Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 382

Thread: How Many Centuries Will Phil Hughes Score?

  1. #31
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,492
    Quote Originally Posted by rivera213 View Post


    Just a touch optimistic based on 6 innings and a good start against generally mediocre county bowlers.
    Well he also killed South Africa in South Africa.
    Direbirds FTW!

    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

  2. #32
    U19 Vice-Captain rivera213's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Can't wait to see whether he gets destroyed by England, and confounds so many premature big-headed claims.
    Ha ha.

    Yep.

    It'll be good for his development since he seems like a cocky bastard.

    He hasn't face swing bowlers the quality of Jimmy Anderson yet.

  3. #33
    International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NT
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard's subconscious thought View Post
    I hope he gets destroyed by England, because I support England and it's in our sides best interest.
    fixed

  4. #34
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Quote Originally Posted by rivera213 View Post
    Ha ha.

    Yep.

    It'll be good for his development since he seems like a cocky bastard.

    He hasn't face swing bowlers the quality of Jimmy Anderson yet.
    TBF, with a record like that, I think you could excuse him for being a bit cocky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.


  5. #35
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    fixed
    Well, I obviously wouldn't mind, but I enjoy seeing big-headed premature "it will happen"s (that's not even a prediction - it's a declaration) turning-out plain wrong more even than I enjoy my team winning.

    TBH.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  6. #36
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,631
    Quote Originally Posted by rivera213 View Post
    Ha ha.

    Yep.

    It'll be good for his development since he seems like a cocky bastard.

    He hasn't face swing bowlers the quality of Jimmy Anderson yet.


    you wot
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

  7. #37
    U19 Vice-Captain rivera213's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well he also killed South Africa in South Africa.
    Yes, he did very well but again, it was only 3 tests.

    Once bowlers and coaches work out his weakness and bowl to them, we'll see how good/bad a batsman he is.


    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    TBF, with a record like that, I think you could excuse him for being a bit cocky.
    Not after 6 innings.

    After 25-30 averaging 69 with 10 centuries then maybe, but not 1 series.

    South Africa isn't the terror it was during the Donald era.

  8. #38
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Well he has scored 2500 odd FC runs at pretty much 70 with 10 100s, this coming in State Cricket, South Africa (Tests) and early season CC, all of which are hard places to score runs.

    BTW I do realise I am directly plagiarising someone's post from CC.

  9. #39
    U19 Vice-Captain rivera213's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post


    you wot
    Steyn is a better bowler but not purely on swing.

    It doesn't always swing in South Africa but it normally does in England and Anderson at the moment has awesome control. He can make left handers especially look stupid.

    Plus, I forgot to mention, Hughes hasn't faced a spinner the quality of Swann either and isn't great against spin from what I've seen.

    * Please don't post a picture of Harris.

  10. #40
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Yeah Harris isn't even a spinner anyway. Loved it on TMS when Boycs refused to call him anything other than a 'Slow Bowler'.

  11. #41
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    48,663
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    fixed
    I don't see anything wrong with hoping an opposition batsman fails tbh, I'm certainly hoping he scores **** all
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  12. #42
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by rivera213 View Post
    Steyn is a better bowler but not purely on swing.
    Steyn's 93mph outswingers > Anderson's 88mph outswingers.

    However, there's a fair bit to say about that. Anderson seems capable of swinging more cricket-balls than Steyn does; however, when the ball swings for them both, Steyn is capable of bowling the fast outswinger much more regularly, and pitching it in a dangerous spot more, than Anderson. If the ball is swinging properly for any bowler with any old seam-position I'll have Steyn over Anderson in a heartbeat.

    Anderson, however, is a much better containing bowler currently than Steyn and also has the ability to bowl the inswinger, which Steyn doesn't. Anderson is also a far, far, far better bowler to left-handed batsmen than Steyn is - Steyn against LHBs can of times look very average. Anderson however has all the tricks - inswinger, outswinger, over-wicket, round-wicket, the 'ole kaboodle.

    So under some circumstances I'll have Anderson over Steyn without too much thought - but both are bowlers reliant entirely on swing for their potency.

  13. #43
    International Vice-Captain Redbacks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NT
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with hoping an opposition batsman fails tbh, I'm certainly hoping he scores **** all
    just question the legitimacy of people using comments from external sources to say essentially that.

  14. #44
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .
    Posts
    23,631
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Steyn's 93mph outswingers > Anderson's 88mph outswingers.

    However, there's a fair bit to say about that. Anderson seems capable of swinging more cricket-balls than Steyn does; however, when the ball swings for them both, Steyn is capable of bowling the fast outswinger much more regularly, and pitching it in a dangerous spot more, than Anderson. If the ball is swinging properly for any bowler with any old seam-position I'll have Steyn over Anderson in a heartbeat.

    Anderson, however, is a much better containing bowler currently than Steyn and also has the ability to bowl the inswinger, which Steyn doesn't. Anderson is also a far, far, far better bowler to left-handed batsmen than Steyn is - Steyn against LHBs can of times look very average. Anderson however has all the tricks - inswinger, outswinger, over-wicket, round-wicket, the 'ole kaboodle.

    So under some circumstances I'll have Anderson over Steyn without too much thought - but both are bowlers reliant entirely on swing for their potency.
    It's Steyn every time for me. Fuller lengths, more dangerous lines, greater speeds- the results are there for all to see. James Anderson has never had a single year in which he averaged less with the ball than Steyn does over his whole career (not even especially close, in fact).

    Take your point about the lefties though. Definitely not half the bowler he is to right-handers.

  15. #45
    JJD Heads Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl:lsFJg/s
    Posts
    27,492
    Quote Originally Posted by rivera213 View Post
    Yes, he did very well but again, it was only 3 tests.

    Once bowlers and coaches work out his weakness and bowl to them, we'll see how good/bad a batsman he is.
    If he plays even 80% of those 3 Tests in the first 3 of the Ashes he'll have a stellar series.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. ***Official*** Australia in South Africa
    By pup11 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 5685
    Last Post: 20-04-2009, 04:42 AM
  2. Replies: 812
    Last Post: 01-07-2007, 11:30 PM
  3. Pietersen 2nd to Bradman?
    By aussie tragic in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 19-06-2007, 03:49 PM
  4. *Super Cup* in T&T
    By Mr Mxyzptlk in forum CW Offseason Club Cricket
    Replies: 267
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 12:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •