Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Centuries Will Phil Hughes Score?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    That's because Anderson was 100% hopeless until last summer and hasn't exactly been the most fortunate bowler you'll see since then. Steyn of 2005/06 onwards is clearly better so far by miles but there are circumstances under which I think the Anderson of summer-2008-onwards could possibly now outdo him. Those circumstances, however, are going to be relatively rare ones, thus meaning overall Steyn is likely to continue to be overall more effective.
    I'm a little reluctant to call swing bowlers unlucky for the amount batsmen play and miss them because it generally shows they're bowling too short. If he was getting dropped all over the place like Sidebottom in 2007 it would be a different story.

Anderson has only looked like he'd probably be able to tear apart a top-class batting lineup in the past year. Dale Steyn has done it.

Although i don't mean to argue, because i know you broadly agree.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    I'm a little reluctant to call swing bowlers unlucky for the amount batsmen play and miss them because it generally shows they're bowling too short. If he was getting dropped all over the place like Sidebottom in 2007 it would be a different story.
    Sometimes, he has been. I too am reluctant to call, well, any bowlers really, unlucky for getting constant play-and-misses, because as I've noted, the best bowlers also get that all the time, but they still get the figures in the end. If you're eliciting irregularly-common play-and-misses you need to bowl fuller and, most of all, straighter. Because a play-and-miss to a straight ball = out. Steyn, as a matter of fact, has been something of a master of this in recent times.

But there have certainly been a couple of occasions of late where Anderson has done all he can be expected to and the fielders\Umpires have let him down.
    Anderson has only looked like he'd probably be able to tear apart a top-class batting lineup in the past year. Dale Steyn has done it.

Although i don't mean to argue, because i know you broadly agree.
    Anderson has done it - he just hasn't done it as often (anywhere near so in fact) as Steyn has. Anderson has done it a couple of times, Steyn eight or nine.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post

Not from what I've seen of him. But maybe he's appeared more on your TV's since he started his county stint. I think some people confuse cocky with confident though. If he wasn't confident he wouldn't be there.
    Nah, he's cocky & it'll get worse unless we give him a lesson.

Tendulkar is confident.

I don't mind cockiness, hell Pietersen is a cocky bastard too.

But Hughes is as cocky after only 3 tests & some big innings against mediocre bowlers.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    How is he cocky? He was saying yesterday that he was hoping to be in the Ashes squad, ffs.

Edit: As above.
    Yeah because players ALWAYS say publicly what they're thinking privately.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpers_Ghost View Post
    He may not have faced the "quality" of these (english)bowlers, but he has performed in almost every match he has ever played; and most of these matches were played against Australian bowlers. Is my memory a little hazy or has it not been proven again and again and again and again over at least 20 years (and for most of the last 100 years) that Australian bowlers are of a higher "quality"?
    Against Aussie state bowlers, most of whom aren't too good and wouldn't get a test place in your second XI. Let's not kid ourselves.

Also, what does the past have to do with the present?

As far as I know, Lillee, Thomson, McGrath, Gillespe, Warne have all retired. Or is my memory a bit hazy?

And come on, If you saw Anderson's bowling over the last 18 months you'd concede he is 1 quality bowler nowadays. I'd take Mitchell Johnson over him all things considered, but Anderson is WAY above any other Aussie bowler of the present so Hughes WILL be tested.

And, btw- I'm a Phillip Hughes fan. He showed great character in South Africa. But Matthew Hayden only averaged 34.50 in England and in 2001 & 2005, he was far more acomplished a batsman than Hughes is atm.
    Last edited by rivera213; 20-05-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by rivera213 View Post

Tendulkar is confident.

But Hughes is as cocky after only 3 tests & some big innings against mediocre bowlers.

Well, that's certainly a convincing argument. If you're going to attack the guy's character, at least back it up with some kind of evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Nah he's cocky, because I said so.

Or something
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

Tendulkar is confident.

Against Aussie state bowlers, most of whom aren't too good and wouldn't get a test place in your second XI. Let's not kid ourselves.

Also, what does the past have to do with the present?

As far as I know, Lillee, Thomson, McGrath, Gillespe, Warne have all retired. Or is my memory a bit hazy?

And come on, If you saw Anderson's bowling over the last 18 months you'd concede he is 1 quality bowler nowadays. I'd take Mitchell Johnson over him all things considered, but Anderson is WAY above any other Aussie bowler of the present so Hughes WILL be tested.

And, btw- I'm a Phillip Hughes fan. He showed great character in South Africa. But Matthew Hayden only averaged 34.50 in England and in 2001 & 2005, he was far more acomplished a batsman than Hughes is atm.

Too late.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar

Tendulkar is confident.

Looks like he's not the only cocky one. You've got every reason to be though I suppose....

Just out of interest...how do you know what he's saying privately?
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

sounds correct even if it means sfa.
    I'll do the math: 6 teams of 4 bowlers makes 24+ 6 Aussie bowlers = pool of 30. 4 are teamates and 3 teamates play internationally. So opposition pool = 23. 3 of these play for Australia, which leaves 4 to be chosen for "A" team (of which I'd open with BA Barachus and the Hanibal). 4/20= 1/5

So you are corect, 4fifths of the bowlers are not good enough to play for Australia A. but probably would be good enough to play for england, who'll pick just about anyone.

My point being that you have to be damn good to be bowling in First class cricket in Australia; even gives you a 30% chance of representing Aus (in A team or higher) and saying that their not good enough to get in Aus A team means sfa.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    And come on, If you saw Anderson's bowling over the last 18 months you'd concede he is 1 quality bowler nowadays.
    Anderson has bowled well of late, but you're making him sound like the best thing to come out of England since Grand Designs.

Come to think of it, he just might be...

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    So you are corect, 4fifths of the bowlers are not good enough to play for Australia A. but probably would be good enough to play for england, who'll pick just about anyone.
    If you're not good enough to play for Australia you're not good enough to play for England. Test-class bowler is Test-class bowler whoever you're playing for. Amjad Khan may have been picked for England but he wasn't good enough to be picked for England. Just because England may mistakenly pick loads of nothing bowlers doesn't mean they're all good enough to be picked.

If you're not good enough to play for Australia you're not good enough to play for England. Test-class bowler is Test-class bowler whoever you're playing for. Amjad Khan may have been picked for England but he wasn't good enough to be picked for England. Just because England may mistakenly pick loads of nothing bowlers doesn't mean they're all good enough to be picked.
    I won't get into the what I may consider laughable about that statement in its enitirety, except to say that I was mainly having a dig at the English selectors for picking rubbish bowlers (Pattinson anyone).

cheers

Icon11

I'd go as far as to say that Bichel or Kasper would have got a game for England when they were 12th man or missing out for Australia so that statement's not entirely true. Some countries will have a wealth of talent in one area at some stages when others are struggling. Just like the Aussies would have loved some of the left over Windies quicks in the 80's I'd imagine.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 21-05-2009 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Well, that's certainly a convincing argument. If you're going to attack the guy's character, at least back it up with some kind of evidence.
    Are you thick or something?

Even for an Aussie.

It's abundently clear he's cocky- but then Australian modest = everyone else's cocky so it's all relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo View Post
    Nah he's cocky, because I said so.

Or something
    No, because it's abudently clear to anyone with a 3-figured IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post

Too late.
    That's clever, did you think of that by yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post

Looks like he's not the only cocky one. You've got every reason to be though I suppose....

Just out of interest...how do you know what he's saying privately?
    THINKING privately.

It's just what sportsmen do.

1 example, Adam Gilchrist never said anything about Muralidaran's action being suspect while he was playing and the second he retires from international cricket, he admits he was thinking it.

Are you really that naive to think what people say on camera is the truth?

sounds correct even if it means sfa.
    I'll do the math: 6 teams of 4 bowlers makes 24+ 6 Aussie bowlers = pool of 30. 4 are teamates and 3 teamates play internationally. So opposition pool = 23. 3 of these play for Australia, which leaves 4 to be chosen for "A" team (of which I'd open with BA Barachus and the Hanibal). 4/20= 1/5

My point being that you have to be damn good to be bowling in First class cricket in Australia; even gives you a 30% chance of representing Aus (in A team or higher) and saying that their not good enough to get in Aus A team means sfa.
    Na, Aussie state bowlers are everybit as bad as our career county bowlers. No county/state cricket without it's international players is any good.

Don't sugar coat Aussie state cricket. It's everybit as bad as our county stuff, the difference is English people admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Anderson has bowled well of late, but you're making him sound like the best thing to come out of England since Grand Designs.

Come to think of it, he just might be...
    Anderson has bowled excellent of late. Anyone who knows anything about swing bowling would agree. The fact he bowled on dead wickets in the West Indies in the winter has messed up his stats.

When you take into account that people equate a batsman's average of 45 being the "old" 40, you have to take off 5 runs from the bowler's average to be consistent.

While Anderson doesn't have Steyn or Johnson stats (and I'm pretty sure I never said he was a world beater, just that he'll test all batsmen in England when it swings) his stats are very good nevertheless.

Have a guess at what the WORST thing to come out of England is...

* A clue. It begins with an "A" and rhymes with Bostralia.

Are you thick or something?

Even for an Aussie.

It's abundently clear he's cocky- but then Australian modest = everyone else's cocky so it's all relative.

No, because it's abudently clear to anyone with a 3-figured IQ.

That's clever, did you think of that by yourself?

THINKING privately.

It's just what sportsmen do.

1 example, Adam Gilchrist never said anything about Muralidaran's action being suspect while he was playing and the second he retires from international cricket, he admits he was thinking it.

Are you really that naive to think what people say on camera is the truth?

Na, Aussie state bowlers are everybit as bad as our career county bowlers. No county/state cricket without it's international players is any good.

Don't sugar coat Aussie state cricket. It's everybit as bad as our county stuff, the difference is English people admit it.

Anderson has bowled excellent of late. Anyone who knows anything about swing bowling would agree. The fact he bowled on dead wickets in the West Indies in the winter has messed up his stats.

When you take into account that people equate a batsman's average of 45 being the "old" 40, you have to take off 5 runs from the bowler's average to be consistent.

While Anderson doesn't have Steyn or Johnson stats (and I'm pretty sure I never said he was a world beater, just that he'll test all batsmen in England when it swings) his stats are very good nevertheless.

Oooohhhh! We've got one of the snidey ones!

This'll be fun.

So, anyway, how do you know what Hughes is THINKING privately? Are you a clairvoyant? Have you been reading tea leaves? The wrapper of a deep-fried lard sandwich? Or the perfectly intact end of a 3 year old toothbrush that's never been in contact with horrifically crooked teeth?

You won't fool anyone who's actually been to England with your holier than thou attitude mate.

got to love the pre Ashes prejudice
    Quote Originally Posted by Death
    Dumb I told him"the serpent that never dies is dead I took her life three thousend years ago! the never ending battle has ended"

Awesome Test XI

Tillekeratne Dilshan
    Simon Katich
    Ricky Ponting (c)
    Michael Hussey
    Michael Clarke
    AB de Villiers
    Brad Haddin (k)
    Daniel Vettori
    Peter Siddle
    Dong Bollinger
    Ben Hilfenhaus