Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: England vs Australia - an ODI series too far?

England vs Australia - an ODI series too far?

Next summer, in a piece of scheduling that I've previously criticised, England and Australia will square off in a 7 game ODI series once the Ashes has concluded.

It's a daft piece of scheduling AFAIC, primarily because in my opinion it's the opposite to the schedule of 2005, where the ODI series whetted the appetite for the Test series which followed. Here, it seems to have been tacked on as an afterthought - not the best marketing for an ODI series I'd have thought.

However, it's also a pointless, and possibly dangerous exercise in my opinion because of the volume of cricket that will be undertaken before.

So far this winter/summer, Australia have been in India for a 4 test series, and hosted New Zealand and South Africa. Over the next month they have 2 more T20Is, 5 match ODI series against South Africa and New Zealand, before hoping on a plane to South Africa and squaring off again in a 3 Test, 1 T20, 5 ODI tour. Those Aussies contracted to the IPL will then jet off there, before hitting England for the World Twenty20, and the Ashes series which is an intense a tour as I've seen for the modern era - 2 tour matches, 2 back to back tests, a further tour game, 2 more back to back tests, another tour game, and the 5th and final test.

It's an immensely intense schedule, and there's the risk that players like Michael Clarke, Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee (if involved), Ricky Ponting etc. will be at breaking point. So why burden them with a further 7 ODIs, when it is almost inevitable that players will need rest or be unable to perform at 100% due to fatigue and niggles, thus shortchanging themselves, the opposition and the paying public. It's even crazier, because according to the future tours programme on cricinfo, the Aussies are due back in 2010 for 5 more ODIs!

We've already seen something similar happen with the visit of South Africa last summer, when after a tough opening to 2008, the Proteas had little more to give come the ODI series, and were spanked as a result.

So what's the solution? In my opinion, the cricketing world needs more split tours, similar to what we saw between Australia and India. Australia played a 7 ODI series in 2007, before returning this year to play the Test series. They'd surely benefit from doing the same next summer, where the South Africans could have taken their place instead of playing England last summer. This would be of benefit to the players - an ODI tour can be over in a matter of 2-3 weeks, as opposed to the 2 months that the Test leg of the Ashes tour takes up. It could also lead to higher quality cricket between fresher players, something which would both give the paying public value for money, and do wonders to improve the brand image of cricket.

Thoughts?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    It's obviously more of an issue for bowlers, particularly quicks, than batsmen, so it's really only likely to impact on Johnson and Lee, the only two who currently play both tests and ODIs. But it's far better for them to be at breaking point by the end of a 7-match ODI series than to be at breaking point at the end of the Ashes, so in a way your second point contradicts your first.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Yeah, valid points for sure. Althoguh Aussies suffering from burnout isn't particularly high on my list of concerns

I think a key point that you made early on was that the build-up in 05 whetted the appetite whereas an ODI series after the Ashes is always going to be an anti-climax (I was made up when we won the CB series, but would have been happier if had come in an ODI-only tour, or before that dismal Ashes). That being said, they did play the same number of games in 05 that they are going to in 09, more or less, just that it was in a different order
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    It's obviously more of an issue for bowlers, particularly quicks, than batsmen, so it's really only likely to impact on Johnson and Lee, the only two who currently play both tests and ODIs. But it's far better for them to be at breaking point by the end of a 7-match ODI series than to be at breaking point at the end of the Ashes, so in a way your second point contradicts your first.
    My initial criticism of the scheduling was based on how likely I would be to watch the ODI series.

Having actually looked into how much cricket Australia will play from now to September, it's an even stupider piece of scheduling. An ODI series between the two, particularly considering Australia are scheduled to be in England for an ODI series in 2010, is completely unneccesary.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    7 match one day series are ridiculous at the best of times, with this sort of workload it just makes it worse. Should be a three match series and thats it.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    What's the idea behind the 2010 series anyway? Will we playing three ODI series that summer, or is one of the touring teams not playing any ODIs?

That's the summer Bangaldesh are over IIRC, might be to do with that actually

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    What's the idea behind the 2010 series anyway? Will we playing three ODI series that summer, or is one of the touring teams not playing any ODIs?

That's the summer Bangaldesh are over IIRC, might be to do with that actually
    Yeah, England play 6 Tests & 13 ODIs instead of 7 Tests & 10 ODIs that summer.

Horrible imbalance, obv.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Maybe they realized England doesn't play enough ODI cricket.

Dunno about imbalance, but I think England plays the least amount of ODI cricket among all the test-playing nations? Maybe that's good, maybe not, just saying. That said, 7-ODI series are a bit much, IMO.

Interesting tidbit - England is the only test-playing team (non-minnow) that doesn't have a single player who has played over 200 ODIs. The most is Stewart with 170. Just thought that was odd. :o

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by krkode View Post

Dunno about imbalance, but I think England plays the least amount of ODI cricket among all the test-playing nations?
    ODIs between September 2003 and September 2008 (so the last five full home seasons)

India 157
    Australia 143
    SL 132
    Pakistan 123
    WI 119
    England 117
    NZ 114
    SA 114
    Bangladesh 110

Up to about 2000 England played fewer ODIs (which is partly why no one has played 200 - also that they haven't had a young talent who was an undisputed fixture for 10 years - Collingwood should make it before the next World Cup), but it's changed in this century. Yes, England still play few compared to the subcontinent, but nearly 25 per year should be more than enough.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by krkode View Post

Dunno about imbalance, but I think England plays the least amount of ODI cricket among all the test-playing nations? Maybe that's good, maybe not, just saying. That said, 7-ODI series are a bit much, IMO.
    There's a good reason for that - we're not very good...

The sheduling issue isn't going to stop unfortunatly. While the rewards keep increasing for hosting more and more games in the calendar year - the more and more games were going to pack into a finite space.

Unfortunatly I fear that until a player dies/becomes seriously ill from the international calendar, then we are going to be on this ever increasing scale.

Would split tours work?

eg last summer, instead of playing South Africa, we could possibly have hosted say, Pakistan for an ODI series, then hosted South Africa this summer instead of Australia.

Those damn Indians and their 7 match ODI series.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

U19 Cricketer
    This doesn't look good for our players

On a positive note, in some ways a lot of cricket can be a good thing. No doubt some of the main guys will need to be rested at some stage, and what better opportunity to give some of the younger guys a go.

Obviously with the Ashes it is a very important series and we want to put forward the strongest team we can, but if in some of the ODI series' we play a team consisting of people like Dave Warner, Brett Geeves and Luke Ronchi. Hell, maybe in one of the Twenty20 matches (not in the world cup) they could rest Ponting, Clarke and Hussey and give someone like Cameron White a run as captain. I can't see how it would hurt.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Those damn Indians and their 7 match ODI series.
    rofl...

But seriously... I have always hated 7 match ODI series.. Only way they are good is that they give opportunity for player rotation and we may get to see some guys who have been on the fringes play the real thing..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Given it's in September, half of them will probably rain off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information