• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Blog - http://www.cricketweb.net/blog/asheshq/

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit defeatist.

I can only point to South Africa's position last summer after three days of play. They'd just been made to follow on 400 runs short of England's first innings total. Their much-hyped attack had bowled horrendously and been plundered for runs for two straight days, and a hopeless batting collapse had seen them rolled for 200- which could have been much worse but for Ashwell Prince. Faced with batting out 7 sessions to win the match, England were massive favourites for the match and series.

South Africa eventually won the series at a canter. England won't comfortably beat Australia here, but it does show that you can't lose a five-match series in three and a half days. Every bit of pessimism, hopelessness and abuse of their team that England fans come up with this evening has been matched already by South African fans on the third evening at Lord's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
South Africa were clearly the superior side on natural talent at the start of that series. England had vastly overperformed in order to get into the position they did - batted really well on a flat deck then bowled actually quite brilliantly to knock the SAfricans over (along with one piece of luck when the only ball all match that misbehaved knocked-over SA's best batsman, Smith).

Here, Australia have underperformed and England have still come-out miles short. Australia are likely to get better; England might get better or might stay as bad (or even, heaven forbid, get worse). The only way things are going to be turned around is if England get better and Australia fail to, which is really rather unlikely, though, obviously, not impossible.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, today it's fairly clear that normal service has been resumed.
Indeed it has, but surely its been apparrent to quite a few on the forums that Broad was not the finished article (which is the bare minimum to survive Australia these days), Panesar was way off colour and should not have even been in consideration, whilst Swann has yet to show he can destroy a line up wirth any nous against spin, and was a big ask.

Alas perhaps ins some convoluted way picking Hauritz the Aussies caused England to forget just how much prep work their own attack needed, to dismiss a batting line up of Australia's calibre.:laugh:

having sid that, if KP, Collingwood, Strauss and Co, actually knuckle down as well as Katich and co demonstrated they should, England actually pick 4/5 bowlers who can be talked of as finished articles and they perform this series could still at the very least be more competitive.

Last edited:

Uppercut

South Africa were clearly the superior side on natural talent at the start of that series. England had vastly overperformed in order to get into the position they did - batted really well on a flat deck then bowled actually quite brilliantly to knock the SAfricans over (along with one piece of luck when the only ball all match that misbehaved knocked-over SA's best batsman, Smith).

Here, Australia have underperformed and England have still come-out miles short. Australia are likely to get better; England might get better or might stay as bad (or even, heaven forbid, get worse). The only way things are going to be turned around is if England get better and Australia fail to, which is really rather unlikely, though, obviously, not impossible.
It's not that I don't agree with you, it's just that all of your pessimism was matched and more by Saffas last year and that one turned out okay. There's still a long, loooong way to go.

I'll take exception to the suggestion that Australia have underperformed, because i find it hard to conceive of a better all-round batting performance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not that I don't agree with you, it's just that all of your pessimism was matched and more by Saffas last year and that one turned out okay. There's still a long, loooong way to go.
Difference between well-founded pessimism and unfounded pessimism, I guess. We'll see whether my pessimism is well-founded, but it was in 2002/03 and it was in 2006/07. Turned-out not to be in 2005, but I doubt anyone would be expecting that series to be repeated any time soon.

What I'm saying is that a poor start to the series for the underdog is generally disastrous; one for the favourite is not neccessarily a problem.
I'll take exception to the suggestion that Australia have underperformed, because i find it hard to conceive of a better all-round batting performance.
Me too, but the bowling of Johnson and Siddle was way below what can be expected of them for the rest of the series - or at worst, a good deal of the rest of it. Good batting is only half of the job, and even if Australia don't bat this well again for a while (quite likely), they might well still put in a better team performance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed it has, but surely its been apparrent to quite a few on the forums that Broad was not the finished article (which is the bare minimum to survive Australia these days), Panesar was way off colour and should not have even been in consideration, whilst Swann has yet to show he can destroy a line up wirth any nous against spin, and was a big ask.
Me included, should be noticed. I can't say I've ever been shy of saying I-told-you-so, even though I rarely predict anything much.
having sid that, if KP, Collingwood, Strauss and Co, actually knuckle down as well as Katich and co demonstrated they should, England actually pick 4/5 bowlers who can be talked of as finished articles and they perform this series could still at the very least be more competitive.
Trouble with England picking four-five finished-article bowlers is you can't pick something which is not available. The fact that Broad and MSP are in contention at all shows how thin England's resources are. The best hope is a wholly unknown quantity in Onions. There is also some hope for someone who has in the last year of lack of fitness become something of an unknown quantity in Sidebottom.

As for knuckling-down and saving this game, it's possible, but while replying to 450 is far from a tea-party, batting for a day with eight wickets left and 250 behind is considerably more difficult again.

Uppercut

Bit defeatist.

I can only point to South Africa's position last summer after three days of play. They'd just been made to follow on 400 runs short of England's first innings total. Their much-hyped attack had bowled horrendously and been plundered for runs for two straight days, and a hopeless batting collapse had seen them rolled for 200- which could have been much worse but for Ashwell Prince. Faced with batting out 7 sessions to win the match, England were massive favourites for the match and series.

South Africa eventually won the series at a canter. England won't comfortably beat Australia here, but it does show that you can't lose a five-match series in three and a half days. Every bit of pessimism, hopelessness and abuse of their team that England fans come up with this evening has been matched already by South African fans on the third evening at Lord's.

The comparison to South Africa last summer looks somewhat more apt now. England have got what surely must be their worst performance of the summer out of the way in the first game and go into the next match on level terms- and, one could argue, with plenty of momentum.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The comparison to South Africa last summer looks somewhat more apt now. England have got what surely must be their worst performance of the summer out of the way in the first game and go into the next match on level terms- and, one could argue, with plenty of momentum.
Or, you could say, Australia's bowlers were well below their best and England still came about as close as possible to losing.

Equally England escaped at the last-ditch; South Africa played their way out of trouble. Nonetheless, England's escape was completely unexpected and in that way there was certainly similarity to the SA Lord's Test last summer.

Top_Cat

Reckon you've been a bit gentle there, Corey.
Specifically on whom? Definitely tried to take a positive spin as, to me, being really negative, no matter how correct, just isn't much fun to read but I'd definitely be interested to know who you reckon I took it easy on.

In fairness, I knocked it together in an hour or so and didn't see any of day 5 yesterday so might have been a bit more scathing had I not been at band practice. haha

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
More in the scores in general, especially in comparison to GIMH.

But Johnson has been a four for me, even if he has taken wickets, he's given England momentum most of the times that he's bowled, and hasn't struck early in a spell yet once that I can remember.

Reckon that Ponting has been better than Katich, would have given Katich a 7. Got "in" during the first innings at Lords and got himself out.

Uppercut

Reckon that Ponting has been better than Katich, would have given Katich a 7. Got "in" during the first innings at Lords and got himself out.
Would you rate a player higher for getting out early than you would for getting in then getting out?

In any case, their roles were reversed for the second innings, so they have one big one, one failure and one in-and-out each.