• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Many Centuries Will Phil Hughes Score?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Gotta feel for Hughesy with even Justin Langer now getting on the bandwagon to be his replacement if necessary. Came into the tour with some real backing from the Australian management and now he has a fair bit of pressure on him to perform.
Seems like a large amount of pressure coming on him is from the press. Justin Langer (who has consistently been one of Hughes's biggest supporters) makes a joke, and it's all over the papers making out that he wants to return!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If he's actually dropped, not only do Channel 7's Sunday Night show look ****ing stupid for calling him the next Don Bradman (as I complained on this board earlier)... but some of the posts in this thread become pretty embarrassing too.

Feel for the bloke, should have never had such ridiculous pressure put on him.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
If he's actually dropped, not only do Channel 7's Sunday Night show look ****ing stupid for calling him the next Don Bradman (as I complained on this board earlier)... but some of the posts in this thread become pretty embarrassing too.

Feel for the bloke, should have never had such ridiculous pressure put on him.
Media people cream in their pants, the moment they see such a bright talent, and that's pretty much what's happened here, so nothing new with that.

I have found Hughesy to come across a very mature bloke for his age, so I don't think all the pressure phased him that much, and he showed that in the way he batted in South Africa, and handled himself after the disappointing first two tests, but not sure how he would take getting dropped like this.

Its been a pretty quick fall from grace for him, and it goes without saying the Aussie selectors and Ponting have let him down here, it was a situation where they should have backed him, but hopefully he would come back stronger from this.

Bradman was dropped after one test.

Therefore Hughes 5x > Bradman :ph34r:
Indeed...:ph34r:

Pigeon

Banned
Media people cream in their pants, the moment they see such a bright talent, and that's pretty much what's happened here, so nothing new with that.

I have found Hughesy to come across a very mature bloke for his age, so I don't think all the pressure phased him that much, and he showed that in the way he batted in South Africa, and handled himself after the disappointing first two tests, but not sure how he would take getting dropped like this.

Its been a pretty quick fall from grace for him, and it goes without saying the Aussie selectors and Ponting have let him down here, it was a situation where they should have backed him, but hopefully he would come back stronger from this.

Indeed...:ph34r:
TBF to Hughes, the chap should never have been near test class with such glaring technical issues. Unless he was a subcontinent batsman that is.

Chubb

International Regular
Probably none now... fell into the trap good and proper. I honestly thought England's attack was nowhere near as good as South Africa's, and he did so well in English conditions for Middlesex, albeit against weaker attacks. It wasn't a terrible extrapolation from that base to expect him to do well.

Last edited:

Pigeon

Banned
Just so funny. Although I wish he was still in the side because I really couldnt see him scoring a run this series...

If he looks like he is set just bounce him some more... easy...
Yeah, but then not only Hughes, but even Hussey is struggling for that matter. Oh and Johnson. Hughes had all of 2 bad test matches.

pup11

International Coach
TBF to Hughes, the chap should never have been near test class with such glaring technical issues. Unless he was a subcontinent batsman that is.
Mate he is just 20 years old, and I have no doubt his game would improve with time, he is unorthdox but he hardly has glaring technical glitches, he has just struggled against some very discplined and well planned bowling from English bowlers, but its hardly fair enough to write him off after just three bad knocks.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Look back at the first few posts in this thread makes me so happy too.
Yeah have just been enjoying them myself. Really, really funny to see in glorious widescreen technicolour hindsight.

And now that Watson has secured his place as ridiculous makeshift opener, and unless The Batsman Formerly Known As Mr Cricket gets the chop, there'll be no more Phil Hughes this series.

pup11

International Coach
... and now Sky Sports are saying that Hughes was spotted in a pub at 3am this morning....

:beer: :ban:
Well he could just have been having some cranberry juice or something...:ph34r:

But seriously poor form from Hughesy this (that's if this is true), its understandable that he is disappointed after being axed from the side, but still this is not the end of the world, he could be back in the team as early as the next test.