• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes vs other cricket

What would you prefer?

• Total voters

Matt79

Global Moderator
For Australian and English fans - if you had to choose between having Ashes contests only or all other cricket without any Ashes, which would you choose?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
For Australian and English fans - if you had to choose between having Ashes contests only or all other cricket without any Ashes, which would you choose?
The Ashes for me is what it's all about, even though England almost always lose. I'm like a moth to a horrible cricketing flame.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Would think an international sport with only two contestants (rugby league, don't slink out of the room while I'm talking...) would be rather farcical, so voted all others.

Mind, I should maybe be taken as neutral since I didn't grow up with English cricket.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I think this question has stupid options. I would prefer neither of the 4 options. Ashes have been one sided barring the 2005 series for ages. Australia v another team were boring contests till not that long ago. England v another team is still interesting as it is good contests. So I would vote England - other cricket but there is so much cricket better than the four options - India-Sri Lanka, South Africa-England for two.

Last edited:

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm afraid you havent got the correct option for me. I would vote for England and this is a stupid question. Yes I prefer the Ashes but I wouldnt want to play them all the time and nobody else! How it is now will do just fine thanks!

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
India-Australia or South Africa-Australia.

Would rather see some good cricket than watch England get smashed for the umpteenth time.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Congratulations to the following people on their illiteracy... tbh that's why I put in the fifth option, because I've no doubt this will seem a stupid question to neutral parties. To be fair however, so far the Aussie vote is 1-1 and the English vote is 3-1, with the 1 being a non-Englishman who didn't read the question properly.

Would think an international sport with only two contestants (rugby league, don't slink out of the room while I'm talking...) would be rather farcical, so voted all others.

Mind, I should maybe be taken as neutral since I didn't grow up with English cricket.
I think this question has stupid options. I would prefer neither of the 4 options. Ashes have been one sided barring the 2005 series for ages. Australia v another team were boring contests till not that long ago. England v another team is still interesting as it is good contests. So I would vote England - other cricket but there is so much cricket better than the four options - India-Sri Lanka, South Africa-England for two.
Sri Lanka v Bangladesh ftw
Nothing gets the juices flowing like a Pakistan-Sri Lanka nailbiter tbh.
I'm afraid you havent got the correct option for me. I would vote for England and this is a stupid question. Yes I prefer the Ashes but I wouldnt want to play them all the time and nobody else! How it is now will do just fine thanks!
India-Australia or South Africa-Australia.

Would rather see some good cricket than watch England get smashed for the umpteenth time.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Congratulations to the following people on their illiteracy... tbh that's why I put in the fifth option, because I've no doubt this will seem a stupid question to neutral parties. To be fair however, so far the Aussie vote is 1-1 and the English vote is 3-1, with the 1 being a non-Englishman who didn't read the question properly.
I don't know whats bugging you today. You've been putting out the roll eyes and the put downs. Tad ill informed too, considering I didn't even vote in the poll :shrug:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't know whats bugging you today. You've been putting out the roll eyes and the put downs. Tad ill informed too, considering I didn't even vote in the poll :shrug:
Still quite clearly a thread intended only for the poms and the convicts though.

Matt79

Global Moderator
haha - taking me much too seriously! The roll eyes in the CW chestnut were in large part tongue in cheek, and again my 'put down' this thread was made more in jest than with the intent of insult. ;)

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
haha - taking me much too seriously! The roll eyes in the Ashes vs other cricket thread were in large part tongue in cheek, and again my 'put down' this thread was made more in jest than with the intent of insult. ;)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As an England fan it is the Ashes miles ahead. There are then only two other always important series. vs West Indies and just behind vs South Africa.

What I mean by that is that even if both teams are terrible then they are still big events. WI is certainly the second biggest.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
You wrote England fans, not Englishmen.

I want the England team to win even though I didn't start following them till I was fifteen...