• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting shows lack of class (Chapter 94)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've never understood this stigma some have about referring to yourself in third-person TBH, whether it's James Anderson, Michael Clarke or Michael Vaughan or whoever. It's just a way of speaking that's a bit different, there's absolutely nothing newsworthy about it.
To me it sounds like you've got your head firmly wedged in your own arse when you go around referring to yourself by your own name. Unless you have memory problems of course and don't know who you are without constantly reminding yourself.

pasag

RTDAS
Enjoying the Aus Eng rivalries that have started all of a sudden on this board.

We get a long so well for two years and then all of a sudden, a month or two out, BAM, we're at eachothers throats.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone

We get a long so well for two years and then all of a sudden, a month or two out, BAM, we're at eachothers throats.
*defends Ponting's honour with life*

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Yeah borderline amusing.

TBH though I think both "standard" POVs are wrong - someone should just have said "this isn't newsworthy".

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
To me it sounds like you've got your head firmly wedged in your own arse when you go around referring to yourself by your own name. Unless you have memory problems of course and don't know who you are without constantly reminding yourself.
GeraintIsMyHero disagrees with the above

**** off, ****

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Agreeing with those saying referring to yourself in the 3rd person makes you seem mighty arrogant.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I do hope you two can resist the most tedious Anglo-Australian phoney-war in CW history. :yawn:

Matt79

Global Moderator
No "definitely" about it at all. To some people it seems that way; to others it does not.
<sigh> fine. For the VAST majority of people refering to yourself in the third person conveys elements of self importance or self absorption.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
It depends in what tone Anderson said it.

Sometimes, talking in the 3rd person is a good way of being "matter of fact".

When talking about the West Indies bowling situation, he said something like "West Indies don't have a Michael Holding or Andy Roberts or Colin Croft so they have to bowl another way".

He wasn't saying the current crop aren't as good, but are just different and Colin Croft isn't arrogant in any way, even though he had good right to be with 125 wickets @ 23.30, 49.3 SR.

Anderson is 1 of the quietist, modest cricketers around. He just does his job and shuts up. He doesn't go overboard when celebrating a wicket or talk trash to the batsman at the other end (only Fidel Edwards who deserves to get some talk for all his crap he gives out) so in his case I don't think talking about himself in the 3rd person is a sign of self-importance or arrogance in the slightest.

To my ears something like- "They don't have a bowler like me or Stuart" sounds more arrogant than "they don't have a bowler like a Broad or an Anderson".

Status
Not open for further replies.