• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are we any closer to knowing England's Ashes XI

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
I think we are 99.9% sure of who the Ashes XI will be. We have 10 core players I'm (and most) are almost certain will play every game if fit which are:

Strauss
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson

On all the grounds barring Cardiff, I think Onions will play. Lord's (if it is the same as the test vs WI), Headingley and Edgbaston allow for swing if the atmospheric conditions are right. The Oval is pretty flat but that's the last test so we'll judge accordingly.

At Cardiff I will be shocked if Panesar doesn't play. If he bowls especially well, he could play @ Edgbaston since offies do well there as a rule.

The only problem I see is if Freddie isn't fit.

2freddie

Cricket Spectator
Who would u have in there if freddie isnt fit? An extra bowler or an extra batsman? onions or bell?

FBU

International Debutant
No matter how well Onions did against the West Indies I think Sidebottom, who has hardly played much cricket in the last year will play. Onions will be the reserve bowler.

Panesar's form isn't very good this year. I think if they did play two spinners Rashid might be in contention as the second spinner especially if he plays and does well in the 20/20s even though it is a different format.

I see Flintoff playing as a batsman only on the 11th June for Lancs, batting and bowling on the 17th and then playing in the England XI v Warks game.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Who would u have in there if freddie isnt fit? An extra bowler or an extra batsman? onions or bell?
An extra bowler for me.

Freddie is in the team because of his bowling. His batting is very hit and miss.

I'd have Onions.

No matter how well Onions did against the West Indies I think Sidebottom, who has hardly played much cricket in the last year will play. Onions will be the reserve bowler.

Panesar's form isn't very good this year. I think if they did play two spinners Rashid might be in contention as the second spinner especially if he plays and does well in the 20/20s even though it is a different format.

I see Flintoff playing as a batsman only on the 11th June for Lancs, batting and bowling on the 17th and then playing in the England XI v Warks game.
I hope Onions will play ahead of Sidebottom, but since Sidebottom is centrally contracted you're probably right.

Panesar hasn't been in great form, but I still think in tests he is above Rashid in the pecking order. Rashid is in the lmited overs team(s) because he can bat as well as bowl.

Flintoff has the ability to not bowl a ball in anger in a game and then come back in a test and be dead on from the first ball. It's really incredible. His batting on the other hand requires him to spend a lot of time in the middle, hopefully more than a few innings.

simmy

International Regular
I would play the exact same team that beat West Indies at home with Flintoff in for Bresnan (obviously).

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I'd pick Sidebottom ahead of Onions, at least for the first 2 tests, he's looking as though he's fitter now. If we have Sidey and Jimmeh opening the bowling in swinging conditions we might have a chance to knock a few over, especially if Fred is coming on firing at first change.

If i was picking the side I put Flintoff at 8 or probably 9 and say right Fred, show us you deserve to be higher.

Strauss
Cook
Bopara
KP
Collingwood
Prior
Broad
Swann
Flintoff
Sidebottom
Anderson.

Decent lower order...if Anderson is required for NW, Flintoff could be batting at 10, he'd love that :lol:

Last edited:

FBU

International Debutant
Well if the ball isn't swinging then Onions will offer more than Sidebottom.

2009 first class bowling

210.1 overs 42 wickets at 15.14 econ 3.02 s/r 30.0 - Onions
160.0 overs 9 wickets at 51.88 econ 2.91 s/r 106.6 - Sidebottom

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think we'll go with this side at Cardiff:

Strauss*
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior+
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Sidebottom
Anderson

There is a genuine case for Flintoff to bat 8/9 as dav said, I think he'll finally play a full series (if he stays fit) as a 7 though. Prior is too good to not be in the top six.

Same team as dav I think, just a different batting order. I think Sidebottom V Onions is the only question being asked at this point.

Onions will probably get a game at some point though. Don't think we'll see Panesar or Vaughan all series, Bell is the first batsman in the queue I'd imagine.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm hoping on..

Strauss
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Sidebottom
Anderson

Maybe bring Rashid in for Sidebottom if there is a turner.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A real worry to see Foster standing up to Sidebottom last night

If he's incapable of backing up or simply bowling medium pace, then he shouldnt be anywhere near the squad

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

If he's incapable of backing up or simply bowling medium pace, then he shouldnt be anywhere near the squad
Nah, was just a tactical decision for the last over, wasn't it?

Woodster

International Captain

Foster's such a talented keeper he could stand up to most, especially one as accurate as Sidebottom. He hasn't been medium pace, in fact he's been touching 90 mph at times during these 20 over games.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, Jack Russell stood up to Mike Smith, Ian Harvey and Jonathan Lewis, all of whom were capable of bowling 84-85 mph, in one-day cricket. They were simply accurate enough that a good wicketkeeper, like Russell (and Foster is the same) could stand up for a relatively short time.

Obviously such a thing would never happen in a Test barring exceptional circumstances.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A fit and firing Sid would get my vote and him being a cack-hander is a bonus too, but he still looks a tad beefy to me. Hitting 88mph in 2020s is one thing, but doing it constantly over 5 days (as he'll need to to be a threat) might be beyond him still.

Would def play him in the warm-up v Warwicks.

Is it a proper FC game or a hit-and-giggle job? The former, one hopes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Last time England played a First-Class game against a county must've been about 1885 or something.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
A fit and firing Sid would get my vote and him being a cack-hander is a bonus too, but he still looks a tad beefy to me. Hitting 88mph in 2020s is one thing, but doing it constantly over 5 days (as he'll need to to be a threat) might be beyond him still.

Would def play him in the warm-up v Warwicks.

Is it a proper FC game or a hit-and-giggle job? The former, one hopes.
It's a 3-day game. I don't know whether we're allowed to play more than 11 players. One would assume not, given the fuss we kicked up over the Aussies doing the same.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
As each day passes, I am crossing my fingers that Flower and Strauss ignore any please from Flintoff and bat him on merit (no higher than 8). The best we can expect is an aggresive cameo, and thats not any less likely at 8 or 9 than it is at 6

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As each day passes, I am crossing my fingers that Flower and Strauss ignore any please from Flintoff and bat him on merit (no higher than 8). The best we can expect is an aggresive cameo, and thats not any less likely at 8 or 9 than it is at 6
Hope they will take firmer line with him. From the outside it often looked as if he was being played at 6 for no other reason than he considered himself a batting all-rounder, in spite of the increasingly large body of evidence to the contrary.

Suspect he only got the Ashes captaincy in 06/07 because it "mattered more" to him as well.