Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Does the Swalec Stadium deserve Test status?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 25.00%
  • Yes, but not an Ashes Test just yet

6 30.00%
  • No

7 35.00%
  • Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch

2 10.00%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Swalec Stadium

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    Can't help but feel you are a little over optimistic Rivera.

Series is about damage limitation in my opinions, though the longer we can keep competing the closer it might get. A drawn first test would be a great result for England, weather might help.
    I was starting to think he wrote for the English tabloids. The should be getting excited about now as England are running through the mighty West Indies.
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Hi, Stuart Broad
    Broad's got to do a bit more than look useful and produce not-all-that much on some flatties and produce semi-decently in some of the most seam-friendly conditions you could wish for against some utterly shambolic batting before I'll consider him of any note TBH.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Only a few days later you had this - Cricinfo - Group B: Middlesex v Somerset at Lord's, May 17, 2009

That was described as a belter (positive connotations), yet Cariff was the disgrace. Go figure.
    You don't need to tell me how stupid it is for non-bowler-of-any-type-friendly to be considered "good" and bowler-(be-it-spin-or-seam)-friendly to be considered "good" - I've always believed this myself. I much prefer moderately bowler-friendly (only like to see extremely bowler-friendly on a relatively small minority of occasions) to flat-as-pancake.

I'm simply pointing-out that Lord's has taken some everso slightly unfair stick in recent times.

Suppose it depends what you class as 'of note' - but 12 wickets @ 30, econ 2.8 on the flattest pitches of all-time (yeah, yeah, hyperbole ftw) is worth taking note of even if you think his work in the series just gone isn't. as I've said, I agree that he still has a lot to prove but find it unfair to basically assume he is of no worth to our seam attack

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

If Broad bowls as he has the last 4-5 months I don't see him being remotely successful against good-quality batsmen even on relatively well-grassed decks. He's still not doing enough and is bowling far too much harmless short stuff.

I think if anyone is relying on him as a key part of their seam attack they're in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Suppose it depends what you class as 'of note' - but 12 wickets @ 30, econ 2.8 on the flattest pitches of all-time (yeah, yeah, hyperbole ftw) is worth taking note of even if you think his work in the series just gone isn't. as I've said, I agree that he still has a lot to prove but find it unfair to basically assume he is of no worth to our seam attack
    Yeah, totally agreed.

I don't think anyone's seriously claiming Broad has suddenly transmogrified into Curtly McGrath, but he was our best seamer in the West Indies, so he's of no worth we might as well not bother with bowlers at all.

Personally I was impressed with the way he dismissed the two class batsmen in the Windies line-up in the 1st innings at Durham with his variations too; he got Shiv with the off-cutter & Sarwan with a short-pitched delivery after thoroughly roughing up a man who'd made 100. Yes, he was bowling to Strauss's plan, but the execution was his own.

He is a work in progress but equally he is progressing and brings more to the table as a cricketer than any of the other back of a length bowlers we've played in the last 2-3 years (Harmison, Tremlett or Saj).
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rivera213 View Post
    I'm always over-optimistic when it comes to England. Lol

Australia haven't been that impressive, while their batting line-up is excellent (it's annoying how as soon as a couple of people retire, their replacements are ready to go straight away!), I feel if Siddle doesn't get it right, there'll only be Mitchell Johnson.

And while I think he is the best bowler in the world atm, if Siddle isn't there and Clark repeats his recent poor display of bowling, it'll be a 1-man attack.

I don't think Lee has still got it personally. I know he was injured but he is in his 30's and Logan is waiting.

Of course not, but Aussies are good with their mind games & Langer has probably batted against both Swann and Panesar. If he thought neither were a danger (even on a turning wicket) I'm sure he would've said "playing 2 spinners is the way to go for England" knowing far well the Aussie batting could null the spin attack.
    Short memory imho.

2.5 months ago they beat SA in SA, with a largely untried attack. Siddle will do well there, as will Clark (assuming fitness of both is ok). I'd pick both those fellas ahead of Lee and Hilfenhaus. If North plays at 6, that gives you 3 quicks, and 1 spinner (adding North and Hauritz together). If Watson plays at 6, it gives you 3.5 quicks (given his injury worries) and 0.5 spinners.
    Last edited by Burgey; 20-05-2009 at 06:31 PM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

"Do you know why I have credibility? Because I don't exude morality." - Bob Hawke

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You mean his inability to run through one of the best batting units ever assembled in Test cricket on some rank flat decks?

Hardly poor for my money.
    Siddle outbowled him with some straight, fast-medium deliveries ffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Short memory imho.

2.5 months ago they beat SA in SA, with a largely untried attack. Siddle will do well there, as will Clark (assuming fitness of both is ok). I'd pick both those fellas ahead of Lee and Hilfenhaus. If North plays at 6, that gives you 3 quicks, and 1 spinner (adding North and Hauritz together). If Watson plays at 6, it gives you 3.5 quicks (given his injury worries) and 0.5 spinners.
    That series was also the worst I've seen South Africa play for a while. It wasn't the Australia of old, going to a foreign country and tearing teams apart. When people get out to Hauritz's bowling, you know there's something wrong.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    That series was also the worst I've seen South Africa play for a while. It wasn't the Australia of old, going to a foreign country and tearing teams apart. When people get out to Hauritz's bowling, you know there's something wrong.
    Doesn't sound to me like you saw anything. Hauritz didn't even play a match

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Doesn't sound to me like you saw anything. Hauritz didn't even play a match
    Hauritz gaffe aside, I agree with Riviera in general. The SA batting attack is hardly the best in the world. Even in Australia, they won because their lower order shored them up in hopeless situations. The difference between SA in Aus and Aus in SA was that Steyn was off key, and Duminy did not click as SA wanted him to.

I would rate the batting lineups in test cricket in the following order:

1. India
    2. Australia
    3. South Africa
    4. Sri Lanka
    5. England
    6. New Zealand
    7. Pakistan
    8. West Indies.

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    Hauritz gaffe aside, I agree with Riviera in general. The SA batting attack is hardly the best in the world. Even in Australia, they won because their lower order shored them up in hopeless situations. The difference between SA in Aus and Aus in SA was that Steyn was off key, and Duminy did not click as SA wanted him to.

I would rate the batting lineups in test cricket in the following order:

1. India
    2. Australia
    3. South Africa
    4. Sri Lanka
    5. England
    6. New Zealand
    7. Pakistan
    8. West Indies.
    Were you sleeping for all of 2008 when the entire lineup, with the exception of Kallis, pretty much smacked every attack they faced?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Were you sleeping for all of 2008 when the entire lineup, with the exception of Kallis, pretty much smacked every attack they faced?
    I have listed that order purely on current form. We are close to middle of 2009 my friend, and SA have done nothing to substantiate a ranking above 3 in my list this year.

The fact that SA top batsmen made a pile of runs in 2008 (including against Bangladesh) does not take away anything from my argument that SA's wins and losses against Aus were more or less determined by their bowling and lower order batting. Top order batting was almost similar across both the series.

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith View Post
    I have listed that order purely on current form. We are close to middle of 2009 my friend, and SA have done nothing to substantiate a ranking above 3 in my list this year.

The fact that SA top batsmen made a pile of runs in 2008 (including against Bangladesh) does not take away anything from my argument that SA's wins and losses against Aus were more or less determined by their bowling and lower order batting. Top order batting was almost similar across both the series.
    Purely on "current" form, de Villiers and Prince are streets clear of any other bats out there.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Purely on "current" form, de Villiers and Prince are streets clear of any other bats out there.
    They are not.

Siddle outbowled him with some straight, fast-medium deliveries ffs.
    He didn't though - he just benefited from being in the right place at the right time the way Clark did not.

Siddle bowled a heap of crap on debut. There's no way on Earth what he sent down was better than what Clark did even if his figures were better.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information