• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's going to win?

Who's going to win the 2009 Ashes?

• Total voters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
:laugh:

It's nice that they reply though. Didn't Goughy or someone send one querying Pattinson's selection last year?
Yeah, have mailed them with all sorts of bollocks since reading his post back then, they always reply. They even once said "we don't think Hick will get a recall but you never know"

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
hope the aussies win or we need weights to hold england down with their puffed up heads.there will be nothing but "we are the champions" playing in their heads for 2 more years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aside from the fact 2005 proves precisely nothing of what you implied... one example never shows that much anyway.

stumpski

International Captain
hope the aussies win or we need weights to hold england down with their puffed up heads.there will be nothing but "we are the champions" playing in their heads for 2 more years.

Yes, because Australians like to keep quiet about it when they win something. 8-)

Unlike some of you I remember the 1985 series win as well (and the 1977 come to that, I'll leave 'Botham's Ashes' out of it) and there wasn't anything like the same level of celebration. Even in 1981 it was all about ITB, there was certainly no open top bus. In 2005 it was down the the fact that Australia head held the urn for 16 years, longer than the playing career of the players on both sides. Finally, the tide had turned.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, because Australians like to keep quiet about it when they win something. 8-)

Unlike some of you I remember the 1985 series win as well (and the 1977 come to that, I'll leave 'Botham's Ashes' out of it) and there wasn't anything like the same level of celebration. Even in 1981 it was all about ITB, there was certainly no open top bus. In 2005 it was down the the fact that Australia head held the urn for 16 years, longer than the playing career of the players on both sides. Finally, the tide had turned.
Haha yeah. Shame it emphatically turned straight back again 18 months later.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
a true Englishman can't see anything other than a five-nil win for Strauss and co

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed - wonder how many people are aware of the reaction when Australia won in 1989? (Their first victory in England since 1975 and their first convincing one since 1948.)
And what's more, England had emerged victorious in a series which was only the most exciting of all-time, that's all. If you can't celebrate that, you can't celebrate anything.

I'm increasingly leaning towards the idea that those who bang on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about how England celebrated 2005 were simply unspeakably bitter seeing it unfold and were waiting for some sort of excuse to criticise it.

Last edited: