• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's going to play all five Tests?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Right CWers, here's your chance to test your predictive powers. On both sides, who do we reckon will keep fit well enough (and avoid freak accidents, which obviously are 100% impossible to predict and thus can throw out any prediction regardless of calibre) and perform well enough to last the full course?

Out of these near-certain starters, I'd reckon:
Andrew Strauss, Alastair Cook, Kevin Pietersen, Paul Collingwood, Andrew Flintoff, Matthew Prior, Graeme Swann, James Anderson, Phil Hughes, Simon Katich, Ricky Ponting, Michael Hussey, Michael Clarke, Bradley Haddin, Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle.

Anyone aside from the above, you'd be going some to think they were likely to play all five... but we know those on CW do sometimes like to do that.

Myself, I reckon Strauss, Pietersen, Hughes, Ponting, Clarke, M Hussey, Haddin and Siddle are very high likelihoods. Wouldn't commit to anyone else but that's not to say I think the above are going to be the only ones.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Johnson should be the first name on the team sheet at the moment, it's just a question of how well his body stands up to all the bowling he's been doing. There's been nothing in his career so far to suggest that it won't, i'd say he's more likely to stay fit for all five than Siddle.

I reckon Marcus North will play every test. McDonald can't bat six and Clarke can't be a fifth bowler.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Strauss, Cook, Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior, Swann, Anderson, Broad.

Hughes, Katich, Clarke, Hussey, North, Haddin, Hauritz, Hilfenhaus.

andmark

International Captain
Australia: Ponting, Clark, M Hussey, Haddin

England: Flintoff (he doesn't deserve it), Pietersen, Strauss, Colingwood

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pietersen, Strauss, Flintoff, Broad

Anderson should be a cert but sadly isn't

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Strauss, Cook, Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior, Swann, Anderson, Broad.

Hughes, Katich, Clarke, Hussey, North, Haddin, Hauritz, Hilfenhaus.
That's remarkable faith in the ability to perform of Prior, Swann, Anderson, Broad, Hauritz and Hilfenhaus.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Johnson should be the first name on the team sheet at the moment, it's just a question of how well his body stands up to all the bowling he's been doing. There's been nothing in his career so far to suggest that it won't, i'd say he's more likely to stay fit for all five than Siddle.
You reckon? I'd not be betting against Johnson to stay fit all summer certainly (though as you can see I won't be betting on it either) but I think out of his and Siddle's fitness record the Victorian's is eminently better of late.

That said, both have had their troubles a while back.
I reckon Marcus North will play every test. McDonald can't bat six and Clarke can't be a fifth bowler.
That he'll start isn't an unreasonable assumption; how he'll go is frankly anyone's guess; that he'll stay in the side all series if he doesn't perform well from the off is a long-shot.

Uppercut

You reckon? I'd not be betting against Johnson to stay fit all summer certainly (though as you can see I won't be betting on it either) but I think out of his and Siddle's fitness record the Victorian's is eminently better of late.

That said, both have had their troubles a while back.

That he'll start isn't an unreasonable assumption; how he'll go is frankly anyone's guess; that he'll stay in the side all series if he doesn't perform well from the off is a long-shot.
Siddle has a hot spot in his foot currently, hence they won't play him for the ODIs. Could very well come to the fore in the Ashes.

Mitchell Johnson hasn't actually missed a test since coming into the side, and is still going strong in the ODIs. That's pretty incredible for someone who bowls at his pace.

North's not a straightforward prediction, but it's what i think will happen. I don't see Watson proving his fitness on time for the Ashes, let alone that he deserves to bat six. Symonds is out of the loop and McDonald can't bat. North will be the only real option, and i expect him to do well because he's a quality player.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Siddle has a hot spot in his foot currently, hence they won't play him for the ODIs. Could very well come to the fore in the Ashes.
Ah, I see. Hadn't heard that. Would be far less confident of him playing all five in that case.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not even convinced Hauritz and Hilfenhaus will play one Test between them.
Lol, me neither. I was just trying to pick two bowlers in my list for Australia, and found it very hard! I was working on the assumption that Johnson's luck is going to run out at some point this summer, and then trying to pick two bowlers. I don't think I even have a clue which four bowlers are going to start the first match at this moment in time.

inbox24

International Debutant
Katich, Hughes, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Haddin, Siddle, Johnson

Strauss, Cook, Pietersen, Collingwood, Prior, Flintoff, Anderson, Broad

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Suprised Anderson has been backed to play all 5.

He's been bombed out twice this winter for no reason whatsoever.

He should play all 5, but will probably be dropped after Harmison skittles some prank county batting line up in a live Sky one-dayer.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Suprised Anderson has been backed to play all 5.

He's been bombed out twice this winter for no reason whatsoever.

He should play all 5, but will probably be dropped after Harmison skittles some prank county batting line up in a live Sky one-dayer.
My thoughts exactly

Loving the way "prank" is becoming a common way to refer to crap players round here btw.

Uppercut

I know, it's fantastic. I can just see myself desperately telling my future grandchildren that i started it and them looking at me dubiously.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I know, it's fantastic. I can just see myself desperately telling my future grandchildren that i started it and them looking at me dubiously.
I've tried to introduce it on a rugby league forum I post at.

The only reaction it's got is people saying it has replaced "dire" in my vocabulary, but it's actually quite different to "dire" IMO.