Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Does the Swalec Stadium deserve Test status?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 25.00%
  • Yes, but not an Ashes Test just yet

6 30.00%
  • No

7 35.00%
  • Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch

2 10.00%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Swalec Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post

Justin Langer was on during the lunch break on Sunday saying he thinks it would be a huge mistake for England to prepare turning pitches and try to "spin Australia out of the Ashes". Any thoughts?
    That Langer has a surprisingly high-pitched voice and Broad is ageing well.

But, nah I agree with him, essentially. Our bowling strength has always been seam, ever since I've been watching and probably since they started covering wickets. Swann's perfromed very creditably so far, but at the end of the day, he's just an old-fashioned offie. Albeit one who gives it a fair rip, has a decent (and fairly well-disguised) arm ball to compensate for his lack of a throwsra & can bat and field. Monty, on the other hand, is pretty much a passenger if he's not running through teams.

Plus, of course, our weather always mitigates against being able to guarantee what pitches will do.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

Langer is ****ting himself because Australia have no decent spinners and we have 3. Ha ha.

I think we'll play both Swann and Panesar (I like Rashid, but he hasn't featured at all so I can't see us giving him his debut in the Ashes opener), the Cardiff wicket generally keeps low which will help the seamers. It's better for us if Flintoff is fit because he can (and does) bowl dead straight to RH and bowls a "heavy ball".

I wouldn't play Broad in that first test personally. Does anyone else think if he couldn't hold a bat he wouldn't be in the team yet?

What would your XI's be for that first test (if everyone in contention is fit)?

My XI:

Strauss
    Cook
    Bopara
    Pietersen
    Collingwood
    Flintoff
    Foster (it's even more important that we have a top notch gloveman on a pitch that keeps low and turns)
    Swann
    Anderson
    Onions
    Panesar

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    Can't help but feel you are a little over optimistic Rivera.

Series is about damage limitation in my opinions, though the longer we can keep competing the closer it might get. A drawn first test would be a great result for England, weather might help.

Quote Originally Posted by rivera213 View Post
    Langer is ****ting himself because Australia have no decent spinners and we have 3. Ha ha.
    Australia won't cry and threaten to go home however

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Justin Langer was on during the lunch break on Sunday saying he thinks it would be a huge mistake for England to prepare turning pitches and try to "spin Australia out of the Ashes". Any thoughts?
    It'd be going hugely against the grain, because since covered wickets England has been traditionally a seam-haven rather than a spin-haven. However, mostly the team's strengths have managed to play to that - almost always England's stocks of seam have been at worst as strong as those of spin, at best much, much stronger. To have a situation like that we currently have - where our spin stocks genuinely are stronger - is most unusual.

Also I know for certain that there's a hell of a disenfranchisement in Australia with the whole idea of deliberately preparing a certain pitch - they just seem to think it's cheating, being unsportsmanlike, etc. Myself (and it seems most non-Australians) I think it's something called "home advantage", but apparently it's seen as taboo in Australia - you should supposedly just let the prevailing soil make the whole choice, rather than just part of it (obviously it's mostly not possible for the groundsman to be able to prepare a surface exactly to plan - some of it depends on prevailing soil and prevailing weather). So I can't help thinking that probably impacted on Langer's comments too.

So in short I'd say that if England's spin stocks are stronger than their seam ones, prepare turners rather than seamers. Either way, certainly, certainly, certainly don't prepare flat, lifeless decks because that plays right into Australia's hands - their batting is beyond all question infinitely stronger than England's.
    Last edited by Richard; 19-05-2009 at 11:13 AM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It'd be going hugely against the grain, because since covered wickets England has been traditionally a seam-haven rather than a spin-haven.
    We have one late blooming County cricketer, a compulsive appealing PR creation and an unproven batsman.

Hardly Bedi, Chandrasekhar and Prasanna.

Im not sure England have strong spin bowling stocks, its just that Aus are at a modern low in the department without their 2 leg spinners.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave View Post
    Can't help but feel you are a little over optimistic Rivera.

Series is about damage limitation in my opinions, though the longer we can keep competing the closer it might get. A drawn first test would be a great result for England, weather might help.
    I'm always over-optimistic when it comes to England. Lol

Australia haven't been that impressive, while their batting line-up is excellent (it's annoying how as soon as a couple of people retire, their replacements are ready to go straight away!), I feel if Siddle doesn't get it right, there'll only be Mitchell Johnson.

And while I think he is the best bowler in the world atm, if Siddle isn't there and Clark repeats his recent poor display of bowling, it'll be a 1-man attack.

I don't think Lee has still got it personally. I know he was injured but he is in his 30's and Logan is waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Australia won't cry and threaten to go home however
    Of course not, but Aussies are good with their mind games & Langer has probably batted against both Swann and Panesar. If he thought neither were a danger (even on a turning wicket) I'm sure he would've said "playing 2 spinners is the way to go for England" knowing far well the Aussie batting could null the spin attack.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Of course not, but Aussies are good with their mind games & Langer has probably batted against both Swann and Panesar. If he thought neither were a danger (even on a turning wicket) I'm sure he would've said "playing 2 spinners is the way to go for England" knowing far well the Aussie batting could null the spin attack.
    It's not like the England selectors are going to change their minds over what Langer says. He also said Flintoff is one of the best bowlers he's ever faced, does that mean he's trying to get England to play him cos he's ****?

It's not like the England selectors are going to change their minds over what Langer says. He also said Flintoff is one of the best bowlers he's ever faced, does that mean he's trying to get England to play him cos he's ****?
    No, but in 2005 our selectors weren't so suggestable as they are now and it's no secret that Flintoof on form is 1 of the most dangerous strike bowlers around.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    We have one late blooming County cricketer, a compulsive appealing PR creation and an unproven batsman.

Hardly Bedi, Chandrasekhar and Prasanna.

Im not sure England have strong spin bowling stocks, its just that Aus are at a modern low in the department without their 2 leg spinners.
    England certainly don't have strong spin-bowling stocks but when your only seamer of any note whatsoever who can stay fit for 5 minutes is James Anderson you know your seam stocks are pretty low. The only point I was making was that England's spin is stronger than seam currently, not that spin is in outstanding health.

Whatever MSP's figures the last 3 seasons he clearly retains the ability to knock-over quality batting on a turning pitch. Swann clearly has this ability too. Thus, I'd be more confident with those two on a turner than with Anderson, Broad, Onions and co (especially up against Clark, Johnson, Siddle et al) on a seamer.

if Clark repeats his recent poor display of bowling
    You mean his inability to run through one of the best batting units ever assembled in Test cricket on some rank flat decks?

Hardly poor for my money.

It's no surprise though. Been happening for a good few years now. Though I don't agree that Lord's is "one of the most disgraceful pitches in the world" - as I've said, it's been flatter than would be ideal, but most of the Tests there would still have had results if lost play could be made-up. It's produced more flatties than would be ideal in recent years, but so have plenty of other grounds and because circumstances haven't conspired to produce a heap of draws at said grounds, they haven't got the criticism Lord's has.

Anyway, apart from two personal hobbyhorses (MSP and Cardiff getting an Ashes Test over the Riverside) this thread clearly has no aim given its starter.
    Only a few days later you had this - Cricinfo - Group B: Middlesex v Somerset at Lord's, May 17, 2009

That was described as a belter (positive connotations), yet Cariff was the disgrace. Go figure.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

England certainly don't have strong spin-bowling stocks but when your only seamer of any note whatsoever who can stay fit for 5 minutes is James Anderson you know your seam stocks are pretty low. The only point I was making was that England's spin is stronger than seam currently, not that spin is in outstanding health.

Whatever MSP's figures the last 3 seasons he clearly retains the ability to knock-over quality batting on a turning pitch. Swann clearly has this ability too. Thus, I'd be more confident with those two on a turner than with Anderson, Broad, Onions and co (especially up against Clark, Johnson, Siddle et al) on a seamer.
    Hi, Stuart Broad

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Only a few days later you had this - Cricinfo - Group B: Middlesex v Somerset at Lord's, May 17, 2009

That was described as a belter (positive connotations), yet Cariff was the disgrace. Go figure.
    Yeah, the whole positive language for dead pitches thing really grinds my gears. Don't mind flat ones for LO games though, it's when you have one side battling the pitch instead of two teams battling each other that the match goes to ****. Is damaging the longer format more than anything else IMO.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    No, but in 2005 our selectors weren't so suggestable as they are now and it's no secret that Flintoof on form is 1 of the most dangerous strike bowlers around.
    So which test are you going to use him in before he breaks down?
    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

"There's more chance of SoC making a good post than Smith averaging 99.95." - Furball

"**** you're such a **** poster." - Furball

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information