• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Many Centuries Will Phil Hughes Score?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You say that like it should mean something other than you've argued it hundreds of times before. :p
It means at worst that people should realise what my opinion is of a batsman who coincidentally started scoring much heavier at the exact point that was the start of the 2001/02 season - of which funnily enough there were about 7 or 8 of.
Credit where it's due, eh? Langer's scoring arc for a lot of his career was between 3rd man and point with the occasional pull if he was really feeling good. Since opening, we saw flashing cover drives, slog sweeps and, in general, just a faster scoring rate. Pitches have been flatter, sure, but I don't buy that the turn-around in his numbers was totally down to that. Certainly don't subscribe to the argument that we saw a downturn in bowling quality, either but that's my personal opinion.
I know - I remember that you've argued that before, several times, as has Kev Goughy. As for Langer and his cover-drive, well maybe it was just against England, but I remember him excelling at that shot when presented with the opportunity at three in 1998/99 every bit as much as he did from The Oval 2001/02 onwards. He was always a good puller and cutter, as WA'ns tend to be. As for the slogged-sweeps, well, I pretty much never saw him bat against quality spin in his stint at three, and he retained the weakness against it for most of his career, as so many WA'ns do as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Do you seriously think Langer didn't change his style throughout his career?

He was nuggety and a nurdler for most of his life at 3. It the last 3 or so years of his Test Career while opening he changed his ways and looked to score more, especially early on in his innings, his game got better as his confidence did.
Langer's game immediately changed the moment he got the opening slot (which he got by pure chance). And it wouldn't have been able to but for the flattening-out of pitches and decline in bowling quality - his previous style had worked for a reason.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not in the age of flat decks and popgun bowling attacks it isn't, as I've argued hundreds of times before.

Langer was no better an opener than a three AFAIC - though he was a much quicker scorer. The change was in decks and attacks, not an upping of his own game.
You're right, Langer didn't improve at all over his career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, I imagine he improved a decent bit between 1992/93 and 1998/99. Maybe he didn't though.

vicky

School Boy/Girl Captain
Loathe as I am to drag the thread back on topic...

Does anyone know how Hughes was dismissed in the second innings? Was it another short ball at the body?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loathe as I am to drag the thread back on topic...

Does anyone know how Hughes was dismissed in the second innings? Was it another short ball at the body?
Caught Fatigue bowled Exhaustion. Hadn't batted that long in a while.

tooextracool

International Coach
Gotta feel for Hughesy with even Justin Langer now getting on the bandwagon to be his replacement if necessary. Came into the tour with some real backing from the Australian management and now he has a fair bit of pressure on him to perform.

vicky

School Boy/Girl Captain
One of Crampy's pics shows it pretty clearly.
Thought it might be him... wasn't 100% sure though...

hmm still looks like he's getting himself in an awkward position to the short ball doesn't it... although obviously you can't take away much from a single still frame...

Top_Cat

Gotta feel for Hughesy with even Justin Langer now getting on the bandwagon to be his replacement if necessary. Came into the tour with some real backing from the Australian management and now he has a fair bit of pressure on him to perform.
Wellll, yes and no. I mean, it's hard to expect a 20-year-old opener with an unorthodox technique to perform day-in day-out, especially since openers have more ups and downs than other batters. I reckon the Aus selectors intended to pick him as a bit of an investment pick until he did so well in SA so he demanded selection for this tour. That said, dunno who they would have picked had he struggled in SA; Chris Rogers, like all other Victorian batsmen seems to have his cards marked (right on). Point is, I guess, the selectors would probably have allowed for his run of low-ish scores to happen though the lack of a reserve opener makes me wonder.....

Has potential in spades so it's pretty likely he'll work out what sort of player he wants to be and start smashing them around again.

tooextracool

International Coach
Perhaps so and he looks a decent player whenever there isnt a short ball directed at him. Needs to stop jumping around IMO, hes short and needs to take advantage of that.

Out of curiousity, what happened to Shaun Marsh?

Top_Cat

Perhaps so and he looks a decent player whenever there isnt a short ball directed at him. Needs to stop jumping around IMO, hes short and needs to take advantage of that.

Out of curiousity, what happened to Shaun Marsh?
Barely played any FC cricket last season and when he did, was pretty average. By contrast, in a good year for bowlers, Hughes averaged in the 60's (I think; whatever, scored millions).

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah, made some immense knocks on some real minefields. The twin hundreds (well one was a 98) on a Hobart deck that nobody else got past 50 on spring to mind.

pup11

International Coach
Wellll, yes and no. I mean, it's hard to expect a 20-year-old opener with an unorthodox technique to perform day-in day-out, especially since openers have more ups and downs than other batters. I reckon the Aus selectors intended to pick him as a bit of an investment pick until he did so well in SA so he demanded selection for this tour. That said, dunno who they would have picked had he struggled in SA; Chris Rogers, like all other Victorian batsmen seems to have his cards marked (right on). Point is, I guess, the selectors would probably have allowed for his run of low-ish scores to happen though the lack of a reserve opener makes me wonder.....

Has potential in spades so it's pretty likely he'll work out what sort of player he wants to be and start smashing them around again.
I think Phil Jaques or Rogers would have come into the frame had Hughes struggled in SA, but still I think he would have made it into the Ashes squad as the back-up opener, he is one of the best selections the selectors have made in recent times, so its important that patience is persisted with him, because he is without doubt a very special talent.