• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Many Centuries Will Phil Hughes Score?

pup11

International Coach
So what do we do with Hughes now, should he be picked as the opening batsman in case Watto gets injured or struggles at the opening slot, or should someone like Jaques or Rogers get a chance instead of him.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Hayden still "heavy hearted" over Hughes dropping.

Haydos has been quite amusing on all this, you'd think Hughes had been replaced by Chris Martin. I think he's horrified a 'proper opener' isn't playing. :)

pup11

International Coach
Hayden still "heavy hearted" over Hughes dropping.

Haydos has been quite amusing on all this, you'd think Hughes had been replaced by Chris Martin. I think he's horrified a 'proper opener' isn't playing. :)
Nah... Hayden is just disappointed that Hughesy got dropped this early, and though Watto is doing fine as opener, but still everyone just felt that the Australian think-tank were too harsh on Hughes, and just wanted Hughes out of the side, irrespective of whom they replaced him with.

I think Hayden also might be having a sense of deja vu in Hughes' case, because like Hughes, Hayden too was dropped very early in his career, so in sense he can probably related with Hughes' disappointment.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think pup was saying Hayden was dropped early in his career too (like Hughes was) rather than too early in his career.
Depends on what you call dropped, really. He had his finger broken by Donald in his first Test in SA (ouch) and then wasn't sighted again for a couple of years before he came back against the WI. Scored a ton then was ousted when Aus moved Elliott up from 3 (from memory, he had a quiet series against SA and the perception was that he'd struggle against the swinging ball in England......haha).

So, the biggest problem for Hayden wasn't being dropped as much as not getting a go in the first place.

Last edited:

Burgey

FTR, Hughes still has as many tons in this series as all of England apart from Strauss :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Depends on what you call dropped, really. He had his finger broken by Donald in his first Test in SA (ouch) and then wasn't sighted again for a couple of years before he came back against the WI. Scored a ton then was ousted when Aus moved Elliott up from 3 (from memory, he had a quiet series against SA and the perception was that he'd struggle against the swinging ball in England......haha).

So, the biggest problem for Hayden wasn't being dropped as much as not getting a go in the first place.
Only played those early Tests as a stand-in. Taylor was injured on his debut in '93/94 where he got his finger broken; he came in for Elliott after he got some sort of injury in '96/97, then lost his place not immediately Elliott came back, but after the eight-batsmen-three-bowler strategy was abandoned, which also involved Elliott going back to open with Taylor.

First time Hayden played as a genuine first-choice was in 1999/2000. Hughes is different.

Top_Cat

Only played those early Tests as a stand-in. Taylor was injured on his debut in '93/94 where he got his finger broken; he came in for Elliott after he got some sort of injury in '96/97, then lost his place not immediately Elliott came back, but after the eight-batsmen-three-bowler strategy was abandoned, which also involved Elliott going back to open with Taylor.

First time Hayden played as a genuine first-choice was in 1999/2000. Hughes is different.
Yeah true, sorta what I was saying - was just not given much of a go in the first place, hence 'Give Matt a bat'.

I think he was referring to Hayden.

TC - please settle this before it gets ugly
Was referring to Haydos. And I was only laughing about it because all of the Hayden boosters in the 90's said he'd dominate anywhere. The perceptions about him struggling there which were around in the 90's turned out to be pretty much true.

As an aside, have always disputed the problem with Haydos in England was entirely technical. As I've said before, he was plenty successful against top attacks in Shield cricket when the 'Gabba was a seaming and swinging minefield in the 90's. It's part of the reason why Kasper/Bichel weren't given a decent go in Tests; was perceived they'd struggle away from such bowler-friendly conditions at home. I don't think Hayden was held back by people worried he'd struggle against swing but that it was perceived he was over-rated in general and that Taylor and Slater were better. How Elliott managed to get a go at all, with the ban on Victorian batsman representing Australia, somewhat resembles a miracle.

Burgey

Bah, should have called it at the start of the series like me. Now then, where's my prize for predicting correctly?
Still think that at the start of the series, if Australia were told Hughes would score one less hundred than the entire England side, they'd have been pretty happy.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Still think that at the start of the series, if Australia were told Hughes would score one less hundred than the entire England side, they'd have been pretty happy.
The entire England side has now pulled into a magnificent and unassailable 2-0 lead over the dropped Hughes

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha that's awesome. Hope Sachin helps the kid out. His best advice will probably be about the mental aspect of the game anyway.