• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Many Centuries Will Phil Hughes Score?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Watson did have a stint at the top in the Sheffield Shield a couple of summers ago when he hoped to break into the Test team after Justin Langer's retirement, but the experiment ended before Christmas. "That was nice and successful," he said while smiling.
Love Watto.

Seriously though, would be a daft move and seems very unlikely.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha.

I mean, of course he's going to say anything to get back in the Test side. Christ, if Haddin was injured, I'm sure Watto would claim he could fill the breach. The question is whether he'd actually be able to do it. Anyone with a decent technique at FC level should be able to bat anywhere to a degree but throwing him as an opener in Tests, don't think it's a realistic option.

Can imagine Hughes would be pretty miffed at the suggestion after essentially two ordinary Tests when he's struggled a bit, sure, but hardly looked out of his depth.

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
Before we talk about Hughes' centuries, he needs to work on his on-side play.

I don't think Freddie & Anderson are going to let him free his arms and he's going to face the chin music.

He has to learn to play the likes of Freddie, Harmy & Jimmy or else we'll see the same for the rest of series.IMO.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha.

I mean, of course he's going to say anything to get back in the Test side. Christ, if Haddin was injured, I'm sure Watto would claim he could fill the breach. The question is whether he'd actually be able to do it. Anyone with a decent technique at FC level should be able to bat anywhere to a degree but throwing him as an opener in Tests, don't think it's a realistic option.

Can imagine Hughes would be pretty miffed at the suggestion after essentially two ordinary Tests when he's struggled a bit, sure, but hardly looked out of his depth.
It's not as if he's saying they should drop Hughes, someone's asked him if he can open he's hardly going to say no. :p

pskov

International 12th Man
I agree. Putting Hussey back up to open where he has a lot of experience doing so, a lot in England too, and then calling his brother up from county cricket would be the better option I reckon.

Not that they should be thinking about dropping Hughes at all. If he fails to reach fifty in the next two tests then there would be a case for him to be dropped for the fifth, but certainly not now.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not as if he's saying they should drop Hughes, someone's asked him if he can open he's hardly going to say no. :p
Well, there's a way to say it without getting on the nerves of the guy already there. I saw no mention in the article of "Yeah I reckon I could open and I'd kill for a shot at it but Hughes is there and I'm hoping he continues to do well because he's a great talent, awesome guy, can suck a golfball through a hose, blah blah." Credit where due, though, he mentioned Midge and good on him for supporting him.

pup11

International Coach
Agree with T_C said, as much as I like Watto, its pretty poor form on his part to add pressure on a young bloke like Hughes, he has basically had three bad outings and already the tongues have started to wag.

I think the Aussie selectors have faith the ability of both Hughes and Katich, and that's probably the reason that they didn't think it was necessary to have a back-up opener, because they probably were/are willing to persist with both Hughes and Katich right through this series.

I can understand Watto's frustration in the current scenario, but he needs to stop trying to be the jack of all trades, he was picked in the squad as a middle order batsman, and had his body not betrayed him, he might have even played in the first two tests as a middle order batsman, but that was not be, and now he would just have to patiently wait for his chance to come.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with T_C said, as much as I like Watto, its pretty poor form on his part to add pressure on a young bloke like Hughes, he has basically had three bad outings and already the tongues have started to wag.

I think the Aussie selectors have faith the ability of both Hughes and Katich, and that's probably the reason that they didn't think it was necessary to have a back-up opener, because they probably were/are willing to persist with both Hughes and Katich right through this series.

I can understand Watto's frustration in the current scenario, but he needs to stop trying to be the jack of all trades, he was picked in the squad as a middle order batsman, and had his body not betrayed him, he might have even played in the first two tests as a middle order batsman, but that was not be, and now he would just have to patiently wait for his chance to come.
Let's be fair to Watto here, it was Tim Nielsen who started all this comment, I heard him in an interview the day after the test finished waffling on about there being no problem if they needed a replacement opener because Watson could cover all positions 1-6 if necessary.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There would be.

It would be a ****ty case, however.
Hussey > Watson as an opener. Under any circumstance. The idea of Watson replacing Hughes is, as I said, a stupid one, but if it were to happen it'd make more sense for Hussey to go and open than otherwise.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Hussey > Watson as an opener. Under any circumstance. The idea of Watson replacing Hughes is, as I said, a stupid one, but if it were to happen it'd make more sense for Hussey to go and open than otherwise.
Not sure why you're directing this at me, I was advocating Rogers get the call up (IF HUGHES WERE DROPPED, before someone jumps me. I'm a huge Hughes fan, remember?). Just because I'm a huge Watson fan doesn't mean I automatically want him opening.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Also I don't think it's so straightfoward as to suggest that an out of sorts Hussey should be made to open because of previous success in that position when he was in form.