• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Blog - http://www.cricketweb.net/blog/asheshq/

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Would you rate a player higher for getting out early than you would for getting in then getting out?

In any case, their roles were reversed for the second innings, so they have one big one, one failure and one in-and-out each.
Generally, yeah. Of course guys are going to be easier to get out early, and sometimes you'll fail. Its how much you make it hurt when you get in that counts.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Generally, yeah. Of course guys are going to be easier to get out early, and sometimes you'll fail. Its how much you make it hurt when you get in that counts.
Well yeah. I'd still rather a player score 40 runs than score none at all though. Much better to be an Alastair Cook than a Chris Martin.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Katich gave it away in both innings' at Lord's though, and Ponting at least was got out in the first-innings. I tend to judge a batsman on whether he got himself out or whether he was got out, not on some stereotype that says it's always easier to get out on 3 than 33. A bad shot is a bad shot, and good bowling is good bowling, however many the batsman has. I'd give a batsman far more grief for getting out to a shocking shot on 2 than I would for receiving one that pitched leg and hit off on 41.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
GeraintIsMyHero - Seriously, absolutely dire. Any chance of you actually learning about the game of cricket before you write articles on it? You give England a bad name with your self-indulgent crap, thinking everything revolves around your country. Open your eyes for once.

(klaus)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Of course I do, Mr Murphy. We never, um, used to get on when he used to post round here.