Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Centuries Will Phil Hughes Score?

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rivera213 View Post
    Ha ha.

Yep.

It'll be good for his development since he seems like a cocky bastard.

He hasn't face swing bowlers the quality of Jimmy Anderson yet.

Not from what I've seen of him. But maybe he's appeared more on your TV's since he started his county stint. I think some people confuse cocky with confident though. If he wasn't confident he wouldn't be there.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Ha ha.

Yep.

It'll be good for his development since he seems like a cocky bastard.

How is he cocky? He was saying yesterday that he was hoping to be in the Ashes squad, ffs.

Edit: As above.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Yes, he did very well but again, it was only 3 tests.

Once bowlers and coaches work out his weakness and bowl to them, we'll see how good/bad a batsman he is.

Not after 6 innings.

After 25-30 averaging 69 with 10 centuries then maybe, but not 1 series.

South Africa isn't the terror it was during the Donald era.
    Given South Africa talked up his perceived weaknesses and then got punished it'll be interesting to see what England comes up with.

6 innings in test cricket is too early to make predictions about how good he'll be, but he's started very well and that's all he can do. There have been quite a few good domestic players come up and get sorted out immediately in test cricket, in comparison Hughes had adapted remarkably well.

To be fair, England isn't a patch on the SA attack now, let alone in the Donald era.

Ha ha.

Plus, I forgot to mention, Hughes hasn't faced a spinner the quality of Swann either and isn't great against spin from what I've seen.
    He may not have faced the "quality" of these (english)bowlers, but he has performed in almost every match he has ever played; and most of these matches were played against Australian bowlers. Is my memory a little hazy or has it not been proven again and again and again and again over at least 20 years (and for most of the last 100 years) that Australian bowlers are of a higher "quality"?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Trumpers_Ghost View Post
    He may not have faced the "quality" of these (english)bowlers, but he has performed in almost every match he has ever played; and most of these matches were played against Australian bowlers. Is my memory a little hazy or has it not been proven again and again and again and again over at least 20 years (and for most of the last 100 years) that Australian bowlers are of a higher "quality"?
    By and large, not the ones Hughes played against. But more importantly, it's generally much easier to bat in Australia, even allowing for their better bowlers.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    It's Steyn every time for me. Fuller lengths, more dangerous lines, greater speeds- the results are there for all to see. James Anderson has never had a single year in which he averaged less with the ball than Steyn does over his whole career (not even especially close, in fact).

Take your point about the lefties though. Definitely not half the bowler he is to right-handers.
    That's because Anderson was 100% hopeless until last summer and hasn't exactly been the most fortunate bowler you'll see since then. Steyn of 2005/06 onwards is clearly better so far by miles but there are circumstances under which I think the Anderson of summer-2008-onwards could possibly now outdo him. Those circumstances, however, are going to be relatively rare ones, thus meaning overall Steyn is likely to continue to be overall more effective.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    100% hopeless? Bit harsh. He was inconsistent but still bowled brilliantly on occasion (Mumbai 06 for example).
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpers_Ghost View Post
    Is my memory a little hazy or has it not been proven again and again and again and again over at least 20 years (and for most of the last 100 years) that Australian bowlers are of a higher "quality"?
    No, it hasn't. There have been more Australian bowlers of higher quality but there is nothing inherant about that - it's just the way the cookie has crumbled. Being brought-up in Australia doesn't make you a better bowler than being brought-up in England.

Australian bowlers aren't simply of higher quality than English ones purely because they're Australian.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    100% hopeless? Bit harsh. He was inconsistent but still bowled brilliantly on occasion (Mumbai 06 for example).
    He had about 3 decent Tests in 5 years. That's near to 100% hopeless, for my money.

You should look up 100%

By "100% hopeless" I don't mean "hopeless in every single over of every single spell of every single game" TBH. That'd be near-impossible.

I reckon i could achieve that!

What do you mean by 100% hopeless?

Just dreadful far, far more often than good\decent TBH.

And I probably should've said "who takes the art of bowling seriously".

Well I still think that's a bit harsh. It's not like he always went at 7 and over and wicketless. He's always been capable of taking wickets, it's just that used to spray it round a lot more

In most of his Tests he was completely harmless and only produced a wicket-taking delivery like once per game.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information