• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are we any closer to knowing England's Ashes XI

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think they'll put him above Prior. Would you put him above Broad, that's the more difficult question?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think they'll put him above Prior.
I don't neccessarily think they will, but it wouldn't remotely surprise me if they did.

It's quite obvious that Prior is the better batsman but it's been obvious since the time the two first played a Test together. So far, Flintoff is yet to bat below Prior, and it's quite conceivable to me that this won't change in 2009. Nothing has changed: Prior was better than Flintoff in 2008 and he's better than him now. But there's this thing in England about Flintoff being a number-six and it being negative to bat him lower than that and all that nonsense - and there's also always been the misfounded belief that Flintoff is a genuine number-six standard player. People simply seem to believe, of times, that if they want him to do better than he's capable of doing, he will.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
For me flintoff bats at 7 for the Ashes. Prior has shown he has the quality to bat at 6, while giving Freddie the freedom at 7, not as much expectation on scoring runs and will inevitably bat with the tail which may not be a bad thing. He bats above Broad for me.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Well I'd be more confident in Broad scoring consistent runs than Flintoff TBH. Would go with Prior, Swann, Broad, Flintoff.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF, while I'd certainly back Broad to make far fewer nothing scores than Flintoff, I'd also back him to make fewer scores that have the potential to change a game quickly.

That Broad will end-up a better Test batsman than Flintoff is not, to me, OOTQ, but right now I'd have Flintoff ahead of Broad because Broad is right now best as a complimentary player who can bat with someone else; Flintoff is best coming in with the chance to change a game (as he can do, though won't very often) without running-out of partners. That is, the chance of Flintoff changing a game won't come about that often, and we can't afford to waste it if it does.

I, of course, have always favoured four bowlers and seven batsmen, so thus I'd have Flintoff eight Broad nine (not going to happen this series and I know that full well) but I'd prefer Flintoff ahead of Broad right now.

Woodster

International Captain
Well I'd be more confident in Broad scoring consistent runs than Flintoff TBH. Would go with Prior, Swann, Broad, Flintoff.
I honestly cannot see Freddie batting lower than 7. I understand that Broad has looked decent down the order, but I don't see him becoming an all-rounder. He'll chip in with some useful knocks down at 8, but that's all I can see him doing. It's no secret Freddie's batting has struggled for some time, but a series like this will surely serve to get his juices flowing again, and we'll see flashes of the Freddie of old. Just a gut feeling...

tooextracool

International Coach
At Cardiff I will be shocked if Panesar doesn't play. If he bowls especially well, he could play @ Edgbaston since offies do well there as a rule.
Would pick Rashid over Panesar to be honest. Rashid already has far more variety than Panesar and he looks to have some potential for TMC, although I really do think they really set him up for failure by picking him for the t20 world cup. Could have ruined his career IMO.

tooextracool

International Coach
If i was picking the side I put Flintoff at 8 or probably 9 and say right Fred, show us you deserve to be higher.
Sends all the wrong signals to the opposition to send someone with an Ashes winning 100 to bat anywhere below 7 IMO. Not to mention that Flintoff in his sleep is a better batsman than Swann and at the moment better than Broad.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Some absolute trash being talked on CWOT today. Amongst other crap, Allott just suggested playing this XI at Cardiff

Strauss
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Prior
Flintoff
Rashid
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
FFS, six bowlers?

yup, he said his squad would be the XI above plus Collingwood and they asked him who he'd leave out if it was spinning (to play Rashid) and he's said you couldn't leave Onions out...then went on to say you couldn't leave any of the others out but you could leave Collingwood out.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Some absolute trash being talked on CWOT today. Amongst other crap, Allott just suggested playing this XI at Cardiff

Strauss
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Prior
Flintoff
Rashid
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions
That depressed looking guy was shocking. Allot is always shocking. The other two (?) were good though.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
The youngish guy is the depressed looking guy right? cos he was shocking, talking about England doing pretty well in the T20 WC and the only player who might have improved the team was Napier. And said Collingwood had a good tournament as captain

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think we'll go with this side at Cardiff:

Strauss*
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior+
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Sidebottom
Anderson

There is a genuine case for Flintoff to bat 8/9 as dav said, I think he'll finally play a full series (if he stays fit) as a 7 though. Prior is too good to not be in the top six.

Same team as dav I think, just a different batting order. I think Sidebottom V Onions is the only question being asked at this point.

Onions will probably get a game at some point though. Don't think we'll see Panesar or Vaughan all series, Bell is the first batsman in the queue I'd imagine.
I agree with this post completely.