• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you think Michael Hussey will go?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I reckon he'll make a ton in one of the tests, but won't set the world on fire. Average somewhere in the 40s IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think it's near-impossible to predict how he'll go. Hussey has made a career out of lengthy purple patches and lengthy d-i-r-e trots.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I reckon he'll make a ton in one of the tests, but won't set the world on fire. Average somewhere in the 40s IMO.
I think it's near-impossible to predict how he'll go. Hussey has made a career out of lengthy purple patches and lengthy d-i-r-e trots.
I agree with both these posts. I would like to see him make runs, and if he doesn't, I will be calling for his head, and I'm sure a lot of aussie supporters and possibly selectors will run out of patience.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Has a great county record, i think he might find good form again about half way through the series.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
English conditions might give Hussey the chance to get back to really playing the ball late and being patient. Understandably, as he's lost form he seems to have gone harder and harder at the ball, wanting to feel it hit his bat.

I think he's got the technique to do well in English conditions. The interesting one for me will be Clarke - to see how his technical changes hold up vs the moving ball (assuming England get their hands on some mints, that is :ph34r:).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let's hope for Clarke's sake they do - wouldn't want him to miss-out on the chance to demonstrate any new-found capability against swing, would we?

As for Hussey's county record, well, his state record ain't exactly woeful either is it?

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh:

He's had 1 lengthy purple patch....and 1 lengthy poor trot. That is his rather short career so far.

It's funny how players are judged against good swing bowling too...I think we'd find most will struggle, otherwise it wouldn't be 'good' swing bowling, it would be '****' swing bowling.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
It could go either way, given his horrific recent form and his previous record against England. Given the way things are, though, he is probably more likely to be sub-par, although probably not as dire as he was in SA - England don't have a bowler in Steyn's class.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh:

He's had 1 lengthy purple patch....and 1 lengthy poor trot. That is his rather short career so far.
At international level that's all there's been so far, but he'd been doing that at domestic level for the best part of a decade beforehand.
It's funny how players are judged against good swing bowling too...I think we'd find most will struggle, otherwise it wouldn't be 'good' swing bowling, it would be '****' swing bowling.
Ind33d.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
He'll probably fail and a bunch of idiots will say that he can't combat bowler-friendly conditions and they'll convienently ignore the fact that he went into the series in horrid form. Despite all of this, he has one of the best batting techniques in world cricket.

morgieb

Probs average mid-30's. He hasn't been playing well, but I still have faith in him.

Uppercut

His bad run of form a little overstated for me. Got a few poor decisions against SA and NZ, and never looked in great nick (although it's conveniently forgotten that he never really does, even when he was churning out the runs).

I expect him to do fairly well in England.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think his knock in the Lions game is more likely to be representative myself TBH. Played beautifully. Can't believe we're not going to see something along those lines on at least a couple of occasions in the Tests.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Think he was unfortunate to be one of only three batsmen, along with Clarke and North, newly arrived at the crease when England were having their best period with the ball. Not much of an excuse in the bigger picture, but Haddin for instance probably didn't face any bowling as good as what Hussey faced, and if Mike could have lasted a bit longer he could have cashed in as well.

Not saying it's disappointing from him, but don't think we should read too much into him being the 'only failure'

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm backing Hussey to make runs. He knows the English conditions well and he has such a good technique that he can afford to be out of nick and still be able to grind out runs. I love watching him bat and if it was against any other Test side, I'd want him to score a load of runs.