• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting shows lack of class (Chapter 94)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pasag

RTDAS
Read the link, mate. CA did;

It appears the move would mirror England's preparations for the last Ashes series in Australia in 2006-07 when the tourists played 14 in their opening tour game against NSW but then played with 11 against South Australia.
Yeah, I know but it's a little different changing the whole nature of the match a couple weeks out as opposed to agreeing to it in negotiations, from the outset.

If it came down to it, Lee should be bowling as Clark'll have some county FC matches over the next few weeks (should have had more, ffs!). Maybe play both and leave Siddle in cotton wool for a bit longer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England set to say no to Ponting - The Ashes 2009 - Fox Sports

Anyone know whether this is set-in-stone? If so, the ECB indulging in the silliest games of the pre-tour hype so far surely. Even tops people bitching about Hughes being given a pre-Ashes hit in England despite him being signed well before he made the Test side (if anything, MIddlesex got reamed because they woudl have signed him with a full season in mind).
Would CA grant the request if the roles were reversed? I doubt it and not from a gamesmanship pov, but because the games lose FC status and become a little bit of a joke. Not that I care, personally, but I've seen people on this board get pretty pissy with 12 a side games.
Yeah, 12-a-side games are completely pointless IMO. You may as well just have the players bat, bowl and field in the middle for four days with allocated time for each batsman and bowler. There's no point keeping scores if the game isn't 11-a-side.

I hope both these games are forced to stay 11-a-side but if it's 1 out of 2 then that's better than nothing.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
It's a bit hypocritical, England regularly field 13 or more players in their tour games. It was trash talk from Ponting about switching Lords for Cardiff, but he may well have had a point. Would you believe I just found the World T20 and Ashes forums by mistake, was thinking it was a bit odd that there was no sticky thread.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a bit hypocritical, England regularly field 13 or more players in their tour games.
Other boards would be 100% within their rights to refuse. And I for one wish they would - as I say, a 13-a-side match is completely and totally pointless in my book.
It was trash talk from Ponting about switching Lords for Cardiff, but he may well have had a point.
He didn't. It's a complete and total non-issue that he was either trying to find the excuse to make nothing out of or just didn't have a clue what he was on about and thought it was a genuine tactical move.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Dunno, can't help but think that Australia losing to Bangladesh at Cardiff is lurking in the subconcious of this decision.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Far more likely that they're trying to absolutely maximise the novelty of a new Test venue by giving it the biggest, most attention-grabbing match in E&W cricket.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
Far more likely that they're trying to absolutely maximise the novelty of a new Test venue by giving it the biggest, most attention-grabbing match in E&W cricket.
Or that £30 million speaks louder than tradition and history...and common sense

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What tradition and history is being sacrificed?

It's a schedule FFS. There has virtually never been a year in the history of English cricket where the same schedule has been followed - and there is going to be more change than ever now there are eight Test venues rather than the six which was in place for a century.

As I said earlier - if the suggestion was being made to scrap Lord's as an Ashes venue then maybe you could talk about some sort of upheaving decision which disbanded historical values being made. But there is no such proposition. All that's happening is the schedule being shifted around a bit - something that happens every single bloody year.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
What tradition and history is being sacrificed?

It's a schedule FFS. There has virtually never been a year in the history of English cricket where the same schedule has been followed - and there is going to be more change than ever now there are eight Test venues rather than the six which was in place for a century.

As I said earlier - if the suggestion was being made to scrap Lord's as an Ashes venue then maybe you could talk about some sort of upheaving decision which disbanded historical values being made. But there is no such proposition. All that's happening is the schedule being shifted around a bit - something that happens every single bloody year.
Yeah quite. I remember as a kid that Headingley used to be the first Test. Then Edgbaston (eg '95, '97). Only relatively recently has it been Lord's. Ponting's whinge is based on a complete falsehood that Lord's has always been the first Test.

Good to see Hussey showing a bit of respect to the hosts on arrival in England the other day. Showing a little more class than dear little Ricky ever seems capable of.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Geeze some people are douche's. As it's been said before, point out exactly where Ponting is having a whinge and you may have a point. He wasn't complaining about anything, as opposed to making a statement as to why he thought the lords match has been moved. The fact that he's most likely wrong doesn't mean he's having a whinge, nor does it mean he's showing a lack of class. It means he's most likely wrong....that's it.

Thread title should read "Lets get stuck into Ponting for no apparent reason (chapter 94)".

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Geeze some people are douche's. As it's been said before, point out exactly where Ponting is having a whinge and you may have a point. He wasn't complaining about anything, as opposed to making a statement as to why he thought the lords match has been moved. The fact that he's most likely wrong doesn't mean he's having a whinge, nor does it mean he's showing a lack of class. It means he's most likely wrong....that's it.
Well perhaps whinge isn't the right word - perhaps "making ridiculous accusations" puts it better.

"There was a fair bit of talk about it last time, starting the Ashes at Lord's, given our record. This time around, it will be the second Test match, and I've got no doubt they changed it on purpose."

Are you really proud that your captain says this kind of thing in public?

Anyhow :laugh: at a few of the Aussies here getting their knickers in a twist about this thread

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well perhaps whinge isn't the right word - perhaps "making ridiculous accusations" puts it better.

"There was a fair bit of talk about it last time, starting the Ashes at Lord's, given our record. This time around, it will be the second Test match, and I've got no doubt they changed it on purpose."

Are you really proud that your captain says this kind of thing in public?

Anyhow :laugh: at a few of the Aussies here getting their knickers in a twist about this thread
I think you'll find most people don't care, unless they support another team.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you'll find most people don't care, unless they support another team.
Yeah, probably true. But the fact is that, from what I can tell, Ricky Ponting is disliked by English cricket fans in a way that none of his recent predecessors have been, and this sort of thing is the reason why.

I've a vast amount of respect for him as a player though. It's just a pity he can't keep his trap shut, particularly if he's going to act like this while trying to lecture the world on "the Spirit of Cricket".

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I think Ricky Ponting's disliked by all non australian cricket fans, similarly to how Ganguly is disliked by all non Indian cricket fans. Regarding this post, both sides are severely lacking in the 'class' department IMO, each has a long rap sheet of offences from bodyline to jelly beans, for either side to lecture anyone on the spirit of the game is pretty ridiculous, though the same could be said for most sides these days (though a few Indian players [not bhaji obviously] and the Sri Lankan side are stand outs IMO). England seem to have lost their moral compass and maturity since Alec Stewart left, Australia seem to have compromised their values (whatever happened to what happens on the field stays on the field?) since Steve Waugh left too.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
I think Ricky Ponting's disliked by all non australian cricket fans, similarly to how Ganguly is disliked by all non Indian cricket fans. Regarding this post, both sides are severely lacking in the 'class' department IMO, each has a long rap sheet of offences from bodyline to jelly beans, for either side to lecture anyone on the spirit of the game is pretty ridiculous, though the same could be said for most sides these days (though a few Indian players [not bhaji obviously] and the Sri Lankan side are stand outs IMO). England seem to have lost their moral compass and maturity since Alec Stewart left, Australia seem to have compromised their values (whatever happened to what happens on the field stays on the field?) since Steve Waugh left too.
While I mostly respect Sri Lanka's integrity, the name Ranatunga does elicit alot of dislike around the world and as for India; Ganguly (you mentioned), Bhaji (you mentioned), Sreesanth (probably not worth mentioning).

Pakistan - always seem to have some sort of deviousness going on
South Africa - Abbrassive personalities and unusual selection criterias
New Zealand - harmless as little puppies really
West Indies - Like me, got way too into the ganga and lost the combatitive edge
England - not really a dislike; more a pity

(and I expect that I've made some enemies here and will probably regret posting after half a botla scotch)

cheers

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hell no, Ganguly is a legend.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He's absolutely certainly wrong. It was a completely ineducated comment, which would not have been made if he'd bothered to look properly into what he was commenting on.

Whether he deliberately made the comment knowing he was wrong with the sole intention to stir-up some reaction, or whether he just spoke without thinking, is of course something only he will know.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's absolutely certainly wrong. It was a completely ineducated comment, which would not have been made if he'd bothered to look properly into what he was commenting on.

Whether he deliberately made the comment knowing he was wrong with the sole intention to stir-up some reaction, or whether he just spoke without thinking, is of course something only he will know.
Irony.

Status
Not open for further replies.