• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Many Centuries Will Phil Hughes Score?

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
But my point is there was no ****iness about him at all. On the contrary, he was as humble a person as you could wish to meet, particularly for a kid who, even then, was being touted as the next big thing.
There's no ****iness about Pietersen at all when he's not being KP the cricketer. People need to understand there's a difference between being ****y when a person is in "work" and being ****y full stop.

And tbf, we need to drink copious amounts of coffee to stay awake while reading your posts :).
Ha ha.

:laugh:

Thanks Precum.
No probs.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I'd get all excited at this point, but we all knew it anyway.

Also, JIMMY ANDERSON IS A SAINT.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It'll be good for his development since he seems like a ****y bastard.
There's no ****iness about Pietersen at all when he's not being KP the cricketer. People need to understand there's a difference between being ****y when a person is in "work" and being ****y full stop.
I personally struggle to believe that calling someone a ****y bastard means you're purely limiting it to the way he plays the game, rather than a personal attack on the guy.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
I personally struggle to believe that calling someone a ****y bastard means you're purely limiting it to the way he plays the game, rather than a personal attack on the guy.
I'm not at fault for other people's wrong interpretations.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Shot selection is a talent, but it's something which can be worked on.
So can any talent - to varying extents. Anything which can't be worked on isn't to my mind a talent, more an asset. EG, height and strength of bone.
But it's not 95% of how good a batsman is, it's 95% of how SUCCESSFUL a batsman is. The 2 don't alway add up. There have been plenty of batsmen in test cricket who've punched above their weight and plenty who've failed even though they were more talented than the former.
Good and successful are essentially the same thing to me. Talented and good\successful are of course different.

Anyway, shot-selection is, same as eye, strength, hand-eye co-ordination, fleetness of foot, speed of arm, bowling action and many other things, a talent that with good work-ethic can be honed to a pretty good extent. Moderate natural talent can indeed be added to copious manufactured talent to make a very good player indeed. Gary Kirsten is one of the examples I always give for this.
Bell's shot selection isn't a result of misjudging line or length, but either trying to force the pace, trying to assert authority unnecessarily etc. Bell has an excellent array of shots. He can play any shot on the off side as well as many on the leg side. His drives are as picturesque as Vaughan or Tendulkar when on form. Anyone with that array of shots in their armoury which they can time almost from ball 1 has talent. The fact he has brain farts doesn't take away from that.
I don't neccessarily agree TBH, I think Bell's poor shot-selection is sometimes a simple inability to cope with the best calibre of bowling. There have indeed been times when he's tried to force the pace unneccessarily, but these have been in a minority. As often as not he's just trying to play a defensive or (worse) nothing shot and is caught in the cordon, or at bad-pad.

Whether he has the work-ethic and sufficient natural talent to up his game and solve this problem remains to be seen.
Graeme Hick had a great array of shots but it was mental errors which was the reason he failed at test level.

I've seen the majority of Ganga's test innings and he's never looked as set as Bell has or anywhere near the quality Bell is. Ganga is a 30 average test player and Bell is a 45-50 average test player in terms of ability and I've seen nothing from either of them to suggest differently.
I disagree TBH, I think with better mentality to cope with the intensity of Tests Ganga could easily have averaged 43-44 in a tough era and 47-48 in this easy one. The failures afflicting Hick and Ganga were very similar IMO, though obviously Hick >>>>>>> Ganga.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Actually, often when someone claims to have been misinterpreted, they often are at least partially at fault. Might need to express yourself more clearly.
Why- So people don't get all pissy for not understanding a comment was in context on a CRICKET forum?

Sorry, but that's absolutely no fault of my own.

Everyone arguing with my opinion happens to be Australian, do you think that's a coincedence? (I don't know where you're from though, maybe Metallicaville?)

Matt79

Global Moderator
:)

Didn't say it was all your fault, did I?

And if you don't care whether people on a CRICKET FORUM misinterpret you, why are you arguing about?

Redbacks

International Captain
Why- So people don't get all pissy for not understanding a comment was in context on a CRICKET forum?

Everyone arguing with my opinion happens to be Australian, do you think that's a coincedence? (I don't know where you're from though, maybe Metallicaville?)
odd considering Hughes is Sri Lankan8-)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire

Pipe down mate, you're embarassing your country

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It's Steyn every time for me. Fuller lengths, more dangerous lines, greater speeds- the results are there for all to see.
Yeah, all those come with the side effect of sometimes being expensive but it is often (nay, usually) a price worth paying for that extra cutting edge.

Son Of Coco

Bit harsh if he's not Precam, and I don't think he is ftr. Being feisty /= being a ****
You're right, I would have given him five stars but he's just a newcomer.

And I'm sure he'll enjoy being called a ****...it's justifies his posting on here in the first place. So maybe he was right.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think there's virtually zero chance riveira is Precambrian. He resembles C_C far more than Precambrian.

EDIT: that's not to say there's a strong chance he is C_C either, just that if his account is a d00plicate, it's someone other than Precambrian.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Sorry, can we just make it clear that he's definitely not Precambrian.
Leave the witch-hunting to the professionals, and everyone should stop being so hung up about it all. In the end, it's an internet forum and not a case of life or death. We'll deal with the accounts when we are sure of it, but otherwise can we please have people not baiting him, abusing him, etc. Both because of forum atmosphere, and because he enjoys the attention.

If you do have any suspicions about a certain account, feel free to leave a Visitor Message on my profile with the relevant details.
Just want to re-iterate this. If you think someone has a duplicate, notify the moderators rather than running around calling people names.

Matt79

Global Moderator
C'mon Jack, you can't expect us to believe that someone who hadn't been to the site before would show up and start posting!

From England!!

In the lead up to a keenly anticipated Ashes series!!!

Must be someone being a silly bugger! :-O

8-)

Son Of Coco

Sorry, can we just make it clear that he's definitely not Precambrian.

Just want to re-iterate this. If you think someone has a duplicate, notify the moderators rather than running around calling people names.

Excellent....twin brother perhaps? :happy:

Oh, and I think I asked someone about it but never heard anything.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

C'mon Jack, you can't expect us to believe that someone who hadn't been to the site before would show up and start posting!

From England!!

In the lead up to a keenly anticipated Ashes series!!!

Must be someone being a silly bugger! :-O

8-)
Well, I think it might have been his rather fanatical focus on slipping in a dig at Australia and general posting style that raised suspicions rather than the fact that he just started posting and he's from England. Common sense mixed with nonsense was our mate's trademark after all.

Must admit it was confusing though, as even though he sounded a bit like Precum to me, I've met a lot people like him in pubs and chippies in England - big mouths and hate someone saying something in return. So I'm glad it's all clear now. It's good to know he's a new addition. It's a pity we pass like ships in the night here though, it means our love will never truly blossom.

(I should just note, I've met plenty in other places too.)

Last edited: