Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathan Hauritz

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Murali's a wristspinner, Botha's a fingerspinner. Completely and totally different deliveries, and really rather misleading to refer to both as "Doosra".
    Well, they're both off spinners so I suppose the naming of it as a "Doosra" is justified. I don't think there is an official name for an off spinner's "googly", and "Doosra" sounds good.

I remember all the crap Murali had with his originally, and they ended up changing the rules because of it, so Botha's must look SO suspect for it to be illegalised.

Botha's delivery is comparable to the likes of Prasanna, Saqlain and Harbhajan Singh.
    So should it be legalized in that case? (I haven't seen much of Botha tbh).
    All-Time Test XI:
    Gavaskar, Boycott, Tendulkar, G.Pollock, V.Richards, Sobers, Gilchrist (wk), Warne (c), Waqar/Wasim, Lillee, Ambrose.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    I don't know. This is a wild punt, but I think that he could frustrate England and that he could pick up enough turn to exploit this in what is predicted to be a dry summer. The ball does spin a bit in England when it is dry for a prolonged period of time.
    I don't know about that TBH - one of the hottest summers (and pretty dry) of recent times was 2003, and there were no turning decks in Test cricket that summer. 2004 (a moderate summer) and 2006 (a pretty sunny and fairly dry one) both produced three and, well, maybe two-and-a-half, turners.

Recently (last 3 years) Old Trafford has turned and nowhere else has. Between 2000 and 2003 practically no Test pitch turned much. In the 1990s it was generally Old Trafford, sometimes The Oval and pretty much nowhere else.

There's really no way of knowing whether the pitches are going to turn, apart from recent precedent. Certainly, extended spells of hot, dry weather make no significant impact, and no serious meteorologist will ever predict the outcome of an entire summer - it's an absurd thing to do. The truth is the weather in this country can be forecast accurately only for a day or two at a time.

Either way, even if there are two or three turning decks in the Test series I still don't see Hauritz threatening greatly. Even on the rank bunsen Mumbai 2004/05 (which there is pretty much certain to be nothing remotely like this series) he still got hammered (his figures were good because he dismissed a few tailenders). The only way his figures are going to be good this series is if England play him poorly, which of course is far from impossible but I do hope it won't happen.
    Last edited by Richard; 22-05-2009 at 03:14 PM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by rivera213 View Post
    Well, they're both off spinners so I suppose the naming of it as a "Doosra" is justified. I don't think there is an official name for an off spinner's "googly", and "Doosra" sounds good.
    Nah, there's really no such thing as an "off-spinner", just an off-break or a leg-break - and that depends 50% on batsman and 50% on bowler (an off-break to a RHB is a leg-break to a LHB and vice-versa).

There's just fingerspin and wristspin, and Murali is neither fingerspinnner nor orthodox wristspinner.
    I remember all the crap Murali had with his originally, and they ended up changing the rules because of it, so Botha's must look SO suspect for it to be illegalised.
    They didn't, they changed the rules because they realised they were based on false ideals. But anyway, Murali is incomparable to most other bowlers, because he has a physical deformity of the elbow which makes any straightening more apparent and even makes straightening appear apparent where there is none.
    So should it be legalized in that case? (I haven't seen much of Botha tbh).
    Nah, Botha isn't neccessarily using the same technique and has been found to be outside the limits. None of those others were - some, of course, were never tested.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Reckon Hauritz will do a great job myself. He's always been a confidence bowler, and now he's recognized as first choice, I think he'll draw on that. I have noticed in the last season that he is flighting the ball more, and being around the Australian set-up regularly he could show a lot of improvement. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he takes consistent wickets.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Nah, there's really no such thing as an "off-spinner", just an off-break or a leg-break - and that depends 50% on batsman and 50% on bowler (an off-break to a RHB is a leg-break to a LHB and vice-versa).

There's just fingerspin and wristspin, and Murali is neither fingerspinnner nor orthodox wristspinner.
    Categorisation of an off spinner or leg spinner is based on both the batsman and bowler using the same hand. Murali is an offie to RH so is categorized as an off spinner. In reality it's just something to label him.

Murali being the exception to the rule, 99.9% of wrist spinners are leggies to a batsman who uses the same hand and and 99.9% of finger spinners are offies.

They didn't, they changed the rules because they realised they were based on false ideals. But anyway, Murali is incomparable to most other bowlers, because he has a physical deformity of the elbow which makes any straightening more apparent and even makes straightening appear apparent where there is none.
    But they changed the rules as a result of reviewing them based on their decision to ban Murali's doosra. There are plenty of batsmen who think the initial rule was the correct one (degree of straightening). Adam Gilchrist being 1.

The rule was changed as a direct result of him. If Murali didn't exist, the rule would still be the same.

Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar have had rule changes made in Basketball as a direct result of them.

Nah, Botha isn't neccessarily using the same technique and has been found to be outside the limits. None of those others were - some, of course, were never tested.
    Fair enough in that case.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright View Post
    Reckon Hauritz will do a great job myself. He's always been a confidence bowler, and now he's recognized as first choice, I think he'll draw on that. I have noticed in the last season that he is flighting the ball more, and being around the Australian set-up regularly he could show a lot of improvement. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he takes consistent wickets.

Spot on regarding Hauritz as a confidence bowler. You only need to see his improvement in the ODI game to recognise how confidence plays such a large role in his game. Hauritz becomes more prepared to throw the ball up above the batsman's eyeline, and also looks to get more turn. When finding his way Hauritz is prone to just darting the ball in.

Dissapointing that an off-spinner cannot back his own game to begin with.

If he plays twice, he'll get Pietersen 3 times, purely because Pietersen will attempt to hit him into the next county.

I take my hat off to this man.

Gone from the ****house to the penthouse in record time.

Every time he turns the corner nowadays, it's blue skies.

I admire the way he went to NSW and has turned his career around.

He genuinely is a good offspinner nowadays.

Banned

Dude, this would be a good starting point to learn about off breaks and leg breaks.

Off break - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    If he plays twice, he'll get Pietersen 3 times, purely because Pietersen will attempt to hit him into the next county.
    Ha ha.

Yeah, Pietersen can't resist against mediocre bowlers. Yuvraj Singh being the obvious example.

Hopefully he wont play and reverse shots in the first test. It only takes 1 to grip and turn to make him look like a pillock.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Dude, this would be a good starting point to learn about off breaks and leg breaks.

Yeah, as far as I was aware it was categorised according to what they bowl to a right-handed batsman. And therefore a left-handed bowler is called 'orthodox' or 'chinaman' and not 'off-break' or 'leg-break' as it'd get confusing. Keeps it pretty simple and you always know what the bowler is bowling.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    I take my hat off to this man.

Gone from the ****house to the penthouse in record time.

Every time he turns the corner nowadays, it's blue skies.

I admire the way he went to NSW and has turned his career around.

He genuinely is a good offspinner nowadays.
    Give me a break Howie...

I think you have a man crush on Horrie. Pick the team and decide who will take more wickets - "Horrie" or the 4th Quick (which maybe Stuart Clark, or at worst case Hillfy).

I'd play piggy riddle as a spinner before horrie...

Quote Originally Posted by JRF1973 View Post
    Give me a break Howie...

I think you have a man crush on Horrie. Pick the team and decide who will take more wickets - "Horrie" or the 4th Quick (which maybe Stuart Clark, or at worst case Hillfy).

I'd play piggy riddle as a spinner before horrie...
    piggy riddle
    Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Dumb I told him"the serpent that never dies is dead I took her life three thousend years ago! the never ending battle has ended"

Awesome Test XI

Tillekeratne Dilshan
    Simon Katich
    Ricky Ponting (c)
    Michael Hussey
    Michael Clarke
    AB de Villiers
    Brad Haddin (k)
    Daniel Vettori
    Peter Siddle
    Dong Bollinger
    Ben Hilfenhaus

Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post

I don't need any of that - an off-break is a ball that turns into a batsman, a leg-break is one that turns away. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by rivera213 View Post
    Categorisation of an off spinner or leg spinner is based on both the batsman and bowler using the same hand. Murali is an offie to RH so is categorized as an off spinner. In reality it's just something to label him.

Murali being the exception to the rule, 99.9% of wrist spinners are leggies to a batsman who uses the same hand and and 99.9% of finger spinners are offies.
    Murali's an exception to hundreds of rules - the only thing there's any point, in my view, categorising him as is a spinner. He's no more an off-spinner than any other right-arm standard fingerspinner is, because he bowls at LHBs as often as anyone.
    But they changed the rules as a result of reviewing them based on their decision to ban Murali's doosra. There are plenty of batsmen who think the initial rule was the correct one (degree of straightening). Adam Gilchrist being 1.

The rule was changed as a direct result of him. If Murali didn't exist, the rule would still be the same.
    It was simply a rule that needed someone to show-up the absurdity of it. Murali turned-out to be that person - if he hadn't, someone else, eventually, would have done.

I just wish it'd happened years ago because with hindsight it's pretty embarrassing that it took until 2004 for the realisation to dawn that no bowler bowls with an arm that straightens to zero degrees, and that five degrees is also completely unreasonable to expect. With a bit of imagination and luck, that could've been spotted in 1970.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information