• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes vs other cricket

What would you prefer?

• Total voters

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that generally speaking the Ashes mean more to the Pom's than the Aussie's. Be interesting to see how the poll-results end up.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yeah. I'd have said the reverse. Aussies have a pathological desire to beat up their allegorical father on the sporting field to prove some kind of point about our status.

I forget the England football manager's name that signed for a friendly with Australia, and fielded a second string team that was focusing on practising new tactics. We brought our best team and played out of our skins to fluke a win. In the ensuing outcry in England the manager, who was a Swede IIRC, said he hadn't been aware of the history and culture of Ashes contests, and if he'd known how the Aussies would approach it (as one of the most important games outside a WC we'd played) he would never have made the booking.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I'm not nuteral, but I think it's a stupid question. I love the Ashes as much as the next bloke, but having the Ashes only would be dire, and they would get old, and the sense of competiton and excitement would disappear, making it a dull and lifeless game. Out of those two options, I would take other cricket, but I reckon it's awesome the way it is. The Ashes aren't coming around too often, and makes the build up and series so much more entertaining and exciting.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah. I'd have said the reverse. Aussies have a pathological desire to beat up their allegorical father on the sporting field to prove some kind of point about our status.

I forget the England football manager's name that signed for a friendly with Australia, and fielded a second string team that was focusing on practising new tactics. We brought our best team and played out of our skins to fluke a win. In the ensuing outcry in England the manager, who was a Swede IIRC, said he hadn't been aware of the history and culture of Ashes contests, and if he'd known how the Aussies would approach it (as one of the most important games outside a WC we'd played) he would never have made the booking.
Eriksson.

Weren't a fluke tho; you thoroughly merited the win which was (IIRC) your first in the round-ball code.

Agree with your broader gist tho; the fact that we finished above you in the Olympics' medals table for the first time since Adam was a lad (well, Montreal in 76, actually, I think) seemed to set off a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth down there, despite the fact that it was because of sports that 99% of British sports fans don't give a tuppeny toss about for 99% of the time.

The stock answer is that you're a (relatively) new nation with strong cultural ties to Mother England and are constantly trying to **** said mother in a sporting Oedipal way because you're seeking to establish your identity on the world stage. Not sure I buy it, but there's possibly a grain of truth.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Congratulations to the following people on their illiteracy... tbh that's why I put in the fifth option, because I've no doubt this will seem a stupid question to neutral parties. To be fair however, so far the Aussie vote is 1-1 and the English vote is 3-1, with the 1 being a non-Englishman who didn't read the question properly.
I follow Australian cricket more then most of the Australian born ****s on this fourm. I demand a vote.

Matt79

Global Moderator
The question is more one of the culture/values of two particular fan bases, rather than their knowledge of cricket. But if you consider yourself an Australian fan, go for it - was yanking Hak's chain a bit.

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Eriksson.

Weren't a fluke tho; you thoroughly merited the win which was (IIRC) your first in the round-ball code.

Agree with your broader gist tho; the fact that we finished above you in the Olympics' medals table for the first time since Adam was a lad (well, Montreal in 76, actually, I think) seemed to set off a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth down there, despite the fact that it was because of sports that 99% of British sports fans don't give a tuppeny toss about for 99% of the time.

The stock answer is that you're a (relatively) new nation with strong cultural ties to Mother England and are constantly trying to **** said mother in a sporting Oedipal way because you're seeking to establish your identity on the world stage. Not sure I buy it, but there's possibly a grain of truth.
Exactly. Sport is one field where Australia likes to feel that we can genuinely play with the big boys. And 200 years on, although much more dilute than was previously the case, Mother England remains the benchmark against which we measure ourselves in lots of ways...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Ashes all the way, even if I do think said preoccupation is perhaps detrimental to our performance against other teams sometimes. You can't beat that feeling you get in the lead-up to an Ashes series. I won't mention how I feel during and after said series mind, having tasted victory once (we have won the Ashes three times in my life but I am too young to recall the first two)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Congratulations to the following people on their illiteracy... tbh that's why I put in the fifth option, because I've no doubt this will seem a stupid question to neutral parties. To be fair however, so far the Aussie vote is 1-1 and the English vote is 3-1, with the 1 being a non-Englishman who didn't read the question properly.
When the poll options are as ******** as they are, then you can't blame people.