Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pietersen may miss Ashes

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by morgieb View Post
    Sweet! Increases Australia's chances of winning for sure.
    Surprised at this comment. Would you not prefer to beat a full strength England team?

For the last four years we've had you lot bleating that the only reason we won two Tests in 2005 was that McGrath missed both games; why would you want to hand us the same excuse?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Surprised at this comment. Would you not prefer to beat a full strength England team?

For the last four years we've had you lot bleating that the only reason we won two Tests in 2005 was that McGrath missed both games; why would you want to hand us the same excuse?
    Well, it was clearly a factor. That and the mints, obviously.

But you're right of course. There would no doubt be a National Day of Mourning in England if Ponting was ruled out of the Ashes.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Indeed. Where else are we going to get our chuckles from as everything goes wrong for them?
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Indeed. Where else are we going to get our chuckles from as everything goes wrong for them?
    Corrin setting himself up for a massive Greigy here.

If Pietersen does get ruled out, I'll be straight onto the NZ TAB site to back the Aussies for a series win.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Corrin setting himself up for a massive Greigy here.
    Hardly the first time either. I probably have the worst record for predictions on this whole site

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Oh well no big loss.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    This concept is virtually a fantasy. When was the last time England did not suffer injuries to key players (sometimes key and fringe players en masse) in \ just before an Ashes?

I certainly don't remember any such time.
    Some Australians have always made a habit of the notion that injuries are an acceptable reason to talk down any England victory, but not to talk down any Australian one. I guess it stems from the belief that a full-strength Australia will always beat a full-strength England - the truth of which, as I say above, is difficult to know given the last time such a thing happened was probably about never.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Well, it was clearly a factor. That and the mints, obviously.

But you're right of course. There would no doubt be a National Day of Mourning in England if Ponting was ruled out of the Ashes.
    Well, no, but you might be surprised how many of us in England like watching him bat. Obviously I don't want to see him make match-changing scores, but the odd 40 or 50 wouldn't do any harm.

And yes, we have been somewhat adversely affected by absences in recent series (maybe not enough to alter the result though). The loss of Flintoff and Simon Jones in 2002-03 and Jones, again, Vaughan and Trescothick in 2006-07 clearly hurt us - although it meant that in 2005 Flintoff was in a sense our 'secret weapon' - the Aussies having seen so little of him.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    In 2002/03 and 1994/95 England suffered innumerable injuries. Flintoff and Simon Jones were both pretty poor at the time of their 2002/03 absences, but who knows how much of a difference they might've made in 2006/07.

Well, no, but you might be surprised how many of us in England like watching him bat. Obviously I don't want to see him make match-changing scores, but the odd 40 or 50 wouldn't do any harm.

And yes, we have been somewhat adversely affected by absences in recent series (maybe not enough to alter the result though). The loss of Flintoff and Simon Jones in 2002-03 and Jones, again, Vaughan and Trescothick in 2006-07 clearly hurt us - although it meant that in 2005 Flintoff was in a sense our 'secret weapon' - the Aussies having seen so little of him.
    Yeah, I think that's right, especially about Flintoff. I for one had seen a little of him in the SA series preceding the Ashes that year (it was the first time I had pay TV) but aside from that very little of him.

WTR to Jones, before 2005 about the only memory many Aussies had of him was, sadly, his unfortunate injury at the Gabba. I don't suppose his mood against us was helped by some spectators yelling out "Get up you soft Pommie ****" when he hit the deck that day
    Last edited by Burgey; 10-06-2009 at 05:20 PM.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    If Pietersen does get ruled out, I'll be straight onto the NZ TAB site to back the Aussies for a series win.
    Why wouldn't you bet with Pietersen included?

Odd's would be better now, and if Pietersen goes, odds will be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Right Arm-Fast View Post
    Oh well no big loss.

The only things I could think of in response to this is you are an idiot, you think Australia will dominate England with or without Pietersen, or you think Pietersen is dire and/or won't have an impact on the series.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    In fact I'd rather watch Prior than Pietersen.
    Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    Why wouldn't you bet with Pietersen included?
    Nah, that's cool - you tell me how to gamble. I wouldn't have the first clue how to even put on a bet...

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Nah, that's cool - you tell me how to gamble. I wouldn't have the first clue how to even put on a bet...
    Well why would you go and put money on Australia winning with Pietersen included, which would have better odds, than go in when he is not included, when the odds would be worse? Stupid, IMO.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information