• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's going to win?

Who's going to win the 2009 Ashes?

• Total voters

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
5-0 Aus weather permitting. If there is a way to have a more shambolic series than in 06/07, England will find it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Although I'd not go so far as to suggest five-nil was impossible, not at all, Australia of '09 should be considerably, considerably weaker than Australia of '06/07.

And whether England will be bad enough to let batsmen like Andrew Symonds and bowlers like the Brett Lee of '06/07 do as well as they did is another question. I really would hope not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Although I'd prefer OK to utterly terrible, he who said "in a two-horse race, a close second is last" wasn't far from the truth.

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
Australia 2-1 with 1 rained-off draw and 1 genuine draw (probably too late a declaration by Strauss. Ha ha).

Australia have a slightly better batting AND bowling line-up. Mitchell Johnson is 1 of the best bowlers in the world at the moment and we don't have anyone anywhere near as dangerous. An average of 28 on the wickets of nowadays isn't bad at all.

Siddle isn't too bad either, though he is only 7 tests into his career.

Hopefully Jimmy Anderson gets some luck. He's bowled his ass off over the last 15 tests and deserves a better record than 55 wickets @ 31 in that period (around 60 wickets @ 28.5 would be fairer).

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Am glad he's brought this to light tbh, will take note to never take another one SKD's posts seriously again.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
agreed.

BTW, there is always some idiot on these polls.

Superkingdave voted, 'I want my kids back'
Maybe he cares more about the respective locations of him and his children (or possibly him and his young goats) than the result of the Ashes.

Pheobe

Banned
Australia easily. Because the frontline bowlers for England Anderson and Broad averages 35 and 40 respectively, which puts them as one of the worst new ball pairs going around. Onions is an unknown quantity and is not expected to perform far better than his FC average of 32. Flintoff is past his peak and anyway averages in the 30s. The only possible threat is from Graeme Swann.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Averages tell you how good a player has been over their whole career. If you looked over the last 12 months I am pretty sure Anderson's average would drop, I cbf to look this up, why am I even wasting my time on a tool like you?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well Anderson could have a good Test and skittle Australia to about 200 in one match.

In another Strauss or Pietersen could score big.

And then a draw or two.

Eng 2-1

Not impossible, though anything more than that is unlikely. :ph34r: