Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread: How Many Centuries Will Phil Hughes Score?

So what do we do with Hughes now, should he be picked as the opening batsman in case Watto gets injured or struggles at the opening slot, or should someone like Jaques or Rogers get a chance instead of him.

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Hayden still "heavy hearted" over Hughes dropping.

Haydos has been quite amusing on all this, you'd think Hughes had been replaced by Chris Martin. I think he's horrified a 'proper opener' isn't playing.

Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Hayden still "heavy hearted" over Hughes dropping.

Haydos has been quite amusing on all this, you'd think Hughes had been replaced by Chris Martin. I think he's horrified a 'proper opener' isn't playing.
    Nah... Hayden is just disappointed that Hughesy got dropped this early, and though Watto is doing fine as opener, but still everyone just felt that the Australian think-tank were too harsh on Hughes, and just wanted Hughes out of the side, irrespective of whom they replaced him with.

I think Hayden also might be having a sense of deja vu in Hughes' case, because like Hughes, Hayden too was dropped very early in his career, so in sense he can probably related with Hughes' disappointment.

Yeah, Hayden was dropped too early in his care...

What?!

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Yeah, Hayden was dropped too early in his care...

What?!
    I think pup was saying Hayden was dropped early in his career too (like Hughes was) rather than too early in his career.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I think pup was saying Hayden was dropped early in his career too (like Hughes was) rather than too early in his career.
    Depends on what you call dropped, really. He had his finger broken by Donald in his first Test in SA (ouch) and then wasn't sighted again for a couple of years before he came back against the WI. Scored a ton then was ousted when Aus moved Elliott up from 3 (from memory, he had a quiet series against SA and the perception was that he'd struggle against the swinging ball in England......haha).

So, the biggest problem for Hayden wasn't being dropped as much as not getting a go in the first place.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 12-08-2009 at 05:45 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    FTR, Hughes still has as many tons in this series as all of England apart from Strauss
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Depends on what you call dropped, really. He had his finger broken by Donald in his first Test in SA (ouch) and then wasn't sighted again for a couple of years before he came back against the WI. Scored a ton then was ousted when Aus moved Elliott up from 3 (from memory, he had a quiet series against SA and the perception was that he'd struggle against the swinging ball in England......haha).

So, the biggest problem for Hayden wasn't being dropped as much as not getting a go in the first place.
    Only played those early Tests as a stand-in. Taylor was injured on his debut in '93/94 where he got his finger broken; he came in for Elliott after he got some sort of injury in '96/97, then lost his place not immediately Elliott came back, but after the eight-batsmen-three-bowler strategy was abandoned, which also involved Elliott going back to open with Taylor.

First time Hayden played as a genuine first-choice was in 1999/2000. Hughes is different.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    the perception was that he'd struggle against the swinging ball in England......haha.
    Test average of 34.50 in England tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Test average of 34.50 in England tbf.
    Think he was referring to Elliott.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Think he was referring to Elliott.
    I think he was referring to Hayden.

TC - please settle this before it gets ugly

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Only played those early Tests as a stand-in. Taylor was injured on his debut in '93/94 where he got his finger broken; he came in for Elliott after he got some sort of injury in '96/97, then lost his place not immediately Elliott came back, but after the eight-batsmen-three-bowler strategy was abandoned, which also involved Elliott going back to open with Taylor.

First time Hayden played as a genuine first-choice was in 1999/2000. Hughes is different.
    Yeah true, sorta what I was saying - was just not given much of a go in the first place, hence 'Give Matt a bat'.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    I think he was referring to Hayden.

TC - please settle this before it gets ugly
    Was referring to Haydos. And I was only laughing about it because all of the Hayden boosters in the 90's said he'd dominate anywhere. The perceptions about him struggling there which were around in the 90's turned out to be pretty much true.

As an aside, have always disputed the problem with Haydos in England was entirely technical. As I've said before, he was plenty successful against top attacks in Shield cricket when the 'Gabba was a seaming and swinging minefield in the 90's. It's part of the reason why Kasper/Bichel weren't given a decent go in Tests; was perceived they'd struggle away from such bowler-friendly conditions at home. I don't think Hayden was held back by people worried he'd struggle against swing but that it was perceived he was over-rated in general and that Taylor and Slater were better. How Elliott managed to get a go at all, with the ban on Victorian batsman representing Australia, somewhat resembles a miracle.

U19 Vice-Captain
    If I were a betting man, I would put my money on reckon Phil Hughes getting 0 centuries.

a big fat 0 lololol
    Demon fast bowler

Quote Originally Posted by James_W View Post
    If I were a betting man, I would put my money on reckon Phil Hughes getting 0 centuries.
    Bah, should have called it at the start of the series like me. Now then, where's my prize for predicting correctly?

Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1523242526 LastLast

Thread Information