• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WAGs on tour

Should WAGs be involved during the Ashes tour?

• Yes, free to come and go at any time

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Not at all, it's business, haven't you heard of Skype?

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Yes, but with some restrictions on dates from CA

Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Shoaib Akhtar is free

Votes: 8 23.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Redbacks

International Captain
Watching the back page on fox today, it seems that the WAGs of the Australian team are going to be taken into camp pre-ashes for meetings. This is partly due to the rift which occurred between the wives of:

camp A - Ponting
camp B - Katich
which players believe took a few years to settle amongst the squad.

So what do you think about their involvement on the tour?

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
We have a million other cricketing related issues more relevant. Squad selection, possible lineups, leading wicket takers, Phil Hughes and on and on.

Non factor these disputes. Nobody on this forum should be suckered into such rubbish.

Redbacks

International Captain
We have a million other cricketing related issues more relevant. Squad selection, possible lineups, leading wicket takers, Phil Hughes and on and on.

Non factor these disputes. Nobody on this forum should be suckered into such rubbish.
CA obviously think it's a big enough issue? Are you the Noble Idiot?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
CA obviously think it's a big enough issue? Are you the Noble Idiot?
CA have said nothing over the matter, they have never turned this into an issue. They have simply invited the players wives and girlfriends to the players pre-tour camp, I don't see anything unusual about that.

The story has been created by some headline grabbing journalist, who has written an article lacking any substance.

pasag

RTDAS
Will be the first thing that's turned on if we lose. You can bet your bottom dollar on that.

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
CA have said nothing over the matter, they have never turned this into an issue. They have simply invited the players wives and girlfriends to the players pre-tour camp, I don't see anything unusual about that.

The story has been created by some headline grabbing journalist, who has written an article lacking any substance.
They were invited to partake in some sort of relationship seminar :laugh: but apparently less than half showed up citing work commitment 8-)

I don't think the media should be giving this bunch of publicity-hungry lot any attention at all. The media attention causes the competition and these girls have nothing better to do than gossip.

Redbacks

International Captain

fair point, however I think it is slightly unusual to bring them to a pre-tour camp and wanted to gauge opinion here of the posters. Never suggested it was a 'key issue' just something to consider, given the legacy AB left behind with regards to Ashes tours.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will be the first thing that's turned on if we lose. You can bet your bottom dollar on that.
Yeah, absolutely. It'd be good if it was a non-issue, because it should be. But it isn't.

FTR I've always said that a) some things are more important than cricket and b) a happy domestic environment > a less-than-happy domestic environment when you're trying to play cricket.

Even if the addition of WAGs to the touring party has its downsides, IMO the banning of them from the touring party has far more.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anyone know the story between Ponting's & Katto's respective other halves?

Anyway, there's probably a Sports Science dissertation waiting to be written about the effect of WAGs (always thought it should be Wives Or Girlfriends, as few would have have the stones to take both on tour, but the acronym might be off-putting) on sportsmen on tour or in a tournament. My personal suspicion is they probably have a slightly divisive, negative influence if they're there for the whole time (the England football team has improved out of sight since Capello disbanded the WAG circus), but have no hard data to support this.

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
They're just a bunch of bim....okay I won't attack them but I'd say give them about 1 week on the tour to help those conjugal bonds. Who cares if they can't get along. It's not as if it doesn't happen everywhere else that women exist.

1 week. That's it. The fact is, as much as these boys pretend to love having their partners on tour (here's looking at you M.Clarke), they love doing their own thing without a fussy, needy spouse on tour; drinking all night etc.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone know the story between Ponting's & Katto's respective other halves?

Anyway, there's probably a Sports Science dissertation waiting to be written about the effect of WAGs (always thought it should be Wives Or Girlfriends, as few would have have the stones to take both on tour, but the acronym might be off-putting) on sportsmen on tour or in a tournament. My personal suspicion is they probably have a slightly divisive, negative influence if they're there for the whole time (the England football team has improved out of sight since Capello disbanded the WAG circus), but have no hard data to support this.
Must totally depend on the girls, and the blokes, in question. If both have any sense, surely it can be managed sensibly.

howardj

International Coach
Even if the addition of WAGs to the touring party has its downsides, IMO the banning of them from the touring party has far more.
It's not a case of one or the other.

However, they are over there for work - that should be the priority.

CA are shouting them for three weeks during the 1st and 2nd Tests.

That is enough, in my opinion.

After that time, they should keep their distance.

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
It's not a case of one or the other.

However, they are over there for work - that should be the priority.

CA are shouting them for three weeks during the 1st and 2nd Tests.

That is enough, in my opinion.

After that time, they should keep their distance.

Three weeks for different groups. I'm guessing they get to choose which group to tour with so that the warring bitc..uh I mean women don't end up together and are safe in their cliques.

howardj

International Coach
Three weeks for different groups. I'm guessing they get to choose which group to tour with so that the warring bitc..uh I mean women don't end up together and are safe in their cliques.
Nah, it's the same three week window for all the Ashes WAGs.

Anyway, I think it should come at the end of the tour, not at the start.

The lads need time to establish the feel and mood of the tour; and this is best done first up.