of which, as I say above, is difficult to know given the last time such a thing happened was probably about never.

stumpski

International Captain
Well, it was clearly a factor. That and the mints, obviously.

But you're right of course. There would no doubt be a National Day of Mourning in England if Ponting was ruled out of the Ashes.
Well, no, but you might be surprised how many of us in England like watching him bat. Obviously I don't want to see him make match-changing scores, but the odd 40 or 50 wouldn't do any harm.

And yes, we have been somewhat adversely affected by absences in recent series (maybe not enough to alter the result though). The loss of Flintoff and Simon Jones in 2002-03 and Jones, again, Vaughan and Trescothick in 2006-07 clearly hurt us - although it meant that in 2005 Flintoff was in a sense our 'secret weapon' - the Aussies having seen so little of him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In 2002/03 and 1994/95 England suffered innumerable injuries. Flintoff and Simon Jones were both pretty poor at the time of their 2002/03 absences, but who knows how much of a difference they might've made in 2006/07.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, no, but you might be surprised how many of us in England like watching him bat. Obviously I don't want to see him make match-changing scores, but the odd 40 or 50 wouldn't do any harm.

And yes, we have been somewhat adversely affected by absences in recent series (maybe not enough to alter the result though). The loss of Flintoff and Simon Jones in 2002-03 and Jones, again, Vaughan and Trescothick in 2006-07 clearly hurt us - although it meant that in 2005 Flintoff was in a sense our 'secret weapon' - the Aussies having seen so little of him.
Yeah, I think that's right, especially about Flintoff. I for one had seen a little of him in the SA series preceding the Ashes that year (it was the first time I had pay TV) but aside from that very little of him.

WTR to Jones, before 2005 about the only memory many Aussies had of him was, sadly, his unfortunate injury at the Gabba. I don't suppose his mood against us was helped by some spectators yelling out "Get up you soft Pommie ****" when he hit the deck that day :(

Last edited:

Jakester1288

International Regular
If Pietersen does get ruled out, I'll be straight onto the NZ TAB site to back the Aussies for a series win.
Why wouldn't you bet with Pietersen included?

Odd's would be better now, and if Pietersen goes, odds will be worse.

Oh well no big loss.
:blink:

The only things I could think of in response to this is you are an idiot, you think Australia will dominate England with or without Pietersen, or you think Pietersen is dire and/or won't have an impact on the series.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Nah, that's cool - you tell me how to gamble. I wouldn't have the first clue how to even put on a bet... 8-)
Well why would you go and put money on Australia winning with Pietersen included, which would have better odds, than go in when he is not included, when the odds would be worse? Stupid, IMO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Probably because he thinks Australia are more likely to win if we don't have KP, and therefore it's a safer bet?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Probably because he thinks Australia are more likely to win if we don't have KP, and therefore it's a safer bet?
Good to see someone gets it. I barely bet on sports unless a) I'm supremely confident, b) am taking an exotic bet like "first try-scorer" in rugby ust for fun or c) I'm reasonably confident and am putting it in a multi.

If Pietersen did happen to be out, I'd probably put $100 or so on for (my estimate would be about) $20 or so profit.

Again, Jakester, telling me how to bet is like me telling your mother how to....- hmm, I better not go there.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Are you serious?
Yeah.

This is in no way suggesting that Prior's a better batsman than Pietersen - because he isn't - I just don't particularly like watching Pietersen bat. It's a stylistic thing that you can't really argue against.. sure you can be surprised, but how it is is how it is.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Some people may not be aware of the startling regularity with which top-level cricketers use painkillers, cortisone injections and the like.

Whether Pietersen requires this op before the end of the Ashes series remains to be seen.