Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Who's going to win the 2009 Ashes?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Australia

64 74.42%
  • England

16 18.60%
  • Tie (Australia retains the Ashes)

2 2.33%
  • I just want my kids back

4 4.65%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's going to win?

Evil Scotsman
    3-1 Australia.

There was a lot of optimistic nonsense floating around the English press when the Aussies were struggling in India. What pretty much every person who gloated in the Aussie's suffering didn't seem to pick up on was that the Australian batting hadn't been the problem.

I reckon James Anderson might have a great series for England, I'd expect Flintoff to be good if fit and I reckon Pietersen will have another 50+ series, but I've no confidence in the England attack in general to be able to limit Australia to sub 350 scores.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    3-1 Australia.

There was a lot of optimistic nonsense floating around the English press when the Aussies were struggling in India. What pretty much every person who gloated in the Aussie's suffering didn't seem to pick up on was that the Australian batting hadn't been the problem.

I reckon James Anderson might have a great series for England, I'd expect Flintoff to be good if fit and I reckon Pietersen will have another 50+ series, but I've no confidence in the England attack in general to be able to limit Australia to sub 350 scores.
    Depends on the pitches. England's bowling is still their stronger suit for my money, especially when they play Flintoff at 6. In English conditions you'd be a fool to underestimate an Anderson-Broad-Flintoff-Swann attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Inferiority View Post
    Had they played Prince instead of McKenzie, they probably would have won the first test without a doubt but probably not the second test. SA lost the series rather than Australia winning it.
    In no way have you taken consideration of the flow of the first test. Dropped catches cost SA a chance in the match, nobody was going to make alot of runs on that wicket. Given a life, Ponting went on a dominated the attack and a lack of information on North was also a big advantage. Regardless of who opened: SA would have been bowled out for under 250 in their first innings and would have been outrageous odds to win the match from their position, given we made 466 in the first innings.

Drunk on dead rubber fumes it would seem?

4-1 to Australia, like in the good old days.
    LEARN SOMETHING NEW ABOUT AFRICA TODAY

They scored a single, declared and still won by an innings

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Inferiority View Post
    Had they played Prince instead of McKenzie, they probably would have won the first test without a doubt but probably not the second test.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Went for the tie - England to level the series at the Oval when it doesn't matter.

There hasn't been a tied series since 1972, must be about due.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Shri's Avatar
    Looking forward to the contest between MJ and KP. My money is on Australia and I have a feeling Hughes might play a big role in the inevitable Oz win.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Went for the tie - England to level the series at the Oval when it doesn't matter.

There hasn't been a tied series since 1972, must be about due.
    Or, alternatively, they might be a thing of the past.

Remember, there were 4 in a decade finishing with said '72 series.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

A drawn series would be so bittersweet - at the end of the day it would actually be a good result, but dammit I want those Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by Axl Rose
    The internet is a big garbage can

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

When there's a trophy at stake in a Test series, a draw is almost - almost - as bad as a loss for the non-holding team.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    5-0 Aus weather permitting. If there is a way to have a more shambolic series than in 06/07, England will find it.

Although I'd not go so far as to suggest five-nil was impossible, not at all, Australia of '09 should be considerably, considerably weaker than Australia of '06/07.

And whether England will be bad enough to let batsmen like Andrew Symonds and bowlers like the Brett Lee of '06/07 do as well as they did is another question. I really would hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    When there's a trophy at stake in a Test series, a draw is almost - almost - as bad as a loss for the non-holding team.
    Well yeah, but a draw would probably be a sign that we had played okay

Although I'd prefer OK to utterly terrible, he who said "in a two-horse race, a close second is last" wasn't far from the truth.

Yep, true

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information