Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: Who will score more runs in the 2009 Ashes?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mitchell Johnson

24 85.71%
  • Stuart Broad

4 14.29%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Johnson vs Broad with the bat

International Regular
    1. Who is a better Test batsman?

Well, if I was an opposition bowler, I would rather bowl to Broad than Johnson. Also, I would back Johnson to score more runs out of the two, and Johnson to score them quicker, so I would say Johnson.

2. Who will score more runs in the Ashes?

Johnson, on the basis that he is guaranteed to play all 5 games unless injuries intervene.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Is that three stumps laughing at such a thought?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Jakester1288 View Post
    Well, if I was an opposition bowler, I would rather bowl to Broad than Johnson.
    That's not neccessarily cogent with who's better though. Most would have preferred to bowl at Larry Gomes than Richie Richardson in circa 1985 too, but it's quite possible that Gomes was the better player.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That's not neccessarily cogent with who's better though. Most would have preferred to bowl at Larry Gomes than Richie Richardson in circa 1985 too, but it's quite possible that Gomes was the better player.
    Never really understood the general logic of that anyway TBH. Maybe it's because I'm an off spinner, but I love bowling to batsmen who attack me - they're more likely to offer a chance. I bowl to get people out.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09

Quote Originally Posted by John Singleton
    Recognition of Property Rights in material objects is the recognition of a man’s right to exist; his right to pursue his own goals in his own manner at his own discretion with what is rightfully his to command. Just as the Right to Life is the right to the property of one’s own person, so the right to own material products is the right to sustain one’s life and to keep the results of one’s own efforts.

Yeah, but it's about those who attack recklessly. Some - like Tendulkar for instance - would go after spin and you never felt you had much of a hope of getting him out. Someone like Laxman and Ganguly was to some extent similar. Dravid, meanwhile, was every bit as unlikely to get out but would probably not be so aggressive (and not just positive - outright aggressive, looking to score rather than merely being difficult to contain).

Yet as a spinner you'd always prefer to bowl to a Gilchrist or Langer, who plays shots, but is weak against spin, than a Dravid.

Essentially, it's a case of as a bowler your order of preference is:
    Strokeless and hapless (know it's only a matter of time)
    Strokeplaying and hapless (know it's probably only a matter of time but also that there's a chance they'll get lucky)
    Sedate and assured (know you're not likely to get them out but they probably won't destroy you)
    Strokeplaying and assured (feel you can neither contain nor dismiss)

Yet as far as calibre of batsmanship is concerned, strokeplaying and assured is no better than sedate and assured, if the number of runs that results is the same.

Johnson.

Broad may score more runs due to the fact that England will bat more than Australia.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    More in terms of overs, sure. That's bound to happen when Jimmy bowls for us.
    Phillip Hughes 1988-2014

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

19 first up from Broad.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Think this might end up a style versus substance thang. Broad did only score 19, but looked pretty good doing it. More of a quote-unquote "proper" batsman than Bopara to my eye, for instance, who scored 16 more.

Doubt Mitch will win many style points, but may well outscore him. Monty bowling to him could be amusing, but for my Englishness. Catching practice for the crowd.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

State Vice-Captain
    Australia bowled some real dross to the tail, backed up by some even worse captaincy from ponting, didn't see Broad face a single yorker, surely the best ball to such a tall bloke? Broad has some shots but don't think his technique will stand up to quality bowling. Johnson just has incredible phyiscal power, anything in his zone will disappear, however similarly don't think he'll do too much in adverse conditions.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Think this might end up a style versus substance thang. Broad did only score 19, but looked pretty good doing it. More of a quote-unquote "proper" batsman than Bopara to my eye, for instance, who scored 16 more.

Doubt Mitch will win many style points, but may well outscore him. Monty bowling to him could be amusing, but for my Englishness. Catching practice for the crowd.
    I think Broad vs. Swann is a more apt comparison. Swann is arguably better IMO, but Broad looks better somehow, even while scoring half as many runs.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post

Reckon Midge is awesome to watch. Very straight bat, hits the ball cleanly and hard.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes View Post
    Reckon Midge is awesome to watch. Very straight bat, hits the ball cleanly and hard.
    Yeah, is entertaining, don't get me wrong. Just unlikely to get the Nicholases & Gowers of the world frothing at the gash with the textbook creaminess of his cover drive.

Hmm, think he has decent enough technique bar his footwork. If he moved his feet I reckon he'd be considered a superb technician (for a lower order player, anyway).

Would probably diminish his game though.

Johnson just...................... but i do think that Broad might sneak it in the Ashes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information