• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Squad Form

Luffers

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If I'm honest Onions isn't good enough to bowl the Australians out, though he didn't play badly against the Windies he didn't show any star quality or assests which England do not already possess through Anderson Broad and Flintoff.

For me Sidebottom would play due to the variety he'd add. Having a left armer will give us the opporunity to change it up and give the batsman different things to think about. If the ball is swinging Anderson and Sidey could rip it up whilst if the pitch is more suited to the a seaming ball Flintoff and Broad could do the majority of the work.

Of course if they decide to go with two spinners Panesar would be the best bet IMO, Rashid is a good talent but needs to be given time to really develop his leg spin. He's only 21 of course and he won't peak bowling wise till his late 20's early 30's.

cowboy up

Banned
Panesar's not going to be a threat to the Aussies i'm afraid, rivera. I'd be absolutely shocked if he does anything this series. Picking him for the "slow" Cardiff pitch would surely be a mistake considering he's never done anything at all on slow pitches before.

His start to the county season has been beyond a joke too. 4 wickets in 4 games at an average of 75 in Division Two, and in the one-dayers he's taken just two wickets in five matches @ 85. Mind you, it's two more wickets than he's taken in the five Twenty20 games he's played, where his record reads 16 overs for 107 runs and no wickets. How is he going to be useful in the Ashes when he can't take wickets in lower-level county games?

The guy is either useless or horrendously out of form. He might play against Australia. But he shouldn't.

so 4 wickets in 4 games,sounds like 4 miss hits in 4 games.that is honestly so pathetic im struggling to understand why they would even mention his name for the ashes let alone play him:wacko:

chris hall

Cricket Spectator
As much as i dont like it i still believe that england are goin to lack the experience they will lose without michael vaughan not in the side he rises to the occasion and has always scored big runs against the aussies ravi has done well but it was against an under strength windies side

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As much as i dont like it i still believe that england are goin to lack the experience they will lose without michael vaughan not in the side he rises to the occasion and has always scored big runs against the aussies ravi has done well but it was against an under strength windies side
Like in 2005, where Old Trafford apart Vaughan contributed virtually nothing?

Picking a player who hasn't played internationally for almost a year and has done absolutely nothing domestically is a recipe for disaster.

Pringle

Cricket Spectator
I agree with GingerFurball. Vaughan has had his time. The current side does lack experience, but the only way they'll ever get some is to be involved in important games.

hitmanpaul

Cricket Spectator
I think england should go into the ashes with this side

Strauss (c)
Cook
Bopara
Pieterson
Collingwood
Prior (wk)
Broad
Flintoff
Swann
Sidebottom
Anderson

Dont see Flintoff as a huge threat with the bat any more and he definately shouldnt be batting above 8...Think Strauss will score big runs in the series, as will Pieterson, Bopara might get a couple of 50s, Cook will. Collingwood will get a few handy knocks, and Broad will have a few good scores, and i can see Swann chipping in with runs...Flintoff i dont see scoring many.
With the ball i think Jimmy Anderson is the best bowler in either side, and with Broad, Flintoff and Sidebottom there that is one hell of a potent seam attack, and Swann is a far better spinner than Giles or Panesar in the last 2 series. If Flintoff is injured (which, lets face it, is pretty likely) then Onions will probably come in to replace him, simply cos we dont have much else.
From the Aussies i can see Ponting and Hussey scoring runs, and michael Clarke probably will too, see little else as a threat though. Glad Symonds isnt playing. Apart from Johnson theres very little in the bowling to worry about, and there is no spinner that would be in the top 3 in englands selection to pick from

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think england should go into the ashes with this side

Strauss (c)
Cook
Bopara
Pieterson
Collingwood
Prior (wk)
Broad
Flintoff
Swann
Sidebottom
Anderson

Dont see Flintoff as a huge threat with the bat any more and he definately shouldnt be batting above 8...Think Strauss will score big runs in the series, as will Pieterson, Bopara might get a couple of 50s, Cook will. Collingwood will get a few handy knocks, and Broad will have a few good scores, and i can see Swann chipping in with runs...Flintoff i dont see scoring many.
With the ball i think Jimmy Anderson is the best bowler in either side, and with Broad, Flintoff and Sidebottom there that is one hell of a potent seam attack, and Swann is a far better spinner than Giles or Panesar in the last 2 series. If Flintoff is injured (which, lets face it, is pretty likely) then Onions will probably come in to replace him, simply cos we dont have much else.
From the Aussies i can see Ponting and Hussey scoring runs, and michael Clarke probably will too, see little else as a threat though. Glad Symonds isnt playing. Apart from Johnson theres very little in the bowling to worry about, and there is no spinner that would be in the top 3 in englands selection to pick from
Interested to hear your thoughts on Stuart Clark in particular, given that comment. Obviously hasn't bowled in tests in England, but I'd think he's perfectly suited to conditions there.
All opinion of course, but I'd have him over Braod and Sidebottom any day of the week.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I agree with GingerFurball. Vaughan has had his time. The current side does lack experience, but the only way they'll ever get some is to be involved in important games.
And also experience is of no use whatsoever without ability and Vaughan has made no demonstration whatsoever of his ability (ability everyone knows he has and always has done) over the last year. In a way that effectively sums-up his career, he's flattered to deceive.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
so 4 wickets in 4 games,sounds like 4 miss hits in 4 games.that is honestly so pathetic im struggling to understand why they would even mention his name for the ashes let alone play him:wacko:
Because MSP has done virtually nothing in First-Class county cricket for the last three seasons (2007, 2008 and so far in 2009) but has still ripped it up in Tests on one or two occasions when he's gotten a turning deck in that time.

County form counts for very little when MSP is under consideration.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who would you play, Panesar?
No, I'd play Swann, and under no circumstance ever would I play anyone else. That includes Gareth Batty.
Rashid is one of the best legspinners in the world
That's only because wristspin is an incredibly difficult art to bowl to any remotely good standard. Rashid has, just about, achieved a decent standard, but he still has yet to prove himself an outstanding bowler at county level. Do we really imagine he has it in him to cause trouble at international level presently?
he is such a talent and we shouldn't waste it.
Precisely, we should not. And one of the best ways to waste talent is premature elevation above one's station.

Howsie

International Captain
England have looked a lot better when they have played two spinners lately though, if you had to play two spinners who would you play then?

Rashid would have to be picked.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England played two spinners on two rank turners and in one game that was massively abbreviated.

The surface makes the fingerspinner, not the other way around.

England should not, under any circumstance, play two spinners this series. On more of the decks than not, one spinner is unlikely to have any effect. This series should be decided by the quality of seam.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wouldn't the weather have a bit to do with this as well? In 1993 Australia played two spinners to great effect, but IIRC that Northern summer was unusually dry, meaning the wickets took more turn than they otherwise may have.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I dunno given that AUS are currently playing spin like how did in the 90s again. The option of England playing Swann/Monty should not be ruled out.